Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Grill mounted badge holder

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM
ryoma111
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
Went ahead and placed my gobadges order... Asked if they could do a red and grey UJ badge even though they weren't doing custom orders yet. Not only did they do it, but it's available on the site already - same day. Granted, probably wasn't hard to do from a graphical standpoint, but putting forth the effort wins points in my book.

Here's hoping the product is as good as the service!
LOL. I was looking for a red/gray or red/black UJ but was going to wait for the custom order to go live. Still waiting for my badge to come still. Maybe tomorrow? It's coming cross country.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryoma111
LOL. I was looking for a red/gray or red/black UJ but was going to wait for the custom order to go live. Still waiting for my badge to come still. Maybe tomorrow? It's coming cross country.
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but they don't start shipping until the 30th (has been posted on the site since the ordering went live)... On the upside, the red/grey UJ is on the site - if you want to change your order you've got time to drop them an e-mail.

Or don't... Wouldn't hurt my feelings if I was the only one sporting that look.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Regarding gobadges. I remember when their site went live, I didn't see a BlackJack flag badge. I emailed them saying if they made one I would buy it. Sure enough, they now have one available so I placed an order.

I have front driving lights so I never wanted to deal with the disassembly of the lights/grill just for a badge. The install vid from gobadges looked so simple it sealed the deal.

Hopefully it will stay on and not vibrate loose. We'll see when the order comes. Can't wait!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 AM
ryoma111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OaklandMini
Regarding gobadges. I remember when their site went live, I didn't see a BlackJack flag badge. I emailed them saying if they made one I would buy it. Sure enough, they now have one available so I placed an order.

I have front driving lights so I never wanted to deal with the disassembly of the lights/grill just for a badge. The install vid from gobadges looked so simple it sealed the deal.

Hopefully it will stay on and not vibrate loose. We'll see when the order comes. Can't wait!
I hope they don't come loose either. I have the driving lights as well. My problem is I sometimes go to a "touchless" carwash when I don't have time to handwash. I'm scared the magnetic badge I have now will wash off so I have to get out of the car to take off/put on when washing.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I hope they don't come loose either. I have the driving lights as well. My problem is I sometimes go to a "touchless" carwash when I don't have time to handwash. I'm scared the magnetic badge I have now will wash off so I have to get out of the car to take off/put on when washing.
Bewarned that they can come off. I lost one of mine while I was on vacation and the only place to wash the car was an automatic carwash.

Take the magnetic badges off before going into a car wash of any kind.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don was SUPER responsive at GOBADGES

My order is in....Don wrote back right away to confirm that the badge mount, in fact, does work the 2010 MCS. As a new owner (still floating across the Atlantic), I wasn't sure if the mounting was different for different models.
Will be interesting to see when it ships and I am happy to hear of other folks getting some customized options processed!
Looking forward to reports of folks who get their orders and perhaps post pictures!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Yeah, I could totally imagine them coming off in a "touchless" carwash. I was more worried about real world driving conditions since I'm too **** to ever let my car go into a car wash place. I hand wash it myself.

We'll see, my order is on its way...

Old 05-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by remphoto
Mounting the grille holder requires the grille to be removed -- difficult to do without breaking some of the mounting tabs.
Disagree, I've had my grille in and out literally dozens of times. Be it the installation of my badge holder, the removal of the holder, installation of driving lights, etc. etc. Just use a screwdriver to squeeze the tabs and pull.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
I'm looking to pick up one of the new ones from gobadges.com... They just went online, but their product looks much more interesting than the plain flat magnetic sheets - little more "bling". Just debating at this point which to get, or whether to wait for them to start taking custom orders and design my own.
what worries me about the gobadges.com one is that if you watch the video on their site, the holder moves back an forth while the badge is being screwed in. I think it's a great looking holder, but would prefer one mounted to the grill by hardware instead of velcro.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:53 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Disagree, I've had my grille in and out literally dozens of times. Be it the installation of my badge holder, the removal of the holder, installation of driving lights, etc. etc. Just use a screwdriver to squeeze the tabs and pull.

+1 - The four pop tabs at the top of the grill are simple and easy to remove. They allow the grill to be pulled out enough to mount the badge holder. It is very simple. The build-a-badge (MINIBee) is metal, well made and solid as a rock when mounted.

