Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Installing a Kuda Mount in the R56...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I was able to get my Kuda mount to fit perfect without removing the speedo bezel or any dash part. If you bend the metal tabs and just plug it installs just right (you need a plastic gaping tool to do it perfect). There is no reason for this complex install, unless your hardwiring it through the dash. People are making a bit to much of a simple thing.

The following users liked this post:
shrimpy (01-21-2018)
Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JudgeS
FWIW, I was able to get my Kuda mount to fit perfect without removing the speedo bezel or any dash part. If you bend the metal tabs and just plug it installs just right (you need a plastic gaping tool to do it perfect). There is no reason for this complex install, unless your hardwiring it through the dash. People are making a bit to much of a simple thing.

Glad that worked out for you. I did have to do a hard wire install with mine as well but it's nice to know you can just wedge it in there.

BTW for those of you on here.
After hard wiring my Kuda mount with the Palm treo charger that plugs into the dc plug I now have a different phone and need to sell that part.

So if you have a treo and need the charging mont I have one for half price. Also have a sprint Palm troe 755 for sale.

PM or email mike@aestheticreations.net me if you want them.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
JudgeS,

Can you give some more detaisl about this. I am not familiar with the tool. Also the stepsyou used in getring mounted.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
JudgeS,

Can you give some more detaisl about this. I am not familiar with the tool. Also the stepsyou used in getring mounted.

Thanks
Its just a simple slim wedged piece of plastic (I got one free with a pro clip mount a while back) it allows you to spread plastic gaps easy and without scratching the interior, it gives you more room to work with as well. I don't know where you would get one, but its quite basic, and a taped up screw driver could do the same job.

It was a very simple process one of the tabs just slid right in when gaped and the other one I was able to bend out then back after I got the first in, I then used the the gapping tool to bend all the tabs in more so it fits perfect. It took me no more than 2 minutes to do. That may not be the best description but if you have the mount in hand its simple to see what I described.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Its just a simple slim wedged piece of plastic (I got one free with a pro clip mount a while back) it allows you to spread plastic gaps easy and without scratching the interior, it gives you more room to work with as well. I don't know where you would get one, but its quite basic, and a taped up screw driver could do the same job.

It was a very simple process one of the tabs just slid right in when gaped and the other one I was able to bend out then back after I got the first in, I then used the the gapping tool to bend all the tabs in more so it fits perfect. It took me no more than 2 minutes to do. That may not be the best description but if you have the mount in hand its simple to see what I described.
That sounds like a lot less drama than removing the speedo bezel. Although I am planing to hardwire the power source and aux cable, that is just a simple tug of the trim piece.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Having followed this thread for awhile now yesterday I took the plunge and ordered the Kuda mount with the Garmin nuvi adapter for my 760 and it should be here soon.

The reason for my delay in buying it was that I had to wait for my 2008 Stimulus check to arrive in the mail first before I placed my order.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
That sounds like a lot less drama than removing the speedo bezel. Although I am planing to hardwire the power source and aux cable, that is just a simple tug of the trim piece.
For those hardwiring...are you just tapping off an ACC 12V source with a T tap behind the bezel somewhere or are you running a physical wire to the fuse box?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
For those hardwiring...are you just tapping off an ACC 12V source with a T tap behind the bezel somewhere or are you running a physical wire to the fuse box?
Over in the Navigation & Audio sub forum here is some directions posted by lacning74 for hardwiring.See if that helps any.

Link:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111280

Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Thanks. That is a great thread.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Thanks. That is a great thread.
You are welcome and yes it is just like this one is too.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Oh absolutely. I wasn't knocking this one at all!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Having a problem with my Kuda mount

I have a different Kuda mount than the one that is pictured in the beginning of this thread. Mine mounts on the pillar to the right of the CD player.
There are two tabs on the left side of the mount... one that slides in next to the CD player and one that is supposed to slide into next to the temperature control dial.
The problem that I'm experiencing is that if I slide the tab in next to that dial, the dial sticks. So I've bent the tab in and I'm not using it. It's okay for now, but it takes away from the stability of the mount.
Does anyone else have this kind of mount? Any issues?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 AM
wncommercial
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
I have a different Kuda mount than the one that is pictured in the beginning of this thread. Mine mounts on the pillar to the right of the CD player.
There are two tabs on the left side of the mount... one that slides in next to the CD player and one that is supposed to slide into next to the temperature control dial.
The problem that I'm experiencing is that if I slide the tab in next to that dial, the dial sticks. So I've bent the tab in and I'm not using it. It's okay for now, but it takes away from the stability of the mount.
Does anyone else have this kind of mount? Any issues?
I have, and it does make the temp control dial a little sticky. It has eased up a little bit over time, plus I don't really change the dial very much anyways.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I'm constantly tweaking mine, so I guess I'll keep it the way I have it.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Can you show a pic?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I'll try to remember to get one tonight

Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 AM
wncommercial
1st Gear
Can you show a pic?
I'm not sure if you're asking about the "lower" kuda mount we've just been discussing or the earlier part of the thread about the nav mount. There's pics of both in my gallery.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed my Kuda mount atop the dash, took less then a minute to fit it to the dash, nothing was removed, just used my plastic trim tool (we call them bones at work). Slid the bottom clip in & then gapped & inserted the upper clip, no bending or extraordinary effort required. Extremely easy install and very oem result, but I did have to use a bit of glue to secure the trim cover to the base of the garmin stand-off.
I haven't done anything with/about the cord yet

The following users liked this post:
shrimpy (01-21-2018)
Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
JCWMINIMIAMI
2nd Gear
Ok I have two questions...Where can I get this plastic tool that a few of you are talking about...and my second is where are the two screws at the top I was able to remove the clips but was not sure if the screws face the glass of the other way....Can someone help?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I got my tool with a proclip from proclipusa.com - perhaps they'll sell you one?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I got my tool with a proclip from proclipusa.com - perhaps they'll sell you one?
Haha, thats where I got mine as well. I think you could make one just as easy with a screw driver and some electrical tape, or find something at home depot/lowes that would do the job it just a thin plastic wedge.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM
wncommercial
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JCWMINIMIAMI
Ok I have two questions...Where can I get this plastic tool that a few of you are talking about...and my second is where are the two screws at the top I was able to remove the clips but was not sure if the screws face the glass of the other way....Can someone help?
If you have a Fry's, you can get one there.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JCWMINIMIAMI
Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95432
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95532
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95214

Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM
JCWMINIMIAMI
2nd Gear
Wow ok I kinda see what you guys are talking about.....so I just wedge the plastic open with that.....

Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I just used the Judges method and it took me 45 seconds. Now it's going to take me a while to decide if I want to use that spot for a gps (as opposed to suction mount on the speedometer) or if I should use a proclip device mount for my cell phone. My initial thoughts are to use it for cell phone since I don't use the gps that often and I'd be able to see anyone calling since it's in my line of sight.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Installing a Kuda Mount in the R56...