Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hood Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Vik
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard is it to put on the aftermarket hood stripes yourself?

What are the general steps involved?

Cheers
Vik

Old 08-28-2003, 09:26 PM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are different ways to go about this but here's what I did... First I took some masking tape and lined it up by putting the tape on the outside line of where I wanted the stripe. I just looked at some pictures and kind of guessed where to put them. It is not as important to get them in the same place as anybody else, as much as it is important to get both stripes identical.

Once I was satisfied to where the first stripe is going to be, I masked the other stripe and checked from a distance that they were the same.

I used an old spray bottle and added a couple of drops of dish soap for a positioning lube. Spray the hood then spray the stripe while pealing the backing off and lay the stripe next to your masking tape. If you have an old credit card or plastic bondo knife, use one of these to start working out the soap/water. start from the center and work outward.

If there are any bubbles try to work them out before you take off the face tape. If you find bubbles after you've already done that, you can still work them out, but be very carful. You can stretch the vynal and the bubble will be perminant. You can also use a needle to poke the bubble if it's very big but most small bubbles will dissapear after a week or so.

Do the same for the other stripe (duh!)

I used this technique for both my stripes and the side graphics. Hope this helps!

MINIACK