Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior LED 3rd Brake Light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED 3rd Brake Light?

Hey everybody. Wow, long time no post. I was wondering if anybody had installed the LED 3rd brake light. Mine recently broke and I'm debating between getting the factory set for around $160 or the 3rd party rear LED lights for $65 and they are LED...But I don't want it to look ricey or tacky either.

Does anybody have them and can post pictures or any suggestions? Also, another fear is that the LED will look completely different then the other 2 brake lights and again, will look awkward.

This is what I was considering:
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...77&SortOrder=1

Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM
mini53
3rd Gear
I did the black one with clear lense, I have a gray car, white roof, and I think it looks great for the price vs stock, better than I thought. If you want pics I can take one.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 PM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the one with the chrome housing. I actually prefer the factory look of a red lens but did not purchase a factory replacement since they are a lot more money and it seems the factory ones commonly break (like mine did). Between the two sold at Moss, I chose the chrome not because I prefer the look but because it should be brighter and therefore more noticeable. While I was replacing it, I added a flasher circuit as well to even increase conspicuity even more. The housing itself is reasonably built but not quite up to fitment standards of an OEM version. If an OEM one is a 10/10, this one would be an 8.5/10. The actual light output of the Moss unit appears to be brighter than the OEM version. Overall, I'm glad I bought it.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
mini53
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tlr1000
I bought the one with the chrome housing. I actually prefer the factory look of a red lens but did not purchase a factory replacement since they are a lot more money and it seems the factory ones commonly break (like mine did). Between the two sold at Moss, I chose the chrome not because I prefer the look but because it should be brighter and therefore more noticeable. While I was replacing it, I added a flasher circuit as well to even increase conspicuity even more. The housing itself is reasonably built but not quite up to fitment standards of an OEM version. If an OEM one is a 10/10, this one would be an 8.5/10. The actual light output of the Moss unit appears to be brighter than the OEM version. Overall, I'm glad I bought it.
I thought about the silver one, but I am not a big silver/chrome fan personally. I normally prefer stock too but I wasn't paying that ridiculous price! I had someone step on the brake light before I bolted it in and all I saw was red and worries about the black background were gone. And I agree, it seems way brighter than stock.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
Even after I ordered the chrome one, I still went back and forth a bit in my mind. After I installed it, I felt a bit better...it actually looks decent. I think either one is good in their own ways. If I had plans of blacking out all the chrome trim on the car, I definitely would have ordered the black one.

To the OP. Buy the Moss unit. The extra $100 for OEM is just not worth it.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Thanks for the information you guys. Would either of you mind posting pictures of yours? The top of my roof is black, where the unit goes in so i'm thinking of getting the black one in order for it to mesh more in

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If LED tail lights look ricey, someone needs to tell GM that they are ricing up the arrested with their Cadilacs.

Tha moss unit should be more reliable and cheaper, so go for it.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
If LED tail lights look ricey, someone needs to tell GM that they are ricing up the arrested with their Cadilacs.

Tha moss unit should be more reliable and cheaper, so go for it.
I don't think LED looks ricey but sometimes 3rd party solutions can or if you mix normal back end lights with 1 set of LED in the middle it can.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Project_2501
2nd Gear
If / when I need to replace this item, I plan to use the chrome one, but put some transparent red vinyl over it to match the tails.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
good idea I've also seen some specialty spray paints for plastic lenses. Common one is smoke but I've also seen red. Not sure how good those are though.

On another note, when I took the OEM housing out, I tested the leds and they were still working. That will go in to the spare parts bin for possible use on another project.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM
mini53
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
Thanks for the information you guys. Would either of you mind posting pictures of yours? The top of my roof is black, where the unit goes in so i'm thinking of getting the black one in order for it to mesh more in
Sorry for the salt

Attached Thumbnails LED 3rd Brake Light?-3rd.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 AM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
and here's mine. No salt but lots of water

Last edited by tlr1000; 01-16-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: changed picture
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Thanks for all the help and the pictures posted. I have a black top myself, so I'm hoping if I order the LED set with the black housing, that it will blend in nicely. Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Mister Chow
1st Gear
We just replaced ours with a stock unit. Alas there's a lack of affordable aftermarket options here in Canada. And of the few places that stock the third brake light, all were backordered.

I would think a silver housing would look pretty ricey unless you had a light coloured car. And since all third brake lights are LED I can't imagine how that would bother you.

Super easy job. Five minutes with a Torx-20 screwdriver. Open hatch, undo three screws, pop out light, unplug wires. Reverse to install.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those solutions look good to me. One question, how does one break the 3rd brake light in the first place?

