Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Driving light install and license plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 AM
DME
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving light install and license plate relocation

The other day I posted about the great deal on Optilux (Hella) 1500 driving lights I got from rallylights.com - $25 shipped priority mail.

I wanted to put them in this weekend, and I have also been going crazy looking at that stupid license plate mount.

So here's the result (sorry for the crummy pic).

If you push down on the plastic lip you can tell that in certain places where the clips are it has a firmer connection to the grille (and thus more support and stability). I put the lights at those places. I drilled the holes, made a little extra room on each end of the hole for adjustment, and put the lights on. Got a lit switch with a LED indicator from Wal Mart for $3 and used that. (Incidentally, it's a pain in the *** to find a ground inside the cabin.)

I removed the license plate holder, took the plate, and cut the bottom off with an angle grinder and then a grinding wheel to eyeball it and smooth it out. It is held in place with a single machine screw through the middle that goes through the grille. By some coincidental quirk what's left of the bottom right hole for the plate's mounting screw fits exactly where the wires for the lamp go through.

While I was grinding the plate down I kept checking it against the grille (incidentally, the left side is ground up a bit higher to meet the rise in the "lips" angle). If I didn't have the lights installed I would have mounted it right in the center and left it a little taller - I tried it and the result is that the bottom of the plate rests against the grille - the top rests against the outside of the grille opening - and it sits at an aesthetically pleasing angle (down). Oh well - the wiring got in the way and I didn't want to cut the whole darn thing up.

Is this legal? Probably not. Am I worried about getting a ticket? No.

I also removed the COOPER S badging from the hatch and waxed the residue off prior to washing it. I did it when everything was cold and rock hard and it didn't take me more than 10 min. Next up is an M7 scoop that is coming in the mail today

Dave
'04 MCS EB/W 63,400 miles
getting there

Last edited by DME; 02-11-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 PM
tekron
3rd Gear
i cant believe you cut your license plate

Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
We put these lights on two weeks ago

Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lilruffcat

What did you use to mount the lights?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM
DME
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tekron
i cant believe you cut your license plate
Why? Millions of people hide and obscure them with license plate covers. I'm not really worried about it. Unless you're on top of it it looks like it's tucked under the lip.

I'm a big fan of Hellas:

(that was about 12 years ago). However, I commute into DC and park in an underground garage and I have no faith in my fellow man's ability to navigate without smashing into me.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...-brackets.html

We used these, and also ordered the lights from outmotoring. We put the caps on yesterday.. it loooks sharp.
Also the lip was put on the same day we installed the lights

Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DME: Did you find a ground in the cab? I have a few spots, depending on where you mounted the switch. If you put it on the knee bolster there is a possible ground right near the back of the steering wheel column cover.

Thats where my Hella's are grounded to. I still need to get pics up of my lights.

Originally Posted by DME
However, I commute into DC and park in an underground garage and I have no faith in my fellow man's ability to navigate without smashing into me.
The MINI is small enough to park all the back in your spot. Or even pull forward towards a wall as close as possible... HeHe I have 4 Hella's but don't commute to DC, but park on college campus, so far no issues.

Last edited by MNEEME; 02-11-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM
DME
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MNEEME
DME: Did you find a ground in the cab? I have a few spots, depending on where you mounted the switch. If you put it on the knee bolster there is a possible ground right near the back of the steering wheel column cover.

Thats where my Hella's are grounded to. I still need to get pics up of my lights.

The MINI is small enough to park all the back in your spot. Or even pull forward towards a wall as close as possible... HeHe I have 4 Hella's but don't commute to DC, but park on college campus, so far no issues.
If you get on your back and look up underneath the steering column there is a point at which the painted bodywork folds down and is bolted to a rough cast piece of what I assume is steel. I jammed the ground into that seam because the switch is down below the console next to my hidden XM reciever.

I already have my own special place in the garage that no one else can fit into...but I got nailed the entire length of my car two or three weeks ago Plus I drive fast enough that I want to keep a low profile for Johnny Law

Dave

Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah I see, well as long it works for ya!

Ah Bummer mate. I don't understand how people don't pay attention when they are in a parking lot or garage.... lol

Yea thats true, but to tell ya the truth those lights are still illegal in the state of VA... By this I mean - In the state of VA whether it is driving or fog lights they are supposed to go off when you activate your high beams ( I know seems stupid, especially for driving lights) But in the case of the MINI if you tap into the low beams for power they stay on with the high beams. So that doesn't help us. But I wouldn't worry bout cause the OEM factory lights are only wired to come on with the high beams.... HaHa Oh Well, just make sure they are aimed right so you don't blind people and you shouldn't have a problem with "Johnny Law" Hope that makes sense.

Please don't let this discourage you from installing light on your MINI.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:18 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...-brackets.html

We used these, and also ordered the lights from outmotoring. We put the caps on yesterday.. it loooks sharp.
Also the lip was put on the same day we installed the lights
when did you buy the mounts? according to the page, they're out of stock