Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Euro Style Front lip & Diffuser install. Need your help PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Euro Style Front lip & Diffuser install. Need your help PLEASE!!!

Hello to all!

I really need some help with those who might have experience or knowledge on these parts (lip and diffuser).
I purchase the lip and rear diffuser for my 04 MCS and the lip and diffuser doesn't come with instructions or hardware to mount them on. The lip is pretty straight forward mounting some new nuts and bolts to under the bumper (please correct me if I'm wrong, let me know if there is more hardware to install for the front) but the rear diffuser looks like it needs special mounting hardware. Would anyone know were I can find the proper hardware to mount the rear diffuser?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
This is the lip and diffuser.This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1280x960.

Thank in advance
-Iris

Old 05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
Here are the instructions to properly install the rear diffuser. Make sure that your exhaust it not too close, although anything more then 3/4" will keep it from burning. My best advice is to wrap the parts on the underside with clear 3M tape so you dont get too many rock chips

Last edited by AirborneMini003; 06-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Thank you so much for this info~! It really is going to help me out! Is that silver metal thing in the rear of the car or is this part made ?
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Hey, the silver metal thing in the picture is your bumper support which is already there. If you look at the images below it, the brackets are pretty clearly pictured and are the black L shaped pieces that bolt on to that silver piece you were asking about. There is one L shaped one that bolts to the car and another upside down L that bolts on to the diffuser and they bolt together where the L meets.

Figure like this
:
.....bolts to car -> L
............................]they bolt together here
bolts to diffuser-> 7

It is a great set up because you can take it off for winter if you need to [like I do]. Like I said, wrap it with clear vinyl if you are going to paint it or I promise it will be peppered with rock chips. The only other advice is be careful when you mount it not to get it too close to the wheels if you are running something larger then a 17" x 205. I am assuming your part is not pre-drilled and if you are making brackets you will probably have one fitment before you are bending it into place.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Where did you pick the parts up from by the way?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Iris,
here are the installation instructions for the front spoiler as well. The reason I asked where you got you parts from is I would love to hear how the quality looks and if it comes pre drilled? There are a lot of knock off's for this part and I am curious if they are nice.

Last edited by AirborneMini003; 06-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lip is a Hamann knock off. The quality is good. Mine has taken a baeating on several road trips from Florida to Virginia with only paint chips coming off. I even hit a possum at 80 mph. It's so easy to install the front lip. The rear diffuser is easy, but more tedious. I bought 8 inch long steel L shaped brackets from Lowes with holes already drilled in them. I ended up cutting some of the liner out and moving some of the heat shielding out of the way and mounted the brackets on the car first. I then places the diffuser on and marked my holes to be drilled with paint. Took it back off and drilled the holes and then used some short bolts and washers to mount it. If you need any pointers, holler.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Thank you so much for the responses! I really appreciate it!

Fatherdeth: it would be greatly appreciated if you can send me some more info!
Airborne: Thanks alot you have been so helpful
I got my kit from Ebay (I know I know! Its from Ebay... But its what I can afford at the moment) I gotta split cost when it comes to tuning two little beast! My STi and My Mini! LOL..

I have an STi which I use for Auto-x and I really hooked this little puppy up before the Mini! I have lot of Genuine STi Parts and high name brand things on this car (this is way before I had the Mini).
In a nut shell, I give the ebay Front and rear lip a 7 out of 10. There is still some preparation involved to get painted and plus the mounting which I'm getting your guys help as we speak LOL... (thank you so very much)

I only paid $240 front and rear lips shipped from Cali which to me is a pretty good deal. Usally the lip sells for $200-250+ on its own let alone the CF version.
I know once its all on it gonna look sexy! My Lil Mini! I'm so excited plus this weekend in Orlando I'm bring him (my lil Mini) to a very large Mini meet! I can't wait!!!

Again any info would be great!

Here's a little of what I've done in these recent days...(some pics)
Chrome tail lights

Black out front done by me all alone! and it wasn't easy!

I so...can't wait for the front & rear lip to be installed!

-Iris

Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
I'd love to see what it looks like when it comes all together. it might be interesting to see what it would look like it you bring your offset stripe onto the splitter and diffuser.
I love Hamann like the uncle I never and they are expensive but the parts are 11/10, even in fiberglass. I hate that it is knocked off but to be honest, it is very hard for them to sell parts for less after they do the R&D and first molds. It costs nothing to knock off and sell with no instructions, brackets or customer service that is for sure, so I give them all the kudos in the world and they can have my $ too [as soon as I can afford to pay them]. If you are interested in getting the roof wing I think I can get a cheap price on a group buy on those.

I went the way of carbon fiber on my car and I'd rather the front bumper. I am too scared to put a splitter on because I know I would end up destroying it. At this rate, for where I live, I'm saving for adjustable coils so I can ride low in the summer. I know I can't have both but I can't see past the wheelgap.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Thanks for the idea Airborne! I gonna try to bring the strip down the the lips....
I too hate my wheel gap! I have TSW's and I feel like the car never dropped and if it did then it dropped the car about a half inch!
I wish I can afford the Hamman products, they look beautiful. Actually the kit on Ebay included the Hamman rear wing but I wanted to stay with the OEM Cooper S wing. Sometime the cheap fiberglass wings stay looking like cheap fiberglass wings even after professional painting and install!

