How To R56 Clutch Install How-to, Aluminum Solid Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Bebo Rosa
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever hear of these things slipping? I'm having one installed and the shop says its slipping like crazy. Called JMTC and they just suggested I get the master cylinder replaced. Its driving me crazy��

Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM
CaliminiR56
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bebo Rosa
Ever hear of these things slipping? I'm having one installed and the shop says its slipping like crazy. Called JMTC and they just suggested I get the master cylinder replaced. Its driving me crazy��
How many miles are you at? But I've put on almost 30 k and haven't

Old 11-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Adwsail
Neutral
Clutch instal to cv joint disaster

Thanks to all the post regarding putting a new sm clutch into my 07 mcs. The clutch works fine but alas something has happened to the cv joints, I think. I got the car all back together with new rear crank seal, new axle seals, a beefy turbo diverted valve, new clutch master cylinder, etc. when I fired her up and backed up the clutch felt great, no wierd sounds. Put it into first gear and made a rather tight u-turn. Still no weirdness. Fifteen feet going straight down my driver I suddenly hear the clunk-clunk-cluck of one or more bad cv joints. So I gently backed up, no clunking. . Backed up some more, still no clunking. So I turned it off for another trip underneath.

I was careful to keep the halfshafts and steering box suspended as suggested. However in pulling the right axle out of the transaxle I probably pulled the a-arm out to far. Could this have damaged the cv joint? Brady's hinted at possibly destroying the cv joints if you aren't careful but I can find no other information. How can you destroy a cv joint by pulling the axle? My Bentley manual is no help either. I can't tell you what a crushed feeling I have after all that work and the clutch works great! But the car is undriveable. Any advice, hints, tips would be so greatly appreciated before I start to pull the whole mess apart again.

Last edited by Adwsail; 11-02-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence
Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 AM
Adwsail
Neutral
Doh, be SURE you have FULLY tightened the 2 lower A-arm nuts on each side before suspecting the cv joints. If they are loose and your driveway is bumpy dirt and roots it will sounds just like bad cv joints. My apologies to the forum.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Captain Kirk
1st Gear
Since the aluminum flywheel does not have a hole for the timing tool, how do you lock the crank when doing a timing chain?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:04 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
Since the aluminum flywheel does not have a hole for the timing tool, how do you lock the crank when doing a timing chain?
Most aftermarket flywheels have this hole. If not, obtain a scrap unit from a dealer and take both the scrap unit and aluminum unit to a machine shop. They can add the hole. Worked fine for me —- great shop!

Old 03-03-2019, 03:45 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
There is already a lot going on in this thread. So, I'll reserve my experience from doing my R60. One thing I did want to share is the engine/front clip support that settled on. This will allow you to support the engine and radiator core support without needing to suspend from the ceiling. Maybe it will be useful for someone in the future.