Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ultragauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats mighty nice of you... I am going to AMVIV in May. Don't know about this fall.

I sent the Ultragauge back and ordered the Edge CS. It seems like a nicer unit (as it should be for the price) Hopefully no more battery problems with it. Just don't think the UltraGauge is ready for the MINI.

Larry

Originally Posted by dking3
Larry, thanks so much for doing this testing for us. You can see there's a bunch of us who will benefit. I really appreciate not having to do all the trial and error work. We're going on a big West Coast RV trip in the Fall, towing our MINI, and if you'll be at a MINI event along the way, I'd like to bring you a homebrew.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM
RllyDrvrIX
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shipped mine back... I'm moving on to something else, just not sure what.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
I'll let you know how the Edge CS works out. Looks like a beauty....

Larry

Originally Posted by RllyDrvrIX
Shipped mine back... I'm moving on to something else, just not sure what.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 PM
RllyDrvrIX
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cop1406
I'll let you know how the Edge CS works out. Looks like a beauty....

Larry
Thank-you!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive had the CS now for a week and I wouldnt give it back, its very sweet, now I have to figure out how to integrate it into the car better so it doesnt look so "tacked on". I may try taking one of the CS mounting pods for a truck and moulding it into the A pillar cover. Prob have to remove the airbag first, ahhh well, mods are usually never easy. Anyhow, absolutely no elec draw-down issues like some of you were having, so, so far, so good. Gonna do the VAG blow-off valve next, then maybe the leather armrest kits and possibly intercooler core.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
Ive had the CS now for a week and I wouldnt give it back, its very sweet, now I have to figure out how to integrate it into the car better so it doesnt look so "tacked on". I may try taking one of the CS mounting pods for a truck and moulding it into the A pillar cover. Prob have to remove the airbag first, ahhh well, mods are usually never easy. Anyhow, absolutely no elec draw-down issues like some of you were having, so, so far, so good. Gonna do the VAG blow-off valve next, then maybe the leather armrest kits and possibly intercooler core.
Good news, can't wait to get mine...

Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 AM
RllyDrvrIX
3rd Gear
Good news indeed. I'm saving my pennies now...

Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the Edge products go, I had a tuner/guage unit installed on my F-150 for over two years and never had single issue with it. Very well made unit and was worth every penny. I may look into this as well since I was wanting some way to better monitor my engine.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
2 weeks with the Edge now, no batt issues, still lovin this unit, the ECT and MAP readouts are the best, hit 29PSI absolute for a few seconds the other day. IMHO, this is the unit to have if you have the $$$$$ available. Won't be disappointed.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Okay, so I have had the Edge CS gauge in place now for several months, no batt issues whatsoever and I love this machine. In any kind of lighting it is never too bright or too dim, has never washed out on me and the update response speed is lightning. I got a CEL the other day and wanted to know if it was serious, the Edge reads it out by code and by English message, it was spurious misfire detect, cleared it in seconds. I cant recommend this unit highly enough, might step up to the CTS touchscreen unit later. You might think I work for them ...... LOL
(I dont, I just recommend what works)

Old 09-16-2011, 12:13 PM
rederik
2nd Gear
I have a late build 09 S and I just installed the Ultra Gauge EM, it has the metric & other extra gauges. It now has a boost gauge and can display 8 parameters on screen.

I've known about the batt drain issue but for the price of just a code reader, i took a chance. was planning on just unplugging it at the end of the day, just to be safe. i didn't remove it after 3 hours and the car starts (no deat batt, whew!).

However, if it is left plugged in and i start the car, i get a symbol on the tach. MINI on a lift, nothing else on the dash lights or the OBC. no codes on the Ultra Gauge either. The car drives fine, no problems otherwise. tried it a few times and same thing.

For now, i have to make sure to plug it in only after ignition on or starting the car. I'll somehow have to fashion a switch to power it on/off at pin 16 (12V of OBD), the OBD port on the car is too low to hook up a switched OBD port and the Gauge.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 PM
dking3
1st Gear
Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Zerohour
2nd Gear
I had been using an UG in my Subaru prior to purchase of the Mini. I'm curious if anyone ever considered something like this?

http://www.fes-auto.com/upload/doc/5...connectors.pdf

You could in theory get a power switch OBDII port connect and a standard OBDII port connector, wire the two together, and plug in the UG. You would just need to turn on/off the switch each time you drive. Or only turn on the UG when you wanted to be using it.

Anyone try this?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Holy thread re-incarnation!

Found this from Ultragauge while researching the UG for my Countryman S.

Sorry if dupe.