Today Im gonna try to purchase the hardware for the rear. I'm going to take a look at Lowells & HomeDepot.
My dads best friend is a owner of Central Florida's largest BMW and Mercedes Benz paint shop so I going to have him paint my front and rear lip.

So to install the rear lip, do I need to uninstall the rear bumper to get to the metal bracket?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Lucky you, I wish I had a paint shop that was competent let alone a friend. Id paint it myself if I were at my shop in Cali. For the rear diffuser, you don't need to take the bumper off, but you will need to take the liners off inside the wheel well to access the bumper supports. All and all it took my shop an hour and a half with the instructions to do the install correctly. It is very sturdy because the brackets are original so i would look for something that you can find that is solid. Let me know if you need help and I will try and check out the hardware store to see if there is something that looks suitable. it should be about 3 inches wide if possible and have 2 holes where you can drill into each side of the diffuser. I am not sure you can do it differently and have it supported.

As for the wing, I hear ya. I can get a little deal on hamann but it would still be more then the two parts you just bought. I may bite the bullet since the Strassentech lip i would rather have is $600 in carbon. Now that is stupid. I can probably make a mold for near that.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow of my rear diffuser on the car. I forgot exactly what aisle they were on, but at Lowes there are some L shaped brackets that are different lengths. You need the 8" long ones. They already have holes in them and everything will lone up on the car. On the bumper support that Airborne mentions, there is already a hole that the bracket can be mounted to. Right above it there is another hole but it ready has a bolt in it. You can either take it out, or just let the bracket rest on it. One bolt will hold it on fine. I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, but on e you see some pictures, you'll see how easy it is. I will definitely try and hey some shots this weekend. I wish I has done a how to on it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Man! You guys are so awesome! Thank you so much! I love working on car and taking on projects!
I wasn't able to take a stroll threw the stores for the L bracket but I will try tomorrow! The lip is getting painted as we speak and and Im going to try to mount the rear diffuser first then get it painted.
I'm not sure what color I should do the rear lip in but I was thinking silver with black sides. Black would be nice but I was thinking of something that stands out but still matches. any suggestions would be great

A little off topic, but can you guys recommend some very low lowering springs? LOL...

Again, thank you so much! You guys are truly helpful!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Paint the rear diffuser the blue body color of your MINI. It will stand out more because you'll have the blue of the actual body of the car then right below that would be the black bumper trim, then below that would be the blue diffuser. It would look sportier. If your front lip is being painted now, just match the rear with whatever color you are using for the front lip. It will keep things systematic.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:49 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
I agree with Fatherdeth. If you paint it a different color it may look like you swapped it from another car! Mine is carbon as i mentioned so I left it natural. My diffuser mounted is linked below and photo to show some inspiration is attached. Needless to say I got lazy.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ods-mini-6.jpg

I was told if you get springs you will need control arms to keep the camber tire wear normal. I am sure most people run springs without them and was looking that up myself. I was looking at H-Sport or H&R

Last edited by AirborneMini003; 06-02-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear

I'm still at work, but here is a shot of mine.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn, i need to get me a set of these. i love the look of these diffusors.
anyone ever have problems scraping the rear diffusor though coming down driveways?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:55 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
My car isn't lowered but there is adjustability to the height you can mount it, especially if your exhaust is strapped on tight. I imagine if I was wasted and drive off or backed into a sidewalk it might be a problem. I am not ruling anything out but it looks nice while it is on!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Mister-Aandrew
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you get to taking those pics, think u can take a pic of the underside of your car so we can see the mounting? thanks.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
check out post #2, it is the actual installation instructions from Hamann so you can gauge yourself what it entails. It took my shop 2 hours, but they had to drill my carbon fiber

Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
I will post pics soon. I'm sorry, but been real busy.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Sorry I haven't posted anything in some time! I have been busy. One of my ferrets got a cold.....

I put on the front lip and WOW what a beautiful difference. I'm gonna post pictures soon. As for the rear lip! Man this seems alittle difficult. I went to lowells and couldn't find the Iron L-bracket you guys mention. I found some stainless steal stuff but it had no holes in them.
I'm gonna try the Depot soon.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed mine just like the good father did. Little bit of work and thinking and you will get no problem. Once you get under the car and look around you will that's it isn't that hard.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
I rotated my tires today during lunch over at the hobby shop. While I had the rear tires off I took a few snapshots. I will post them when I het home tonight.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
I rotated my tires today during lunch over at the hobby shop. While I had the rear tires off I took a few snapshots. I will post them when I het home tonight.
Did you say "hobby shop" . Me and my boys are RC guys. We have three Traxxas trucks, one Losi rock crawler and one Axial SCX10 TR. I'm now wanting the Toyota SCX TR.

LB

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Euro Style Front lip & Diffuser install. Need your help PLEASE!!!