Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Plasti-Dip Happy Feelings!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Stitch09
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro5jeff
Hi P-dippers,I have to ask, are you removing the grill surround before P-D'ing or leaving it in place?
Remove, definitely. This way you can be sure you're getting complete coverage of the trim and you don't want to over spray onto or into the grill which is a different shade of black.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
AndresR
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro5jeff
Hi P-dippers,I have to ask, are you removing the grill surround before P-D'ing or leaving it in place?
I removed mine, the upper part is easy, the lower a bit tricky. Check this video at 3:00

Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Pro5jeff
2nd Gear
Thanks for the quick response, remove it is!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Rgoodwin
4th Gear
Take it off. Tape the area underneath before removing the bottom surround. I scratched my bumper slightly either removing or putting back on. It is a tight fit when opening the bonnet now but no problem.

Plasti-Dip Happy Feelings!-image-3525957180.jpg

Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Pro5jeff
2nd Gear
Thanks Rgoodwin,
Great advice, don't want to do any scratching

Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndresR
I used it con my front grille, scoop. Saddly ran out of plasti dip to finish the headlights and tail lamps.

Not very sure about the scoop, when I get more and paint the surrond of the headlights will compare with my stock blue scoop (I used another scoop I had hehe). And will also take better pictures
I think it came out pretty darn good

I've been trying to source another scoop so I can put a cool design right at the opening (before the grill). I ultimately want a black scoop with a nice design in pepper white and red (pinstripe style) - subtle, but noticeable!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Whitie
Neutral
Plasti-Dip'd Camden S

I was told about this magic juice a month or so ago and I'm a complete ADDICT!!! EVERY black thing you see is "dip'd". Emblems, door handles, exhaust tips, wheels & headlight, tail light & grill trim. The roof, scoop & stainless trim around car are next. (footnote: Do NOT take your MINI thru a "pull-thru" car wash if you do the wheels... the rub rail scuffs the front driver's wheel enough to peel up the dip... OOPS! But nuttin' 60 minutes and $6 didn't fix! )
Here's a link to pics of a clone of mine as it was when I bought it in January: http://www.automobilesreview.com/pic...r-s-50-camden/

... and now. LOVE THE DIP!!!!
Total $ spent so far? $6 a can (at Home Depot) times 6 cans and some masking tape... $40 bucks!!! BTW, Fonzie has the best "how-to" vids and links to buy all the colors at: http://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom?feature=watch
(No, I'm not a paid spokesman nor do I have any vested interest in Plasti-Dip... the s#it's just incredible!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
FIRESTARTER
2nd Gear
Whitie, can you post a pics of the door handles. Thanks

Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used PD on my headlight/taillight surrounds as well as grill (grill is now 3M CF) and the stuff works very well and matches the oem fender material perfectly. There are people who poo poo PD including one well known MINI vinyl installer I know of who claimed PD is cheap and chips and peels if the wind blows stiff. Not true as we all know. My ZpD has been on over a year and still looks new.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Whitie
Neutral
Originally Posted by FIRESTARTER
Whitie, can you post a pics of the door handles. Thanks

This was my 1st day, freshman year of Plasti-dip High... needs to be put on thicker (more coats), and in warmer temps (was 43 degrees when applied). The beauty of this s#it is that it's crazy cheap, easy, and can be redone as many times as necessary... and when the "black out" look goes the way of the leisure suit, just peel it off!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Enzof104
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whitie

This was my 1st day, freshman year of Plasti-dip High... needs to be put on thicker (more coats), and in warmer temps (was 43 degrees when applied). The beauty of this s#it is that it's crazy cheap, easy, and can be redone as many times as necessary... and when the "black out" look goes the way of the leisure suit, just peel it off!

I've found that the temp is just about the most important part of applying it. too cold and it splatters out of the can and then doesnt blend very well. I used a painters lamp - $4 plus a $5 spot light bulb at Home Depot - the last time I did it. The heat from the lamp was just enough to balance the 45degree air temp.
Practice now and go big as spring gets warmer.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM
FIRESTARTER
2nd Gear

Nice thanks

Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM
jtack
4th Gear
I would buy some handle covers from out motoring and plastidip them black. You will get a much cleaner result.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought a can of Smoke PD, when I get my car back Friday, Saturday morning I will start to PD the side reflectors, it's so ugly the way it looks now. It'll look 100x better when I'm done smoking them out.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Gijs Spruyt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by danigurrl
I've plasti-dipped almost everything black on my car, including my roof rack. I love it.

Hey Danygurll,

I really like what you've done to your Mini! I've a 2002 MCS in Silver/black and i'm looking at your stripes. The way you've done them is how i'm gonna do it too! But I'm going to use plasti dip first, to see if it suits me.....

do you have more pictures, particularly of the back?

much appreciated...

Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 AM
02MiniStang
Neutral
Originally Posted by Richieb0y28
just did some plasti-dipping today, basically had to re-touch the trim pieces on the car....tailight, headlight/washers, gas cap, and front grill.

I've been thinking about PD'ing my hood scoop and door handles, but I'm still debating. Has anyone had experience with either of those?
I Plasti-dipped my hood scoop and it came out wonderful until yesterday it flew off and was destroyed on the highway. I forgot to put the nuts back on after taking the scoop off. I have another one on hand so I am going to paint that one and put it back on.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Gijs Spruyt
1st Gear
and don't forget the nuts, this time

But anyhow, I can't help but noticing, the plasti dip finish of all these plasti-dipped parts is a bit bobly, not smooth? When I see all these videos from plastidipyourcar.com, I get the idea, it should be a smooth finnish if somewhat matted....

