Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Trouble installing MossMotors' LED Turn Signals on '06 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:53 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Trouble installing MossMotors' LED Turn Signals on '06 MCS

So, last week I purchased MossMotors' recently released LED turn signal mirrors for my 2006 Mini Cooper S. Today is a lovely sunny yet cool day, not much to do, perfect day for installation. But... there's always a but!

I'm stalled out at the point of feeding the wiring for the turn signals into the door. I'm using a wire coat hanger to fish alongside the factory mirror wiring harness (motor + heaters), and I can push through what feels like a plastic grommet where the mirror stalk joins its base, but I seem to have hit solid metal where the base joins the door.

According to the otherwise very good instructions (PDF link), one just pushes through with a wire coat hanger (or screwdriver -- riiiight). But it doesn't seem possible to get past this junction!

Any tips? From the instructions, it looks like their test mule was an earlier model year (no full-length arm rest -- omits how to remove it for access to the 4th door panel screw).

So, either something changed in later-model Minis, or I'm missing something very basic.

My door is half-disassembled in my driveway and tonight I either finish up the job, or put the door back together and the stock mirror back on and wait for another weekend day.

Any tips? Anyone fished wires through there before? I'm baffled! Thanks!

Last edited by bratling; 09-07-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added links for product information
Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Followup: I eventually discovered that you can twist the mirror on its base, exposing its mounting bolts. unscrewed those, and with each separate through-channel exposed, I was able to route the wiring down into the door.

I'll post some photos in the next day or two, in case anyone else runs into this!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THis is an awesome mod and I'm glad someone finally manufactured it for the Mini. I had these on a previous car and asked the company (Muth) if they would do it for the Mini. They said no, because there wasn't enough interest. Not only that, I remember getting flack from people on here for thinking this mod would be beneficial. Thanks for pointing it out...I will be ordering a set. Hope the install went well.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Duck360198
THis is an awesome mod and I'm glad someone finally manufactured it for the Mini. I had these on a previous car and asked the company (Muth) if they would do it for the Mini. They said no, because there wasn't enough interest. Not only that, I remember getting flack from people on here for thinking this mod would be beneficial. Thanks for pointing it out...I will be ordering a set. Hope the install went well.
Once you get the wires fed through the mirror into the door, it's smooth sailing from there on out! I'm now fully turn-signal-bling enabled.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
AK.JCW
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bratling.. how about some pictures of your update??? I've gone through the heart ache of installing the power fold mirrors and this would have been nice to do at the same time. But now I've got the process down so these will be a piece of cake.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:14 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by AK.JCW
Bratling.. how about some pictures of your update??? I've gone through the heart ache of installing the power fold mirrors and this would have been nice to do at the same time. But now I've got the process down so these will be a piece of cake.
I have just posted a bunch of photos of the install process to my Flickr stream for you all! Here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rmohns/...247480/detail/

Ultimately I found it a LOT easier to just remove the factory mirrors:

Feel free to ping questions at me.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:21 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
A bit of video

Took a little video with my iPhone. It's in daylight on a sunny day, but even so you can clearly see the LEDs. At night they are nice and bright. I'm pleased!