Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Does anybody have the $250 auxillary guages?

Old 10-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Andrewsky
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ones that go in front of the cupholders. Do you like them? Do they work well, and if you were buying a Mini again would you buy them again?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
i ordered them but my MINI doesn't arrive until next month. I'll let you know.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Andrewsky
3rd Gear
Cool.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:36 PM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
mine will have them as well!

Old 10-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear
I plan on getting them too.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:03 AM
samawil
5th Gear
I bought them and am waiting to have them installed.
I also got a Boost Gauge from BMP. So instead of the Battery meter, I;m putting the Boost...if this is something that you are interested in, you need to make sure that you buy this kit for the boost gauge. THe kit contains the tubes etc...

L

Old 10-29-2003, 07:10 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the panel from MINI, and gauges from Summitracing. Ended up costing about $100 less and gave me better, more accurate, and more useable gauges.

1/4 Mile Database

Old 10-29-2003, 02:47 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
I've got the OEM set, installed by my dealer. I am very happy with it, and would buy it again. It looks especially good at night, and matches the look and feel of the other gauges quite well. It is expensive and you can get similar set-ups cheaper by buying the OEM mounting plate from a dealer and then gauges elsewhere, but I didn't want to bother. One thing to be aware of: the gauges have black bezels (rings). I thought they would be chrome (wish they were!) based on the picture in the MINI accessory catalog, but I think that must have been just glare from the flash when they took the photo.

Old 10-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Right in between those guages looks like a perfect place for me to put the AUX Input. :smile:

Old 02-03-2005, 07:22 AM
laxpimp6903
3rd Gear
i have the guages and think they look cool but if you have anything in the cup holder they are hard to see. The battery guages is very helpfull if you like to go shoot some hoops and listen to your music because you can make sure that you have enough power in your battery to start it back up so you dont have to leave it running the whole time

Old 02-03-2005, 07:49 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperMark
I've got the OEM set, installed by my dealer. I am very happy with it, and would buy it again. It looks especially good at night, and matches the look and feel of the other gauges quite well. It is expensive and you can get similar set-ups cheaper by buying the OEM mounting plate from a dealer and then gauges elsewhere, but I didn't want to bother. One thing to be aware of: the gauges have black bezels (rings). I thought they would be chrome (wish they were!) based on the picture in the MINI accessory catalog, but I think that must have been just glare from the flash when they took the photo.
Acutually the 05 gauges do have chrome rings, all of the earlier ones are just black. I know that I've seen the new part number somewhere when I heard about the change, but I guess it doesnt matter since your gauges are installed already.

My friend has the aux gauges on his '03 and I think they are great (I always like to have oil temp and I didn't want the chrono pack) - I'll get them off his car before he sells it and put them in my '05.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:26 AM
virafp
3rd Gear
Gauges

The spot near the cup holders is perfect. I will order the panel from MINI and the gauges elsewhere.

I would like to see oli pressure and supercharger boost. Does anyone have this combo and what gauges are they? Installation?

Thanks.

Viraf

Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the same set up as Andy but haven't gotten around to finishing the install. Mostly because I haven't much luck locating the adapters for the sending units

Old 02-03-2005, 09:04 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Acutually the 05 gauges do have chrome rings, all of the earlier ones are just black. I know that I've seen the new part number somewhere when I heard about the change, but I guess it doesnt matter since your gauges are installed already.
Actually, I don't think this is true. I contacted Classic in Ohio about this very thing (i.e. the new "05" aux gauges having chrome bezels) and he said that it was a mistake in the accessories catalog. He forwarded me an e-mail correspondence that he had with MINI USA on the subject and they claimed that while the part number has changed, the gauges are the same and they don't have the chrome bezels as shown in the accessories catalog. I can try and dig out the e-mail if you're interested.

BTW, I too wanted the chrome bezels as they would better match my MINI's chrome line interior. Bummer...

Old 02-03-2005, 10:24 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My experience with MINI's auxiliary gauges:

A couple of weeks ago I had an MC 40 as a loaner car for about 4 days. It had the auxiliary gauges fitted (my car does not).

First, I noticed the view of the tops of the gauges was blocked by the toggle panel. I might have been able to overcome this with some more time spent adjusting the driver's seat. Since it was just a loaner, I didn't bother.

Second, the oil temperature needle rarely ever moved. It led me to think that either the sender wasn't working correctly or the scale on the gauge is too wide for the operating parameters of the MINI engine.

The voltmeter was, well, a voltmeter. It worked; not a lot else to say.

The gauges looked nice, especially at night, but I'm not convinced I would go that particular route. More thought is needed.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
virafp
3rd Gear
usefulness?

I agree - I would rather have oil pressure and supercharger boost.

Viraf

Old 02-07-2005, 10:51 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
I have a Sept. build, '05 MCS with the aux. gauge package. The gauges are installed below the switches, behind the cup holders, as you know.

Here are a few observations:

1) Very bad location: you have to take your eyes completely off the road (looking way down there below the switches) to see them. Can't do that when driving at speed, unless you want to crash!;
2) They are recessed about 3 inches back into the console, well back out of the line of vision (see #1);
3) the gauge glass is not polarized and usually has a glare on it, except at night when the gauge lights are on. Can't see them well in bright sunlight becuase of the glare on the glass (see #1 again);

As you can tell, most of my problems are with the gauges' location. They are pricey, too. But, having said all this, I still like them. They retain that "classic" retro look and fill the space nicely. I'd order them again for that reason.

