Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior "engine oil level" gauge

Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"engine oil level" gauge

any gauge around for that? or at least a way to check this out other than checking the dip stick?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 AM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do those exist for any car? I've never heard of such a thing myself.

I think usually you have a pressure gauge for oil, and an oil temp gauge on trucks and/or racing cars...

Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
genik
5th Gear
I think all BMW have such a metering option, i dont know if its a gauge, but they have something to show the level other than the dip stick.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
New audis do not come with a dip stick...... level is checked via ecu/sensor

Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM
genik
5th Gear
see!!! thats what i meant, same stands for new bmws

Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
My 1989 MB 190E 2.6 had an oil-level light, as well as an oil pressure light. I bought it used, with 80k+ miles, and had palpitations the first night the "oil light" came on during a freeway drive. A quick check showed I was down just over a qt with the owner's manual showing which light was which.

My wife's 2000 Trans Am WS6 would show "low oil level" in the DIC panel.

So some do have it.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM
genik
5th Gear
So big question now is, if there is a way using a 3rd party gauge (or anything else) that can indicate the engine oil level!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm blown away you're wanting to hot-wire in something that mechanically is already provided...

Originally Posted by genik
So big question now is, if there is a way using a 3rd party gauge (or anything else) that can indicate the engine oil level!
All depends what you're willing to do to make it work.
Keep in mind, you would have to mount, splice and wire, and test it to make sure it's 100% working all the time...
Here's some more help via the net: Electronic Oil Level Gauges - Automotive Applications

- Erik

Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 PM
genik
5th Gear
Well i think having a indicator inside the cabin is very helpful, especially for those minis that burn oil like mine! One more reason is the facts that you cant always really make out the level on the dipstick, its a little disorientating.
Have you installed something like this?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
You drive a mini, not a bmw....so to save a few $, a few things are not included. Heck most mini drivers LIKE looking under the hood, and maybe getting dirty.
Have not heard of anybody installing a oil level guage....lots if work, very little return...and having to mostly dissaemble a motor, find a mounting point, comparing it to the dipstick, wiring it up....and then do you trust it...a dipstick works, is fast, simple convient...a light or electrical method of checking (especially a jury rigged aftermarket system) might not be trustworthy....the last thing you want in an oil level sensor....

Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
You drive a mini, not a bmw....so to save a few $, a few things are not included. Heck most mini drivers LIKE looking under the hood, and maybe getting dirty.
Have not heard of anybody installing a oil level guage....lots if work, very little return...and having to mostly dissaemble a motor, find a mounting point, comparing it to the dipstick, wiring it up....and then do you trust it...a dipstick works, is fast, simple convient...a light or electrical method of checking (especially a jury rigged aftermarket system) might not be trustworthy....the last thing you want in an oil level sensor....
This^^.

Calibrating this and finding a proper and reliable mounting location would involve dis/reassembling the motor several times, yet you can't read the dipstick without trouble (which i agree is a pain to read, but its not impossible and certainly something that you can get used to... I can instantly read it upon pulling the dipstick out now, its not that bad). I dunno, its always feasible, but you'd be in a LOT of money, and introduce many possible other problems in the process/afterwards with this already fragile engine. I check my oil every time I fill up gas, which is about once a week, takes me 30 seconds and is part of routine now. I carry a 5 gal jug in the trunk incase I ever need to top off.

But seeing how negative and conservative some people are on the board about trying new things, I say go for it and let us know how it comes out

Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Or buy an aftermarket dipstick that is easier to read........

Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or ad an oil pressure gauge that is responsive so you can see when the pressure starts to drop. On my 1971 Triumph I can tell when the oil starts to get worn as the pressure will drop slightly.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
oxspeed
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
Or ad an oil pressure gauge that is responsive so you can see when the pressure starts to drop. On my 1971 Triumph I can tell when the oil starts to get worn as the pressure will drop slightly.
Bingo, this man gets the prize

He's right. while you do actually have a level sensor already it's worth less, it may as well be a "your car is kaput" light.

Installing a good pressure sensor would be a breeze on these engines, there are ports all over the head. with that, you can keep a close eye on when its truly ok to beat on your ride. While you can you should take it easy on your mini until the temps ramp up. this takes much longer then people think.

Merc's actually blink at you if you drive to hard to fast.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
But seeing how negative and conservative some people are on the board about trying new things, I say go for it and let us know how it comes out
To be honest, this last phrase of yours really helped me decide... well ive decided anf im not going to try it

and btw what aftermarket dipsticks have you seen around for the R56?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM
genik
5th Gear
thanx thats a great dipstick, are there any other vendors that have similar dipsticks?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
I have not heard of any other aftermarket dip sticks.

Have you tried to take the OEM dipstick out and laid it down on a paper towel. I find it easy to read the towel.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
genik
5th Gear
thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that but i always have to have a paper towel to check, i prefer to have a dipstick like the one you posted and not beeing in the need to have a paper towel

Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that but i always have to have a paper towel to check, i prefer to have a dipstick like the one you posted and not beeing in the need to have a paper towel
To check your oil properly YOU MUST FIRST WIPE OFF ANY DIPSTICK, THEN PUT IT BACK IN...then pull it out and read it.....

Oil gets splashed around..
.to mearly pull out ANY dipstick a just look is worse than useless. It MUST BE WIPED CLEAN....stuck in, THEN READ.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 PM
genik
5th Gear
well i didnt have this oil splashing issue cause i check oil on purpose only before i start the car in the morning, when the oil is settled down and its easier to be seen on the dipstick

Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
well i didnt have this oil splashing issue cause i check oil on purpose only before i start the car in the morning, when the oil is settled down and its easier to be seen on the dipstick
But you are NOT supposed to check the oil level on a cold engine.

Straight from the mini manual:

Engine oil
The engine oil consumption is dependent on driving style and driving conditions.

Check the engine oil level regularly, e.g. when refueling.

Checking engine oil level

1. With the vehicle's engine at normal operating
temperature, i.e. after uninterrupted
driving for at least 6 miles/10 km, park the
vehicle on a level surface.

2. Switch off the engine.

3. Pull the dipstick out after approx. 5 minutes
and wipe it off with a lint-free cloth, paper
towel or similar material.

4. Carefully push the dipstick all the way into
the guide tube and pull it out again.

The oil level should be between the two
marks on the dipstick.

The oil quantity corresponding to the difference
between the two marks on the dipstick is 1 US
quart/1 liter.

Do not fill beyond the upper mark on the
dipstick. Excess oil will damage the
engine.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Yes you did...
oil splashes on the dipstick...then drips down it...even after sitting, just reading an unwiped dipstick gives you a FALSE reading....might be 3 quarts off....try it sometime.
if you are going to spend the time to open the hood, just do it right, and get a accurate reading.
An inaccurate reading can only give one a false sense of security, and confuse you when you are later told you are very low on oil......

Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 AM
genik
5th Gear
JESUS! are you guys certain? in which page does it say that?

Last edited by genik; 02-27-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM
genik
5th Gear
ok ive found where it in the manual but i must say that ive just tested it and either my way or the manuals way the reading is the same

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior "engine oil level" gauge