Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Continuous Power for Cigarette Lighter--Anyone?

Old 01-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone found a power source (wire) to provide non-switched current to the cigarette lighter beneath the center console? Having this socket only powered when the key is on eliminates leaving a cellphone in your car overnight to charge; or using this socket for a trickle charger when the car may be parked for long periods. My experience with other German-designed vehicles has been that this socket is always powered.

Any suggestions/identification of where to pull power from? Thanks
Charlie

Old 01-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed a separate power outlet in both my Euro parcel shelf and in the boot (I have an '03 MCS that did not come with the boot power outlet). Both of these are wired directly to the battery through separate 20 amp fuses. I did this because I have several situations where I want constant power, but I did not want to change over the 'switched' power at the console socket because having it switched comes in handy too.

I use a small solar 'trickle' charger to keep batteries topped off in vehicles that are standing for a length of time. With the standard outlet configuration of the MINI, you cant do this.

Offhand I dont know which fuse is best for pulling constant power from, you can use a multimeter or test light with the key off, find an accessory position that has a substantial ( >15 amp) fuse that remains powered with the key off. Install a 'fuse tap' in that location and route your power wire there, or pass a wire from the battery (or battery terminal in the fuse box in case of MCS) through the firewall to the outlet. Make sure to add a fuse at the power take off point.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Teampajn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great bears idea of tapping into a fuse using a fuse tap is a good idea, but the wiring that is in that spot may not be your best bet. I just ran my constant power straight from the power wire that runs to the fuse box.(located in the rear of the fuse box) Then just put your in line fuse there. It is the safest and best route for your MINI. Always be careful not to run too much power through a single wire, it can cause a fire.

Old 07-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUMP!

ummm what about '05's? Anyone with pics? or any updates? I really want to be able to charge my phone while at work or at night... and my drives are only long enough for a half charge or so...

-Josh

Old 07-31-2005, 04:21 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might end up draining your car battery little by little if that's the case.
Do you take longer trips on the weekend to charge up your car battery?

regardless, it should be easy to make... just get one of those LittleFuse
jumpers and try several fuses under the dash to see which ones are
non-switched. I wouldn't run anything larger than to charge your
celphone though.

otherwise, if you want to run higher amps, run a direct wire from
the fusebox from under the bonnet through the firewall and run a
20A fuse in series. You can buy the female cigarette lighter sockets
at RadioShack along with everything else.

Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
BUMP!

ummm what about '05's? Anyone with pics? or any updates? I really want to be able to charge my phone while at work or at night... and my drives are only long enough for a half charge or so...

-Josh