Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Grill mounted badge holder

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 PM
silvia
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grill mounted badge holder

I have a 2009 cooper S. I would like to know where is the best place to buy the grill mounted badge holder. First off, I am not a handy person so if i need to remove grill, i probably don't know how to do it.

I need to buy one that is VERY easy to put on the grill. Also, would it scratch or harm the grill after certain period of time?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2010, 01:06 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking to pick up one of the new ones from gobadges.com... They just went online, but their product looks much more interesting than the plain flat magnetic sheets - little more "bling". Just debating at this point which to get, or whether to wait for them to start taking custom orders and design my own.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM
silvia
2nd Gear
Decided to go to cooperflags to buy license plate badge holder for boot instead...all i need is philips screwdriver to assemble...Hardest part was to decide whether to buy single or double badge holder. Chose double instead so one side would have magnet of mini car and other side of a flag.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 AM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Mounting the grille holder requires the grille to be removed -- difficult to do without breaking some of the mounting tabs. I came up with the idea of replacing the backing plate with a piece of stiff electrical wire wrapped around the two screws that normally hold on the backing plate. I was able to get my fingers behind the grille to wrap one end around the screw (the other end was attached before inserting the badge holder.) Have had it on for three years and the badge holder is still in place.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've removed and reinstalled by grille several times without breaking a single mounting tab. It is very easy to do and once you know how, can probably be done in about 5 minutes or less. DIY here for 2nd Gen MCS grille - I understand the directions are similar for other models.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Its easy to do if you don't you have driving lights like I do. Then it becomes a bit of a project.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
I'm looking to pick up one of the new ones from gobadges.com... They just went online, but their product looks much more interesting than the plain flat magnetic sheets - little more "bling". Just debating at this point which to get, or whether to wait for them to start taking custom orders and design my own.
Grue,

From what you can see on the GOBADGES site, does it appear that you could basically buy their mounting kit and then put any 3" diameter magnetic backed badge on there?
From taking a look at their selection, they don't have as many humorous ones as some other sites but the mounting bracket seems wayyyyy easier.....especially if you don't want to take your grill off or mess around with driving lights.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM
scottmd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
Its easy to do if you don't you have driving lights like I do. Then it becomes a bit of a project.

Sorry I don't mean to threadjack...but it occurs to me was that a problem when you had your Helix FMIC mounted...I remember you showed a picture somewhere in another thread (which I can't find now)...and I can't remember if the top grill had to come off or not?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:33 PM
scottmd
3rd Gear
I haven't gotten the chance to get one of their badges and holders in my hands yet...but I've been following their progress with interest.

I have to say that I think that from what I can see in the pictures they have some of the most beautifully crafted badges I've seen yet.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MandB
Grue,

From what you can see on the GOBADGES site, does it appear that you could basically buy their mounting kit and then put any 3" diameter magnetic backed badge on there?
From taking a look at their selection, they don't have as many humorous ones as some other sites but the mounting bracket seems wayyyyy easier.....especially if you don't want to take your grill off or mess around with driving lights.
It really looks to me like you can... Based on their description, their badges are "printed on high quality 3" magnetic backed vinyl" - sounds like a typical magnetic badge to me. I e-mailed them awhile back when the site first when up and got a pretty quick response from Don - you might drop them an e-mail (contact@gobadges.com) to confirm.

Edit: sending them an e-mail with a couple of other questions as well... Will include this one and post back when I have a firm answer.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:07 PM
ryoma111
2nd Gear
It really looks to me like you can... Based on their description, their badges are "printed on high quality 3" magnetic backed vinyl" - sounds like a typical magnetic badge to me. I e-mailed them awhile back when the site first when up and got a pretty quick response from Don - you might drop them an e-mail (contact@gobadges.com) to confirm.

Edit: sending them an e-mail with a couple of other questions as well... Will include this one and post back when I have a firm answer.
I justj ordered one of their badges and the holder. We'll see how it looks when I get it in the next couple days (USPS priority).

Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scottmd
Sorry I don't mean to threadjack...but it occurs to me was that a problem when you had your Helix FMIC mounted...I remember you showed a picture somewhere in another thread (which I can't find now)...and I can't remember if the top grill had to come off or not?
Yes. The driving lights have to come off. Then the upper grill comes off to allow access to take off the bumper cover.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Here is a picture with the Defenders Of Speed "bandit" grill badge.

And here everyone has the same grill badge.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
MINIBee makes a badge holder that actually look like a "gear" as the old ones did. Very high quality. You only have to release the three pop-out tabs on top of the grill, pull it forward and reach in to mount the holder.

Jim

Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
kymummer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
MINIBee makes a badge holder that actually look like a "gear" as the old ones did. Very high quality. You only have to release the three pop-out tabs on top of the grill, pull it forward and reach in to mount the holder.

Jim
+1 on Minibee's build-a-badge. Looks great, easily installed. Don't let anyone scare you about the front grill on the r55/r56, it's REALLY simple to remove.

http://www.minibee62.com/Build-a-Badge-p/bab.htm

Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
+2 on the MINIBee Build-A-Badge holders. Picked up two at MOTD2010 and actually drilled holes the grill to get them as far to each side possible. Thinking of adding a couple more.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
+2 on the MINIBee Build-A-Badge holders. Picked up two at MOTD2010 and actually drilled holes the grill to get them as far to each side possible. Thinking of adding a couple more.
Darn, sorry I did not get the chance to meet you. Once there, it was hard to find folks I've met on line. MINIBee does make some nice stuff.

Jim

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Once again... very easy to do as long as you do NOT have driving lights. If you do have driving lights then you will have to remove them (or at least 1) in order to get the room needed to get behind the grill.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
Once again... very easy to do as long as you do NOT have driving lights. If you do have driving lights then you will have to remove them (or at least 1) in order to get the room needed to get behind the grill.
I have the VIP quad light bar across my grill and only had to pop the top and reach in.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Grill mounted badge holder-mc-resort2.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010, 03:05 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
The Minibee badge holders do look pretty cool. Reply from Don at gobadges indicates their holder is compatible with other badges as well. Tough call.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
The Minibee badge holders do look pretty cool. Reply from Don at gobadges indicates their holder is compatible with other badges as well. Tough call.
They both do the same job, so it simply depends if you want the retro look of the MINIBee or not. I just liked the classic old badge look myself.

Jim

Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Thanks so much for posting your reply from Don.
I think, given that we will have the driving lights on our new baby, the one from GOBADGES sounds like the best option.
Looking forward to hearing more about anyone who goes ahead with the purchase.
RYOMA111 sounds like he should have one any day now!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:29 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Yes! Please do let me know how it works out.
I am in favor of the easier installation given the driving lights.
Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Went ahead and placed my gobadges order... Asked if they could do a red and grey UJ badge even though they weren't doing custom orders yet. Not only did they do it, but it's available on the site already - same day. Granted, probably wasn't hard to do from a graphical standpoint, but putting forth the effort wins points in my book.

Here's hoping the product is as good as the service!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 AM
jcw419
Neutral
Love them...

Looking forward to getting my gobadge! The video they have up really shows how easy it is going to be to install. It was hard to find a badge I wanted because there were so many great choices. I think the designs they offer by far beat anyone else from an aesthetic stand point.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Grill mounted badge holder