Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Sunvisor airbag warning removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunvisor airbag warning removal

This is a quick tip on how to clean up your sunvisors in about 5 minutes:

Many of us like our MINIs for their vintage appeal. The mandated airbag warning print on the sunvisors spoils that a bit, and looks just plain ugly. On cars with a vinyl sunvisor, they can be removed very easily. Note that while I have done this on more than one make of car, I can't say that this can be done harmlessly on any vehicle. But my 1st gen Cooper was done flawlessly.

The key is to simply remove it with solvent. I used Goof Off, and a terry towel. For sunvisors with more texture, a medium soft brush (old toothbrush) can work well in conjunction with a cloth. I simply wet a section of the towel pretty well, and cover the screen printed area, letting the solvent do the work. I did this in place, no reason to remove the visors. After letting it set for 10 seconds or so, lightly rub in a circular motion to remove the loosened printing. You may find that it comes off in layers (yellow, red, and black printing first, then the white base). It took me two repeats of this. I did a final third wipe over the entire bottom of the visor. Then I followed with a wipe of rubbing alcohol, and finally, a clear water wipe.

You may want to cover the front area of the car (seats and carpet) with an old bedsheet, because the printing comes off in flakes, and will fall. I never have, and there is no problem, I simply vacuum the flakes when done. I said five minutes, but realistically it should take two or so. I should have stopped to take in-progress photos, but once I start doing something, I can't stop, sorry about that. Anyway, in my photos you can make out the edges of where the screen printing was. I attribute this to the freshly exposed vinyl compared to the vinyl that has been exposed for 9 years (in my case). This will go away after some applications of detail spray. I just did this last night, but I'll update after my next cleaning.

Attached Thumbnails Sunvisor airbag warning removal-img_0985-1-.jpg   Sunvisor airbag warning removal-img_0991-1-.jpg   Sunvisor airbag warning removal-img_0989-1-.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like a dummy. I did a quick search to see if this had been posted before, and didn't see any previous threads. Of course after posting this, I did a search with different words, and see this topic has been covered multiple times. This is something I have always "just done," and never read a tutorial for. Before attempting this, you may want to look at some of the other methods, and see if they are more appealing. I liked this one, in particular: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rom-visor.html Of course this one requires removal of the visor, a simple task, but one that will increase the time of the job.

Anyway, I apologize for submitting something that has been well covered already.