Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hitch options 08 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 AM
idioteque
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch options 08 MCS

<DISCLAIMER>
I have looked through a number of threads for an answer.
</DISCLAIMER>

Am I "stuck" with using the hitch from MiniDoMore.com? Or, are there other, more reasonably priced options out there.

I am unable to comprehend how the hitch for the older models is $185 versus $325 for the new one? Especially when it requires 4~5 hours of installation. (not the fault of the rack of course). But, $800 for an installed rack is rather daunting.

Love the site - very informative and helpful!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is also the Mini-Fini hitch option. But it's expensive as well.

http://www.minifini.com/Shop.aspx

Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
I'm in the same indecisive boat. Contemplating on the MiniFini hitch option. All seem to be a bit pricey.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 PM
idioteque
1st Gear
Thanks for the pointer. I am pleased that there are other manufacturers producing items for our cars. Do I understand the concept correctly that you would have to purchase the Mini Fini for the car, then a Mini Fini receiver hitch as well?

I simply want a way to utilize my investment in a Thule rack for my previous car. I had no idea it would prove this challenging ;-)

Thanks again for your response. I believe I will have to "bite the bullet" and get the minidomore option.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by idioteque
Thanks for the pointer. I am pleased that there are other manufacturers producing items for our cars. Do I understand the concept correctly that you would have to purchase the Mini Fini for the car, then a Mini Fini receiver hitch as well?

I simply want a way to utilize my investment in a Thule rack for my previous car. I had no idea it would prove this challenging ;-)

Thanks again for your response. I believe I will have to "bite the bullet" and get the minidomore option.
With the Mini Fini system, you buy their hitch system, then an attachment; ball hitch, bike rack, etc.

The Minidomore hitch would give you a hitch with only one thing to buy.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Mini Flyer
1st Gear
I have the MiniFini system and love it. We take the bikes everywhere now and when it's off, the little bumper holes still look cool. Easy to DIY.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by Mini Flyer
I have the MiniFini system and love it. We take the bikes everywhere now and when it's off, the little bumper holes still look cool. Easy to DIY.
Can you post pics of the rear ? I see that you have a JCW and looking to do the same to my JCW and was wondering where the two pegs come through.

Thanks a million !

Old 10-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Mini Flyer
1st Gear
These are the best I have. The MiniFini is so great.

Attached Thumbnails Hitch options 08 MCS-minifini_2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Perfect, that is what I was looking for and now know where the stubs come out. Going to place an order shortly !!

Thanks a million !

Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Morbius,

I found this on minidomore. Just take a look.

http://www.minidomore.com/

Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by slinger688
Morbius,

I found this on minidomore. Just take a look.

http://www.minidomore.com/
Thanks.

I have looked at that in the past and in a 07 JCW, it requires cutting a large square hole in the bumper which is above the tail pipes. So I did a template and when I placed the template on the bumper, it looks very bad. Especially since there are no color matched plugs to hide the hole. The minifini is two round holes which matches the tail pipes and silver color rubber round covers are available all over the place ....

Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Mini Flyer
1st Gear
Actually, the holes come out in a the perfect spot. I put the MIniFini unit on and placed the bumper over to make my marks before drilling. Be sure to ask for the rubber covers as it'll make a nicer finish.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by morbius
Thanks.

I have looked at that in the past and in a 07 JCW, it requires cutting a large square hole in the bumper which is above the tail pipes. So I did a template and when I placed the template on the bumper, it looks very bad. Especially since there are no color matched plugs to hide the hole. The minifini is two round holes which matches the tail pipes and silver color rubber round covers are available all over the place ....
Good, at least you saw and evaluated it before.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Good, at least you saw and evaluated it before.
Yeah, would have been good to use it because of the many parts I have on the shelf already, but looks at this point seems to be overruling costs. Sounds stupid but love our minis

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the minidomore hitch and even went so far as making a hole in my JCW bumper.

Here's a pic of the plug. It's an old pic since then I've smoothed it out and painted it again.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:13 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Very very nice !! I will now have to re-think this. Thanks this is perfect pics of each on JCW. How easy to get to the hitch pin since it is right above the pipes ?

Thanks a million !

Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Very very nice !! I will now have to re-think this. Thanks this is perfect pics of each on JCW. How easy to get to the hitch pin since it is right above the pipes ?

Thanks a million !
I second that. OrangeCrush, great job on the MinidoMore. I also am seriously considering it. Any instructions on the install?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear

Thanks a million !
Actually, the pin is relatively easy to get to. You'll have to actually lay on the ground but I didn't have to modify the exhaust shield. (as opposed to the butchering/cutting I did on my R52 with the minidomore hitch)

I second that. OrangeCrush, great job on the MinidoMore. I also am seriously considering it. Any instructions on the install?
Thanks slinger, the install is extremely easy. Remove the rear bumper, remove either the absorber/inner brace (I've forgotten, I've installed 4 different ones) and reinstall the rear cover.

The whole install was less than 45 minutes. They fit excellent, work great.

I use it to haul other stuff....

Old 10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Flyer
These are the best I have. The MiniFini is so great.
Great looking car.... but one question. Where's the exhaust pipes?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 10-06-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Soupamoto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by idioteque
<DISCLAIMER>
the hitch for the older models is $185
I have an 'older model', 04 R50. Could you please tell me what hitch exactly you are refering to that costs $185, and where to get it? Were you refering to the MiniDoMore for that price, or something else?

thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Kenbob
1st Gear
I have an "08 MCS with the Minidomore receiver and I couldn't be happier. Installation took about 2 hours with me taking my time and rereading the instructions multiple times. All you see is a small black square when you aren't using a rack. Installation of the hitch pin doesn't even require getting on the ground. You just squat down and reach under the bumper and over the exhaust heat shield. Very easy. I can take the rack off in about 2 minutes. You never know there's a hitch on the car unlike the minifini unit, and you can use any 1-1/4" hitch mounted bike carrier. I went with a Saris after much consideration.

Bottom line, the Minidomore hitch is expensive but that's the only cost you'll as installation is eazy.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Mini Flyer
1st Gear
"Great looking car.... but one question. Where's the exhaust pipes?"

I have a cooper and put the S gas cap ans JCW aero kit on.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I have the minidomore hitch and even went so far as making a hole in my JCW bumper.

Here's a pic of the plug. It's an old pic since then I've smoothed it out and painted it again.

Awesome! Awesome!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so hoping some one would finally try this. When did you order this from us. I am so excited to see it on a JCW bumper. It looks great!!!!!!!!!!

You have made my night

Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Actually Brent, you made my day. You may not remember but I was the one that purchased a hitch from you for my R52. I ended up trading the car in about a week later.

You so kindly allowed me to send it back and I paid a cleanup fee on it and you sent me the new hitch for my R56.

Anyway, here's an updated pic. I sanded down the little cover and smoothed it out before painting it.

PS. I'll be calling you today, I never got it wired and need the wiring harness for it.

Thanks,

Mark

PS. I bought the car roughly in June so I'd say it's 4-5 months ago. It was under Collision Specialties, Inc.

Last edited by orangecrush; 11-12-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
Brent - I emailed you and received a response that the minidomore kit will not work w/the JCW or factory aero. With the pictures posted above, it looks like it can.

Your thoughts on giving it a shot on the factory painted 09 aero kit? (no grills, smoothed out bumper) I'd really like to go with your kit vs. others.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Hitch options 08 MCS