I've seen a few oem 3rd brake lights for sale in the marketplace here.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Mister Chow
1st Gear
In our case I'm guessing either a snow brush or wash brush.

Likely it was from wedging the brush into the gap under the rear spoiler. That could put pressure directly onto the lens of the third brakelight.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:16 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mister Chow
In our case I'm guessing either a snow brush or wash brush.

Likely it was from wedging the brush into the gap under the rear spoiler. That could put pressure directly onto the lens of the third brakelight.
I always have my car hand washed. I went to CES and borrowed my fathers car and he took the Cooper to a regular carwash and boom, wash brush exploded it

Ordering from MOSS as we speak..type?...you read...

Edit: Their website is not Safari friendly. Had to use Firefox...

Last edited by illegalprelude; 01-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed the Moss unit identical to mini53 (pic below).

One thing to watch out for with these units is that the rubber seal around the edge is not nearly as well constructed as the OEM unit (at least, not on mine). I discovered this after I had washed the car (using a garden hose and spray nozzle; certainly not high pressure) and when I was done I notice that the fixture had soapy water trapped within it. I had to take it off, disassemble it, rinse it, and dry it out with my air compressor. Upon closer inspection, the seal on my light showed an irregular edge and in some spots did not even extend to the edge of the fixture.

I suppose I could have sent it back, but I wasn't certain that a replacement unit would have been an improvement. I just ended up fabricating my own supplemental gasket out of thin rubber material, and that seems to have done the trick.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
... One question, how does one break the 3rd brake light in the first place?...
Good question. In my case, I just noticed one day that the entire lens was missing. It looked like it just shattered cleanly off. I know I never impacted it with anything so I can only attribute it to substandard build quality. The 3rd brake light is not something I'd choose to replace with a different one if mine did not break. Hopefully, the Moss unit will last longer.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
mini53
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad

One thing to watch out for with these units is that the rubber seal around the edge is not nearly as well constructed as the OEM unit (at least, not on mine). I discovered this after I had washed the car (using a garden hose and spray nozzle; certainly not high pressure) and when I was done I notice that the fixture had soapy water trapped within it. I had to take it off, disassemble it, rinse it, and dry it out with my air compressor. Upon closer inspection, the seal on my light showed an irregular edge and in some spots did not even extend to the edge of the fixture.

I suppose I could have sent it back, but I wasn't certain that a replacement unit would have been an improvement. I just ended up fabricating my own supplemental gasket out of thin rubber material, and that seems to have done the trick.

Hmm, I have to check mine as I still have water getting into the battery box on my S. Grrrr.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Checkmate_2006
4th Gear
I have the clear LED 3rd Brake Light on my Checkmate. I have a silver roof and it matches perfectly. Blends very nicely IMO. I have an 06 so I had to splice the wires and solder them onto a connector. Some solder and shrinkwrap and it looks professional.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
mini53
3rd Gear
Could you describe more what you did? Mine is doing the same and I am getting a little misting in it. Where did you get the rubber (no snide remarks from the peanut gallery please!)

Originally Posted by Gil-galad

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mini53
Could you describe more what you did? Mine is doing the same and I am getting a little misting in it. Where did you get the rubber (no snide remarks from the peanut gallery please!)
It was just some very thin sheet material I found at the local hardware store. Probably not more than 1 mm thickness. I pulled off the light and made sure that the edge of the fixture was exposed all the way around. I traced around the perimeter of the mounted edge of the light with an upright pencil so the line would be about 1/8" outside the edge of the light fixture. Then I cut along the line with box cutter, and then cut the inside of that oval piece out leaving a ring of material about 3/8" wide. When I remounted the light, I used this ring against the body like a gasket.

Seems to be effective. Of course, I've also been more careful about not directing a pressure washer stream right at the lens. I'm sure that helps too.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Yea, thanks for all the help everybody. Here is how mine looks now! I took a step by step picture guide if anybody actually needs help with installing it but I won't post it if it's not needed. So if you do need it, let me know and I'll put it together!

Attached Thumbnails LED 3rd Brake Light?-img_1473.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 02:14 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
Yea, thanks for all the help everybody. Here is how mine looks now! I took a step by step picture guide if anybody actually needs help with installing it but I won't post it if it's not needed. So if you do need it, let me know and I'll put it together!
I'd love to see your installation guide!

My LED 3rd Brake Light has been waiting for install since the Fall Colors Run in October, 2010!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior LED 3rd Brake Light?