Is this normal behavior or is it just very difficult?

Gijs

Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 AM
02MiniStang
Neutral
Their are many reasons why they can turn out bubbly or blotchy. It all depends on the temperature outside, the wait time before each coat, the distance you are spraying at, and the angle your holding the can. I took my time with the hood scoop. I purchased the spray attachment for the aerosol cans that helped the spray pattern. My first coat was real, real light just to get a texture started on the scoop. Most people rush into it, and want to see results right then and there. I waited about 20 minutes between each coat and it was mid 80's outside. I did a total of 5 coats. It turned out smooth with no bubbles or buildup. I also cleaned the nozzle after each coat to make sure it came out the same way each time.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
What exactly are the benefits to plasti-dipping vs wrapping? I work with cars all day long and I cannot understand for the life of me, the whole plasti-dip trend. Sure, the stuff looks good from afar .. but up close, it's gritty, rough, textured, and just totally unclean.

Wrapping takes half the time, comes out smoother than a baby's bottom, and can still be removed anytime.

Is there another benefit to the plasti-dip or do people choose it because it's cheaper?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Gijs Spruyt
1st Gear
I think this is because Dip is accesable. I wouldn't know how to do this wrapping. Were to get the materials and such.

Dip I can just order from plastidip.nl

Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM
kacken
2nd Gear
I was told about this magic juice a month or so ago and I'm a complete ADDICT!!! EVERY black thing you see is "dip'd". Emblems, door handles, exhaust tips, wheels & headlight, tail light & grill trim. The roof, scoop & stainless trim around car are next. (footnote: Do NOT take your MINI thru a "pull-thru" car wash if you do the wheels... the rub rail scuffs the front driver's wheel enough to peel up the dip... OOPS! But nuttin' 60 minutes and $6 didn't fix! )
Here's a link to pics of a clone of mine as it was when I bought it in January: http://www.automobilesreview.com/pic...r-s-50-camden/

... and now. LOVE THE DIP!!!!
Total $ spent so far? $6 a can (at Home Depot) times 6 cans and some masking tape... $40 bucks!!! BTW, Fonzie has the best "how-to" vids and links to buy all the colors at: http://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom?feature=watch
(No, I'm not a paid spokesman nor do I have any vested interest in Plasti-Dip... the s#it's just incredible!!!
Killer job! I have been doing the same thing to mine. How did you do the key hole on the driver's side door handle? I have the handles and window trim left to go, and in spring I plan to Joey mod my headlights when I do the bixenon retrofit.
Any advice is appreciated

Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 PM
imaking
1st Gear
There are a number of contributors to a rough finish, as has been outlined. Environment really has a lot of effect and most people don't seem particular enough to mind a little texture. I went to a guy locally who's been making a killing dipping cars and quickly decided there was no way I'd pay someone for that kind of quality when I'm sure I could do it myself.

I mixed a custom color - the local "pro" did his car before I did mine and my first attempt at "dipping" was my 2012 Scion tC. His car looked like total garbage next to mine - he even made a comment along the same lines.

Random:

Dipping the handles isn't a great idea as it's more likely to come off before you want it to.

Wrapping can take significantly longer than dipping. I'd actually say wrapping on average takes twice as long, costs 3-4x as much, and takes at least twice as long to remove.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Gauntylgrym
1st Gear
My 2007 Astro Black MC is begging to have some custom PD applied. My only problem is...do I go for the "black-out" look, or something a bit...brighter? When clean, the Astro Black metallic is rather prominent...causing an almost bluish hue to it. I wonder how matte black from the PD on all the trim would look against the not-quite-utterly-black color of the OEM paint.

I'm thinking about doing sort of a burnt orange color (if possible), akin to danigurrl's OEM paint, except this would be in reverse obviously. But again...wondering about the matte contrasting with the Astro Black.

Obviously it's my decision and preference, but if someone has some perspective I've failed to think of it would be much appreciated.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:47 PM
AndresR
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Plasti dip also has a "glossifier", like a shiny transparent layer, it could help you in case the matte look doesn't work.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Gauntylgrym
1st Gear
So here's my first go at Plasti Dip! I think it turned out great. This stuff is indeed very easy to work with. Like anything, quality prep work is essential. Some before and after PD on the wheels as well as Back to Black on the trim:

Name:  20140810_134844_1_zpsclsizdii.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  132.6 KB

Name:  20140810_172012_RichtoneHDR_1_1_zpsrtxanznw.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  20140810_181729_RichtoneHDR_2_zps3rfzcrl1.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  81.2 KB

I took off the center caps and taped off the center area of the center caps to spray separately, then installed them after spraying the wheels. Turned out cleeeeean.

...and yes, there's some trim damage to the underside. I didn't notice it until after I bought the car. Gotta look into replacing it...=/

As for the matte finish...I think it looks great as-is. Makes for a nice match to the plastic trim (after Back to Black, of course). So I'm not gonna use Glossifier.

Last edited by Gauntylgrym; 08-10-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Plasti-Dip Happy Feelings!