Vehicle specific Battery Drain
Solution

**** This issue was resolved with the introduction of UltraGauge EM version 1.2, which began shipping on 6/27/12

The following is not common, but has been seen on late Mini Coopers, 2007-2010 5 Series BMW, 2012 Ford Focus and some 2011+ F-150s and only applies for UltraGauge prior to version 1.2

In the past when the ignition switch was set from RUN to OFF, the power was physically cut to the vehicles systems. This is no longer true for many modern vehicles, when the ignition is switched from RUN to OFF, the vehicle's electrical system modules stay active drawing battery power for several minutes. Over time, various systems will enter lower power modes and the drain on the battery decreases, but never stops. However, UltraGauge can cause these systems to not enter low power mode. Normally once UG has detected ignition off, UG will enter a low power mode and wait for the vehicle's systems to become active at the next ignition on. However, since the vehicle's electrical systems do not shut down, UG quickly attempts to establish communication again. This communication in turn causes the vehicle's systems to remain on indefinitely and results in battery drain.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 AM
///Matthew
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I have recently been looking at the UG.

They say the problem has been resolved, but don't say how they corrected it.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Mical
4th Gear
They upgraded the internal software to version 1.2. Had mine now for 3 mos, absolutely no problems.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ///Matthew
I have recently been looking at the UG.

They say the problem has been resolved, but don't say how they corrected it.
No problems here, I'm confident there will be no battery drain. I have v1.2 and as stated above, they corrected the software to recognize the ECU shut down for Mini.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Glad they found a resolution. Bout 18 months now w/ the Edge CS and still think its the best accessory ever for any Cooper. Maybe in GEN III these morons will realize that a turbo car should NEVER ship w/o a temp guage and oil pressure. Seriously? The driver's car? What is going on at BMW?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
Glad they found a resolution. Bout 18 months now w/ the Edge CS and still think its the best accessory ever for any Cooper. Maybe in GEN III these morons will realize that a turbo car should NEVER ship w/o a temp guage and oil pressure. Seriously? The driver's car? What is going on at BMW?
I agree there should be a temp and oil gauge! Idiot lights are called idiot lights for a reason, you should know that your car is getting hot, BEFORE it overheats!

Anyway I wanted to link a continuance of this thread sort of:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ers-1-2-a.html

Old 11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Well here is how I did my install

I got rid of the openometer and used it as a mounting point for a temp gauge via the Ultra-Gauge, see my thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...penometer.html

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
BGA
2nd Gear
Ordered up an Ultra-Gauge (EM v1.2 version) just before the Thanksgiving holiday and received it that weekend
- quickly got it running ~ the User Manual is well written and the set up process is pretty intuitive
- installed via their windshield mount to poke out just below the toggle switches in my R53 (adhered to the plastic below & behind the toggles) - so it restricts access to one of the forward cup holder bins
- note the windshield mount's suction cup feature will not work on the grainy plastic that I stuck it to - so I used double sided tape and the provided velcro
- still playing with which gauges I want to see (lots of options and values) ~ the display is very clear and easy to read
- will show four, six, or eight gauges per "page" (screen) and up to seven pages can be cycled through - gauge determination, page set up and cycle options are all user customizable

I like it

I had little trouble completing the $9 Reward Redemption exercise (perhaps they have improved / streamlined that process)
UG's customer support was very responsive and helpful when I had a little confusion with their Factory Test procedure
~ and I got notification that the $9 credit was put into my account yesterday!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BGA
Ordered up an Ultra-Gauge (EM v1.2 version) just before the Thanksgiving holiday and received it that weekend
- quickly got it running ~ the User Manual is well written and the set up process is pretty intuitive
- installed via their windshield mount to poke out just below the toggle switches in my R53 (adhered to the plastic below & behind the toggles) - so it restricts access to one of the forward cup holder bins
- note the windshield mount's suction cup feature will not work on the grainy plastic that I stuck it to - so I used double sided tape and the provided velcro
- still playing with which gauges I want to see (lots of options and values) ~ the display is very clear and easy to read
- will show four, six, or eight gauges per "page" (screen) and up to seven pages can be cycled through - gauge determination, page set up and cycle options are all user customizable

I like it

I had little trouble completing the $9 Reward Redemption exercise (perhaps they have improved / streamlined that process)
UG's customer support was very responsive and helpful when I had a little confusion with their Factory Test procedure
~ and I got notification that the $9 credit was put into my account yesterday!
Yesterday, I too got notice of my $9 credit, I also got a human reply to my email from 3 weeks ago. :-)

I made a spreadsheet to make it easier to organize the screens. If you want it hit me up with a private message, with your email.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM
uconnhuskiesfans
3rd Gear
release 1.2 solved the dead battery issue

Old 02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Would someone who has successfully installed Ultragauge with release 1.2 in 2011 or newer Mini please post summary of modes used and other core set up settings. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
I have it running in my 2013. You just plug it in, and it finds all the gauges, then you just setup your screens. I did mine in a spreadsheet, so I knew what I wanted. If you PM me, I can email you my spreadsheet.

Also more info here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ers-1-2-a.html

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ultragauge Install