Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Grill Swapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Grill Swapping

I've looked around and haven't seen a good answer yet...

I have an '04 MCS with an Indie Blue 3 slat grill. I want to swap it out for a 3 slat chrome grill. Im not a chrome freak, but I like the "classic" retro look that captures the original Mini. I never really understood the whole half chrome / half body colored grills anyways. I'd rather go chrome or black aero grill.

But I digress. The question is: Will a chrome 3 slat grill from a Justa Cooper fit on a MCS? How about if I just remove the 3 plastic slats? Can I just swap out the 3 body colored slats for the 3 chrome slats? Additionally, will a 4 slat chrome grill from an 02-04 Justa Cooper fit?

Which grills require modification and which fit out of the box?

Grill I want to swap out

Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, you just have to be careful when doing the swap. the slats are a seperate piece from the black carrier. you have to first remove the chrome surround, un-clip the body-colored slats, and then all you have to do is clip the chrome slats back on. Be very careful taking the chrome surround off, if you break the clips, you'll have to replace the surround...

Also, I don't remember if the grilles on the justa and the S are interchangable, however, something in me says that they are. You could check and see if the part numbers are the same on realoem.com As for your question about the four-slat grille, you will not be able to use it without purchasing a replacement chrome surround, as it is contoured to fit over the slats, meaning you currently have 3 spaces carved out VS the 4 that you are considering using.

From my experience of switching out grilles, you will probably have to purchase a brand new grille carrier (black piece behind slats) because as you have probably noticed BMW uses a plastic stalk with self-threading nuts. These make it very hard to nearly impossible to re-use a carrier that has already been removed.

-Chase

Last edited by chaseabryant; 01-15-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM
burley
6th Gear
Can anyone else chime in and confirm the S and Justa are interchangeable from first hand knowledge?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
In the 1st gen, all the front grills from all years are 100% interchangeable (S, non-S, convertible, hardtop, chrome, body colored). The aero grill (top piece) is also completely compatible with all the others. The chrome grill on a Justa is exactly the same part (including part#) as the chrome grill used on an S with exterior chrome line package (you do know that chrome grill was available on the S?).

Look up the part numbers on RealOEM to convince yourself. I sold my chrome grill (from a Justa) to an S owner.

For the top grill, it is an easy swap if you purchase the complete assembly including the surround. You can buy just the slats alone and save some money, and transfer the slats with some extra work (the grill can taken apart, although it wasn't really designed to be). Here's a vendor for the slats: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ome_grill.html

Old 01-16-2010, 11:03 AM
burley
6th Gear
Motoring File:
"It's been a long time in coming but now MCS owners can officially join the chrome grille club. In the past those that wanted the the chrome look had to alter (cut) the MC four-bar chrome grille to get it to fit into the MCS hood. However with this new grille it should be a fairly straightforward installation. Here's the actual text from the service bulletin (supplied by an internal source):"

http://www.motoringfile.com/2003/06/...eGrilleIsHere/

I think they were just talking about the 4 slat grill, but wanted to double check no mods had to be done for the 3 slat. I know it was an option on the S to have a chrome grill, but there's an abundance of used 3/4 slats grills from Justa owners who sell them on the cheap.

That said, anyone know what exactly has to be done to a 4 slat grill to fit an S? Moreover, if anyone wants to trade a chrome / black 3 slat grill from a S for an all chrome, let me know. Its the one pictured above. It'd be a nice way to semi black out your grill while keeping it OEM looking.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
burley
6th Gear
double post

Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should just be able to unscrew your grill from the back and put the new one in its place. If you look on the back there are a bunch of nuts that twist onto the plastic tabs of the grill. Use a screw driver to put pressure outwards and a socket or wrench to loosen the bolts. Only about a 5 minute job. You might have to take the bumper off to do the lower grill though because they are glued on. Let ne know if you have any more questions.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:10 AM
burley
6th Gear
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The 3 slat grills are completely interchangeable with each other. I don't know about about the 4 slat -- changing just the slats may require modification but if you have a complete 4 slat grill including the surround I would think that the complete assembly would be a direct swap as well.

The lower single slat is attached with double stick tape. I suggest heating with a hair dryer, prying up one end, and cutting through the tape with dental floss.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The lower single slat is attached with double stick tape. I suggest heating with a hair dryer, prying up one end, and cutting through the tape with dental floss.
Great advice! I was about to ask how to do that.