Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Driving Light Legality in CA

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Kenwoodism
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Light Legality in CA

So I've been planning on throwing either several outmotoring brackets and some Hella 500's, or an ALTA light bar with the IPF's on my '06 MCS...

Problem is, I've been reading through some of the California state laws and it looks like any lights mounted on the lower grille are a no-no...
"
Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches."

And, it seems that any more than 2 lights at a time is another ticket waiting to happen:
(a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing
to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp
system shall be considered as one lamp.

So what's the deal, seeing as my MCS with stock fog lights running is already pushing 6 headlights with the 2 fog,
2 parking and 2 headlights. So, does anyone know how illegal/enforced these laws are, and what have other people with driving light setups
experienced in California (LA in particular - I do a lot of night driving in the boondocks).

Cheers,
Kenwoodism

Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Kenwoodism
Neutral
Here are some examples of light setups that I'm considering:

Attached Thumbnails Driving Light Legality in CA-fall-07-mini-b.jpg   Driving Light Legality in CA-dscn5190a.jpg   Driving Light Legality in CA-af8bf081aa8960503d1d692168d199fc.jpg  
Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious why you think you need all those lights. Don't you have the xenons?

I think the worst case scenario would be that you'd get a fix-it ticket and have to remove the offending lights. You could "enjoy" them until then. But I rather doubt they're going to bother to enforce that unless you're stopped for something else and start behaving badly...

Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"But officer, I only use them for off-roading!"

Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I have seen alot of MINIs in LA with Aux lights and its stock option as well. If you drive fast at night say Mullhohand, Angels Crest, Mt. Baldy area, etc chances are cops are not gonna pull you over for having Aux. lights, but rather excessive speed. Go for it, get them worst that can happen is fix it ticket, means all ya gotta do is remove bracket and disconnect sing-off and reinstall.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Greg S
3rd Gear
The parking lights don't count toward this total. You can run with covers on them and that gets you past the letter of the law because they are not visible, off-road truckers used to do this all the time. Just don't drive with more than two pairs running at any one time, ie; fog and lowbeam or driving and highbeam. Which brings up another point. True driving lights, not just clear fogs, are not supposed to be used except when you have your highbeams on. This is the one of the lighting tickets I have actually received. It's not even a fix it ticket, actually now that I think of it I may have just gotten a warning on that one.

Real world result is that you can run them and you won't get a ticket unless you've managed to **** a cop off, but I wouldn't do normal city driving with the driving lights on. That's the main reason I haven't added them as I can't really use them in my normal driving.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Kenwoodism
Neutral
Ahh, good replies - thanks everyone!

While I'll agree that there really is absolutely no reason to have these INSIDE LA because lighting isn't exactly scarce, I'm often far enough outside of the city in the boondocks to where these would be pretty nice to have.

Also, while I do have Xenon's, it couldn't hurt to have a few more lights - if for no other reason than to pay my due respects to classic minis :P

On the note of classic mini's, does anyone have some pictures of classic mini driving light setups? I've been poking around the forums and google and either A) there aren't very many pictures of classic's with driving lights or B) I'm search-tarded.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:56 AM
OV_MINI
2nd Gear
Here are some photos I found on the web...not sure it's what you're looking for...but, maybe some ideas...Cheers!

Of course, the rallye version...

Old 12-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Bang110
5th Gear
I have a Ford Bronco and I have a bunch of lights on it. I know alot of cops and they said that you can have one set of extra lights (driving lights) while on the road.. If they are covered you can have as many as you want.. But if you for some strange reasion get seen with all 4 lighted then it might just be a fix it ticket. I am planning on running 4 extra lights. Sometimes I drive on back road less populated areas with the truck and I love turning them all on.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Note that it says "Illuminated" Just having them is no problem. Driving lights (which are designed for very dark areas) are supposed to work only when the hi-beams are on and fogs are supposed to illuminate only when the low-beams are on (because fog glares back if the hi-beams are on) . So, if you do the wiring legally, there should be no problem.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Note that it says "Illuminated" Just having them is no problem. Driving lights (which are designed for very dark areas) are supposed to work only when the hi-beams are on and fogs are supposed to illuminate only when the low-beams are on (because fog glares back if the hi-beams are on) . So, if you do the wiring legally, there should be no problem.
I live in Los Angeles, but go to the Dragon several times a year. I use my aftermarket PIAAs along with the xenon hi-beams and fogs, as driving those mountain twisties calls for it! The independent mechanic that installed the PIAAs for me set them up so I can use them with low or high beam, but I really only use them in the mountains. I have the little grid covers on them, but I don't think those count as covers, as they don't affect functionality.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Carol@PaloUberMini.com
Former Vendor
Ticket or no ticket....

We have been installing The Light Bar, for over four years world-wide, and we have NEVER had a customer recieve a citation to the best of our knowledge. Our system does work completely independently from all other lights, and that very well be why. You dont even have to have parking lamps on, our wiring harness lets you run all four, or just two at any time. I myself have been pulled over for "extreme" speed violations while having all four hella 500 on, and recieved a citation for speed only.
I have asked numerous cops at what point or why they would enforce the law as it is written, and they ALL basically said the same thing.." if they are out of adjustment and glaring upwards in your eyes, they COULD possibly pull them over". They all also said the ones mounted high are the ones they look for. Our setup and the Alta set up are low and dont have that problem.
I wouldnt worry about it, just do what you want and I am sure youll be ok, its like running a front plate in Cali- who wants to ruin the looks by doing that??

Old 12-30-2007, 11:29 AM
J_D
3rd Gear
I have recieved a ticket for haveing 4 driving lights uncovered. The lights were not even hooked up (wires were clearly not connected at the lights). It all depends on your attitude and the cops unfortunatly.
Letter of the law VS the spirit of the law.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had driving lights (Moss MINI) on my '03 Cooper for 3 years (I live in Los Angeles) and had no problems. I got pulled over once in that time, and it was for speeding--the only thing the cop asked was whether I was running nitrous, lol.

"Uhm no officer, my Cooper runs fast enough without a supercharger or even nitrous"

Old 12-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Yep, the factory lights are only suppose to work with the high beams unless you wire it up some different way.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Kenwoodism
Neutral
Just put in the order for the Palo Uber light bar yesterday... when it's installed, there will be pictures to come.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
You can do it but you have to have them covered in CA while on the street :(

Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
^ very interesting posts, who knows where to find these sorts of laws regarding lights anyways? I live in VA, and im curious now