How To Interior: R56 shift knob and boot in R53

Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 AM
sode
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior: R56 shift **** and boot in R53

Hi all, this is my way of giving back to the community. I received a R56 shift **** and boot a while back as a gift and didn't get around to installing it until now, when I discovered that the boot is too narrow and that the shift **** is too deep to slide on.

I used this as an opportunity to try something with the overly tall shifter and my ripped boot from the R53.

Supplies required:
R53 shift boot and bezel
R56 shift ****, boot and bezel
5/8" outer diameter x 1/2" inner diameter vinyl tubing ($6.67 for 10' at home Depot)
Measuring tape
Hacksaw
Towel paper
Utility knife

Step 1: Remove shift boot bezel by grabbing it firmly and prying upwards.

Step 2: Pull the boot up to reveal a zip tie holding the boot on to the shift rod. Cut the zip tie.

Step 3: Grab the shift **** with both hands and pull upwards towards the roof to remove.
Tired R53 shift ****

At this point you should have the boot with bezel and **** off of the shifter assembly.

Step 4: Mark 2.5" down from top of shift rod and place paper towel or old rags around the shifter area. Then proceed to cut horizontally with a hack saw.
Shifter after cutting and removing plastic collar using channellock pliers

Step 5: slide 3" of 5/8 OD x 1/2 ID vinyl tubing into the R56 shift ****. Don't worry if you can't get it all in.

Step 6: Fold your r53 shift boot into the bezel, leave about 2" of material and cut off the rest.
Modified r53 boot

Step 7: Reinstall then r53 shift boot bezel with modified boot from above.

Step 8: Slide R56 shift boot and **** assembly (with the vinyl tube inside) over the modified shift rod and force the **** down as far as possible as it compresses the tubing and fixes itself in place.

Step 9: Push the R56 boot and bezel firmly into place.
Finished install

Step 10: Enjoy your new short shifter and shift ****!

Took me about 1.5 hours including painting my R53 bezel and going to the store for tubing.