Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Notice: Amazing Lightbar!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 AM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
I dont mean behind, I am talking about in front of the lower vent opening, below the bumper, in line where the driving lites are. I was wondering if maybe removing the plastic grill and mounted it there up close to the radiator to keep the lites tucked in tight to the body.
There really isnt much space. The bumper is too flimsy to mount anything to, and unless you had very thin, or very small lights it wouldn't really matter anyway. I tried this every way I could think of, but it just never quite worked. I tried different lights, and different mounting ideas. I finally bucked up and bought the Alta light bar. And I love it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that I never figured out how to do it. Now, if you come up with a plan and it works, be sure to post some pics, I'd love to see it. Good luck.

Last edited by MaxMini81; 01-19-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-20-2008, 02:12 PM
edubledie
4th Gear
not sure if anyones tried this but i think it would look great... to have a lightbar on the roof almost 4 wheeler inspired ...i think it would look hot

Old 01-20-2008, 02:20 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by edubledie
not sure if anyones tried this but i think it would look great... to have a lightbar on the roof almost 4 wheeler inspired ...i think it would look hot
The biggest hurdle would be coming up with a cool looking roof rack.
So far I havent seen any that get me to excited.
i do like your idea.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM
creseida
4th Gear
I would be concerned about cutting off airflow to the engine by blocking that opening.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by creseida
I would be concerned about cutting off airflow to the engine by blocking that opening.
unless you are racing at high RPM's in the sarah desert you would not have a cooling problem

Old 01-21-2008, 12:52 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A roof-mounted lightbar would be cool but they're illegal to use on the road... that said, getting some light mounts for a Thule or Yakima rack is pretty straightforward, and wiring to a cig lighter plug is always possible!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:04 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
A roof-mounted lightbar would be cool but they're illegal to use on the road... that said, getting some light mounts for a Thule or Yakima rack is pretty straightforward, and wiring to a cig lighter plug is always possible!
I am trying to develop a light bar for the roof. I have been told by local custom shops that they are illegal in Illinois. From what I have been reading, it appears to be an issue in more states.

That said, understanding the law is in place for safety reasons, is it legal to have foglights on your roof, but illeagal to use them on streets and highways? There are SUV's out there with roof mounted fogs. So are roof mounted fogs only allowed for off road/rally use? I am not well versed on Illinois law, but my research has uncovered that in our state fogs are supposed to be covered when not in use and placement of fogs are to be symmetrical or favor one side (I have forgotten which).

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
IIRC, you can have lights mounted on the roof (just check the Jeep Liberty options box, they have a trim panel with lights available from the dealer/factory!) but they cannot be used legally on the road. I think Jeep actually makes those factory/dealer lights so impotent that they're like parking lights anyway... There are restrictions as to color of forward and rearward facing lights, their height relative to the road and windshield, and (I believe) even the number of white lights you can shine forward at any one time.

Last edited by DixonL2; 01-30-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 AM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
IIRC, you can have lights mounted on the roof (just check the Jeep Liberty options box, they have a trim panel with lights available from the dealer/factory!) but they cannot be used legally on the road. I think Jeep actually makes those factory/dealer lights so impotent that they're like parking lights anyway... There are restrictions as to color of forward and rearward facing lights, their height relative to the road and windshield, and (I believe) even the number of white lights you can shine forward at any one time.
I have seen the fogs on the Jeeps. The light pod is a Mopar product. I have considered just buying that and putting it on my roof, but it is just a bit out of scale.

You're right, but every state has their own wrinkle, so I am not going all out on this project, yet. I have gone through Illonois Rules regarding fogs and it has turned my brain to mush. Really, it would be more of an aesthetic piece than functional. Jeez, the Xenons are enough!! It is something I would just use for special events; parades, Midnight on the Dragon, etc.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Jeez, the Xenons are enough!!
I hear ya - I've got mine aimed legally, perhaps even a bit low, and just last night an old fart in a Buick in the right lane flipped me off as I went past, at a fully reasonable 70MPH with the cruise set (not driving inconsiderately at all). Only thing I could think of was the xenons - they are obnoxious to other drivers sometimes.

... and now I'm adding another 400w of full frontal illumination. Wonder if that'll help anything?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 AM
freeskier
4th Gear
midmomini, is there any way to make the ebay light bar look like the one you afbricated?i want to mount it clower and closer than it is originally.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
I just got mine and it appears a total re-engineering (with welding) would be the only way to mount 'em lower and further in. May as well do as midMOmini did and make another, r use the tubes from the eBay bar and put linger mounting bars on for the back of the bumper assembly. The eBay bar L-brackets are welded, and cutting/rewelding would need to be done. The parts that attach to the back of the bumper would need to be lengthened also.