Jim

Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I like MiniBee's Build a Badge looks very nice. I saw the GoBadges the other day and ya they look easy to install but they also look like a fischer price toy.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:25 PM
silvia
2nd Gear
I bought the license plate mount for the badges from cooperflags. would the 3d badges from gobadges fit the badge mount i bought from cooperflags?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:30 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by silvia
I bought the license plate mount for the badges from cooperflags. would the 3d badges from gobadges fit the badge mount i bought from cooperflags?
I'm not sure if those are magnetic-backed or not... Even if they are, I'd want something more since I'm sure they're heavier than a regular badge. You could probably drill a couple of holes in the cooperflags mount and mount a gobadges holder to it... I've actually been thinking about that myself - just trying to decide how badly I really want rear badge(s).

Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
I like MiniBee's Build a Badge looks very nice. I saw the GoBadges the other day and ya they look easy to install but they also look like a fischer price toy.
+1

Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Plus gobadges did not pioneer the domed badge that has been out and selling for about 6 months or more.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 AM
letsmotor99
Neutral
I found something about a founder posted at other blog site.
Seems like he is a professional designer and nice guy.
I'd like to know more about their products when it come out to street.
here is a link I found http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...picID=35960701

Last edited by letsmotor99; 05-24-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
letsmotor99
Neutral
Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
ryoma111
2nd Gear
I just got the badge I ordered today. Click on the pictures below to see the bigger version. I will have pictures of it installed when I get a chance tonight/tomorrow.

It comes packaged very nicely in a tin container, wrapped in bubble wrap.
Grill mounted badge holder-1img_0493.jpg

There's a velco strap to attach to the grill, magnetic backing to the badge itself and then you have the outer rim that screws on. Not shown are two large rubber pads on the back, where it makes contact to the grill
Grill mounted badge holder-1img_0497.jpg

You can see here how raised up the yellow part of the badge is.
Grill mounted badge holder-1img_0498.jpg

Last edited by ryoma111; 06-03-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: ;)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 PM
ryoma111
2nd Gear
Here are the pictures of the badge installed.

My old magnetic red/black UJ
Grill mounted badge holder-1img_0500.jpg

The new badge
Grill mounted badge holder-1img_0501.jpg

Looking down
Grill mounted badge holder-1img_0503.jpg

Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 AM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
I just got mine too in the mail yesterday.
Really impressed with the packaging and design!
(I went with the chrome trim option)

Hopefully I can install it today and snap some pics.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Installed my gobadge a few mins ago.
I have a full blackjack mini, so this design worked well.

I know many people here seem to hate chrome, but I'm a big fan.
I ordered the chrome trim option:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The badge is high gloss so the first pic needed the flash off.

After installing it, I must say it's a bit harder than it sounded. The Mini's front grille is such a small honeycomb that it's really hard to feed the strap through. I actually needed to tie a small piece of string on the end of the strap and use a screwdriver with some tape on the end to feed it through.

Also, I'm a bit stupid so take this with a grain of salt, but installing it based on the photo left me a really insecure wobbly mess. I actually fed it through a different way and then used needle nose pliers to really pull the velcro strap though the same slit twice so it would (hopefully) stay put.

We'll see how it goes, but I like it since I never wanted to mess with a traditional install since I have driving lights.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
I have a full blackjack mini, so this design worked well.

I know many people here seem to hate chrome, but I'm a big fan.
I ordered the chrome trim option:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The badge is high gloss so the first pic needed the flash off.

After installing it, I must say it's a bit harder than it sounded. The Mini's front grille is such a small honeycomb that it's really hard to feed the strap through. I actually needed to tie a small piece of string on the end of the strap and use a screwdriver with some tape on the end to feed it through.

Also, I'm a bit stupid so take this with a grain of salt, but installing it based on the photo left me a really insecure wobbly mess. I actually fed it through a different way and then used needle nose pliers to really pull the velcro strap though the same slit twice so it would (hopefully) stay put.

We'll see how it goes, but I like it since I never wanted to mess with a traditional install since I have driving lights.
I really find it odd that none of you believe that you do NOT have to take the driving lights off to install a grill badge. Whatever.

Jim

Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
If you're concerned about the velcro, a couple of large wire ties will fit through the slot side by side. Snug those down real good and they're REALLY not likely to go anywhere.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:11 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exceptional Packaging and Presentation

Guys,

Just got our GOBADGE in the mail the other day. Also received an email prior to shipment just to let us know it was on the way.
Can't say enough about the presentation. Nice container, bubble wrap inside to protect the mount and badge and the entire item is shipped in a hard box as opposed to a flimsy paper envelope.
Glad to see some of the early pictures on here.
Now, the only thing we are still missing is the car. :>
In Baltimore at the VDC and this part feels like the lonnnnnngest of the entire process!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
I really find it odd that none of you believe that you do NOT have to take the driving lights off to install a grill badge. Whatever.
Too many double negatives...what?

I'm not taking off the grille or messing with the driving lights. That's why I went with this option.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Grill mounted badge holder