I like the oil temp gauge, it really gives a good indicator of true engine temp. Water temp doesn't do that. I don't like to run my engine hard until it heats up, oil temp gives me a way to know when to let 'er rip! The voltmeter seems to be less useful on a modern car. I agree that the vacuum/boost gauge would be far more useful instead.

The alta gauge setup is very nice, IMHO: http://www.eurostyleseast.com/store/...R%2D200&eq=&Tp=

I hope this is helpful . . .

Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Actually, I don't think this is true. I contacted Classic in Ohio about this very thing (i.e. the new "05" aux gauges having chrome bezels) and he said that it was a mistake in the accessories catalog. He forwarded me an e-mail correspondence that he had with MINI USA on the subject and they claimed that while the part number has changed, the gauges are the same and they don't have the chrome bezels as shown in the accessories catalog. I can try and dig out the e-mail if you're interested.

BTW, I too wanted the chrome bezels as they would better match my MINI's chrome line interior. Bummer...
Sorry, didnt see this response until now. Someone posted the new part number on a forum, Roadfly I think, but I can't find it. They stated that it was for new aux guages with chrome bezels (they posted both the old number and the new one for comparison).

EDIT: Found the old vs new part numbers on Motoringfile, perhaps someone knows the differences, if any between the old and new:

Old: 82-94-0-148-956 , New: 82-94-0-303-934

Old 02-24-2005, 03:53 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vagt6
I have a Sept. build, '05 MCS with the aux. gauge package. The gauges are installed below the switches, behind the cup holders, as you know.

Here are a few observations:

1) Very bad location: you have to take your eyes completely off the road (looking way down there below the switches) to see them. Can't do that when driving at speed, unless you want to crash!;
2) They are recessed about 3 inches back into the console, well back out of the line of vision (see #1);
3) the gauge glass is not polarized and usually has a glare on it, except at night when the gauge lights are on. Can't see them well in bright sunlight becuase of the glare on the glass (see #1 again);

As you can tell, most of my problems are with the gauges' location. They are pricey, too. But, having said all this, I still like them. They retain that "classic" retro look and fill the space nicely. I'd order them again for that reason.

I like the oil temp gauge, it really gives a good indicator of true engine temp. Water temp doesn't do that. I don't like to run my engine hard until it heats up, oil temp gives me a way to know when to let 'er rip! The voltmeter seems to be less useful on a modern car. I agree that the vacuum/boost gauge would be far more useful instead.

The alta gauge setup is very nice, IMHO: http://www.eurostyleseast.com/store/...R%2D200&eq=&Tp=

I hope this is helpful . . .
I have both the BMP and the OEM. I like gauges. When you fly small piston planes you don't take off until the oil is up to temp.....but many of you know that

Old 04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
autopia
2nd Gear
I have the Aux Gauges & like them. However, I do concur with the others that their location is about the worst place. I pretty much just make sure she's up to temp before blasting the throttle. The gauge location is tolerable for that. As for the volt meter... I think I would have better use for an oil pressure gauge.

Would I get them again? Sure.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Am I old fashioned for wanting a water temp gauge? I've got Nav and I loath idiot lights, especially for something as vital as coolant temp.

Speaking of, does anyone have a P/N for OEM style VDO gauges? I'm going to swap out the voltmeter for aforementioned water temp or oil pressure.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:14 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I thought I would add that the Mini is slow to get its oil temp up. The oil is way behind the "water". Let the enging run for at least 10 minutes before you get aggresive.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:34 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
82 94 0 393 994

What about the top of the steering column, next to the tach auxiliary gauges ? part # 82 94 0 393 994 , they should be easy to read, they are a boost and volt meter set with a cooper s logo. They look sweet and I just scored a set from the morristown dealership for $222.50 on an e-bay auction.
Can't wait to install them.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
WEEGIT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minibrute
What about the top of the steering column, next to the tach auxiliary gauges ? part # 82 94 0 393 994 , they should be easy to read, they are a boost and volt meter set with a cooper s logo. They look sweet and I just scored a set from the morristown dealership for $222.50 on an e-bay auction.
Can't wait to install them.
I had this gauge package installed by the dealer about a month ago. Within the first week, the boost gauge stopped working. And the voltage is not important enough to have in front of you. After the dealer replaces the faulty boost gauge, I pulling them out (for sale cheap) and putting in Auto Meter's Ultra-Lite series gauges for boost (#4376) and oil temperature (#4347). Boost gauge is a bit pricy by gives you tell-tale feature and warning. In the future I'm considering getting an ALTA-like bracket to mount to back of tach housing to hold oil pressure and water temperature. Console gauge package is too hard to see, and takes valuable storage space, besides possibly blocking use of power outlet for bulky plug for radar detector.

Last edited by WEEGIT; 02-24-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Question? Can you mount the BV/OT Chrome Aux Guages to the Steering Mount Aux Guage Mount?
I have a MC with chrome interior and think it would look great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Does anybody have the $250 auxillary guages?