That said, the eBay bar I bought from couupers looks plenty sturdy and puts the lights where I want 'em. With the addition of a 4-prong plug (trailer plug), I'll also be able to easily remove the horizontal bar that holds the lights if I want to run without them. It'd only leave the forward facing black tubes, which may then be pressed into service as bottle-rocket launchers (kidding - really!).

Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 AM
freeskier
4th Gear
dixon, which ebay bar did you buy that allows you to pu the lights where you want it? link?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear

It's the bar made by reddrockets and sold on eBay, pictured at the top of midMOmini's post. Just realized my wording may be misleading - the bar I got puts the lights where I'd personally like them to be; it's not adjustable to put the lights anywhere. I got mine ever-so-slightly used.

That said, I'm going for function. I want the lights high enough to be effective in really nasty weather as fogs but with some "reach" to them, but don't want 'em on bonnet mounts (too high for me). For form, I like MidMOmini's placement best (hot stuff), but for me that's too low for function, esp. for driving lamps. I'll be mounting 4 lamps, two biggies for driving, and two amber Hella 500's for fog/snow.

Here's the pics of my type of bar I got, installed on midMOmini's mini (from his post above). I'll be flipping the light bracket horizontal bar 90 degrees so the lights sit about 1" higher and 1" closer to the car (can be done, but requires drilling and rustproofing - hope rust-o-leum handles the kind of abuse grille-mounted bars take!).

Last edited by DixonL2; 01-30-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: pics
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
freeskier
4th Gear
looks like the redrocket bar shud do the trick with a little bit of fabrication and the price is right dixion it ould be cool to see some pictures of your setup hen your done

Old 01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
It may be a bit: unheated garage + Pittsburgh winter = few mods

I'll shoot some pics of the assembly once I stop shivering.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 PM
reddrockets
1st Gear
Hey...this is reddrockets & would like to thanks mokmokmini and all that have bought my LIGHT BAR! If you have any questions email me @ chinoa71@msn.com. I am glad to hear that you all are satisfied with my product.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Hey reddrockets - nice product! I'm modding mine (naturally) by putting holes on the other side of the "L" and flipping it - should bring the lights up back back 1" or so. I'll shoot pics...

Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I caved in and bought one. I've got to find another way to mount my plate though (VA requires front plates) Probably going to create my own tow hook mount plate. I'll let ya know how it all goes. Looking to see what you come up with moving the lights back an inch, DixonL2. Please post pics!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
reddrockets
1st Gear
hey it sounds like every body wants the bar back a inch, let me know...

Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
I don't know - and unfortunately won't be installing mine for at least 2 weeks (weather plus business trip). One suggestion may be two mounting holes in the existing design, that'd allow a little movement (see pics, basically another mounting hole 90 degrees from the current one). The left hand pic (with the light bracket at 90 degrees) is the "as-is", and is slightly distorted since the light isn't bolted on, just set in with its nut still attached.

Looking at that and the "installed" pics from midMOmini, though, I don't know if I'll have enough backspacing... should be quite OK on the outers, but the inners may be a little close. MAN I wish I had the time to install this sucker and play around!!

Also - since your crossbar is only a 2-bolt install, I'm using a trailer wiring plug and making mine quick release, even with 4 lamps it'll be a snap! (well, technically 2 bolts and a plug, but you get the point). That way high theft areas, or simply times when I want the lights "off", won't be an issue.

Nice design!

Attached Thumbnails Notice: Amazing Lightbar!-dscn3315.jpg   Notice: Amazing Lightbar!-dscn3316.jpg  

Last edited by DixonL2; 02-03-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by True Joy
I have seen the fogs on the Jeeps. The light pod is a Mopar product. I have considered just buying that and putting it on my roof, but it is just a bit out of scale.

You're right, but every state has their own wrinkle, so I am not going all out on this project, yet. I have gone through Illonois Rules regarding fogs and it has turned my brain to mush. Really, it would be more of an aesthetic piece than functional. Jeez, the Xenons are enough!! It is something I would just use for special events; parades, Midnight on the Dragon, etc.
Here in MA, from what i hear, they say you cant have any lights on the vehicle unless they are factory. Dont know if any other states are like this.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:20 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
redrockets: I agree a little closer would be better. They do stick out a little far. (Great design though!) And what DixonL2 is simple to do. Its a matter if the inner lights become to close though. But then you could mount them the way it was orginally designed(if that makes sense)

DixonL2: Great job! Def. moves 'em back!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
midMOmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hatch
Here in MA, from what i hear, they say you cant have any lights on the vehicle unless they are factory. Dont know if any other states are like this.
MO is kind of like that. We can have as many lights as we want on the car but there can only be 4 drive lights on at a time.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Fact or Fiction

There have been negative opinions by other NAMers that 4 lamp light bar is detremental to airflow to the radiator/engine/etc. when located in front of the lower grille.

You guys wanna chime in on that?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Notice: Amazing Lightbar!