Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Tail light mods (boot light mods)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 AM
shalootm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light mods (boot light mods)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...QQcmdZViewItem

has anyone seen these? i am a fan of this style of light.

3 q's

1. will the fit on an 06' S ???

2. any opinions on the quality of this product ???

3. does any one have them ??? (please post some good pics from multiple angels )

and in case the link dies they are APC euro tail lights (alteza)

also this would be an awesome place to post some pics of tail light mods

i.e. bulb upgrades, assembly swaps, etc.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 AM
shalootm
1st Gear
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...QQcmdZViewItem

here is a black version /// im not a huge fan of chrome

Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM
JCL_06MCS
2nd Gear
check out my gallery, i got custom taillights on my 06 off of ebay, the issue with fitment is that the 06 has the backup light built into the taillight, all of the ones ive seen on ebay dont have the reverse light, the way i got around it was to buy a reverse light that fits where the fog light goes and you tap into the reverse light to make the connection, directions are easy for this. I had a blank spacer where the fog light was. going for the whole black out look on my car.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hahahah WOW....those are some horrendous taillights. Stock would look much better.

In terms of quality.....there is a reason the saying exists "You can't spell 'crap' without APC" . APC is renowned for making poor quality cheap parts found on the rusty modified hondas that cruise around your local city. It's definitely a step down in quality from an OEM product.

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 10-24-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 AM
JCL_06MCS
2nd Gear
well rally, i didnt realize you were the fassion police, some of us like a different look to be a bit more unique, from the standard boring OEM parts, as for quality, i dont see any difference, havent had 1 problem with mine yet. you know ive never put anybody down for doing something on these forums, i respect other peoples choices, even if i wouldnt make them myself.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JCL_06MCS
well rally, i didnt realize you were the fassion police, some of us like a different look to be a bit more unique, from the standard boring OEM parts, as for quality, i dont see any difference, havent had 1 problem with mine yet. you know ive never put anybody down for doing something on these forums, i respect other peoples choices, even if i wouldnt make them myself.
What makes me the police? I simply expressed my opinion. I like making the car unique just as much as anyone else... I just don't want to make my car unique by adding unattractive parts that don't flow with the lines of the car car. Believe me....my car is far from stock... but that doesnt mean I have tacked on parts that stick out and don't flow with the oem quality and design.

Typing in "Cant spell crap without apc" into google you get forums from Mazdas, Hondas, and nissans all saying the same thing. It's not something i just made up.....the finish on their parts is cheap and plastic looking. It's a widely spread knowledge that they make cheap parts...

Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Another thread about them concerning APC quality and design https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...APC+taillights

Some pics of the tails on MINI's found on NAM

Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
Sorry, I'm with Rally...

I think as far as quality is concerned, OEM parts are much better than anything APC ever put out. I speak from experience. I had a 97 Civic previously and got APC red/white taillights that looked like the 98 oem tails. They looked great for a few years, then slowly faded to pink. OEM parts simply don't do that.

From a style standpoint, I am not an Altezza style guy either. It was nice on the Altezza, but personally they look out of place on any other car. I don't understand why so many car manufacturers jumped on that bandwagon and continue to do so. (Mazda/Ford for example.)

The style aspect of course is totally subjective so if you like them, go for it. Just be prepared to replace them in a few years. As I mentioned, mine faded quickly and I've seen plenty of "altezza" lights on the roads that are cracked, faded or have popped out reflectors.

Hit up LANGSTON for some film if you want to change up the tails!

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
What makes me the police? I simply expressed my opinion. I like making the car unique just as much as anyone else... I just don't want to make my car unique by adding unattractive parts that don't flow with the lines of the car car. Believe me....my car is far from stock... but that doesnt mean I have tacked on parts that stick out and don't flow with the oem quality and design.

Typing in "Cant spell crap without apc" into google you get forums from Mazdas, Hondas, and nissans all saying the same thing. It's not something i just made up.....the finish on their parts is cheap and plastic looking. It's a widely spread knowledge that they make cheap parts...

Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
JCL_06MCS
2nd Gear
the reason i went with the APC is that there arent many other choices out there for an 06, also they are cheap at $29 i can buy new ones every 2 years, so i dont car about wear. thirdly i wanted to be different than the OEM, and my point was i wouldnt knock anybody for going their own way.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:54 PM
shalootm
1st Gear
no reverse light huh? how are the other bulbs arranged ... pretty simple?? what happens with the extra bulbs/ wires??

and lets see some other taillight mods w/ some pics/ links for purchasing
and maybe some howto/diy info

Old 10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
HABUTGO
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Hahahah WOW....those are some horrendous taillights.
Okay~ good to know.

Shalootm
I have the same problem with my 05. mine has built in bulbs. And so my cheap Lights Off ebay still siting in the garage collecting dust.
also mine came with some broken part and found out I have to pay for the shipback charge!! so, its collecting dust.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Rally actually is the fashion police ..just messing ....do what you want for your car though....what kind of springs are you running. or are they coilovers?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Rally actually is the fashion police
Come on man....you're gonna blow my cover......

Old 10-28-2007, 02:26 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Coming from the Honda community (actually I still work at a Honda dealership, so I guess I'm still in that community), I'll never put "Euro-lights" on another car. Stupidest thing I ever did.

I quickly learned it's better to modify little things... and do it without being obvious. Taillights are just cheap, overdone mods... just boring now.

I am biased though... I think the taillights on Cooper's look like Rolls Royce Phantom lights, and I LOVE RRP's.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had mine for about 3 months now. I hate apc products, but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the lights. They have yet to leak or fog up. I like the look on my car. and at $35, I can't complain at all. If only i could say the same about the black side markers i purchased from outmotoring...those things have fogged up since the day i got them..

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
shalootm
1st Gear
did you paint them to match your paint or is that how they came ??

Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Altezza style lights look great personally. But not in chrome - to each their own though. I plan to get a set of the black ones as soon as I can locate a pair - so far all i can find are graphite or chrome though. I do wish they had the reverse lights, but you can put in the 2002-2004 center-mounted reverse light with just a little extra wiring - I believe that part costs about $25 and is available form any MINI parts counter.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM
noles825
Banned
Originally Posted by SnYpR
ive had mine for about 3 months now. I hate apc products, but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the lights. They have yet to leak or fog up. I like the look on my car. and at $35, I can't complain at all. If only i could say the same about the black side markers i purchased from outmotoring...those things have fogged up since the day i got them..

Where did you get your mesh from on the rear bumper?

Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shalootm
did you paint them to match your paint or is that how they came ??
they came satin black with silver around the lenses...like the ones rallymini posted. I just painted them.

Originally Posted by noles825
Where did you get your mesh from on the rear bumper?
MossMini I do believe.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
snypr - you should spray paint the heat shields behind your grills black.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glnr13
snypr - you should spray paint the heat shields behind your grills black.
Yeah, it looks like aluminum foil back there! its on my to-do list already.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 PM
noles825
Banned
Sorry to bring back another old thread, but if you do paint those heat shields make sure to use the high temperature flat grill paint. I did mine and it looks waaaay better