How To Heating and Air Conditioning :: Replacing the A/C Compressor Clutch Coil

Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Not a problem. Just make sure they thoroughly flush the system, which should be standard procedure when replacing the compressor, and you should be good to go.

Hope it all works out well!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:20 AM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished replacing the clutch coil and problem solved!!! Thank you very much for the write up. It took me about 3hrs, including a trip to the store because I found my snap ring pliers were broken. I've only been a mini owner for a couple of weeks and this was my first repair so the write up helped immensely. Here are pics of my old coil and it looks like the heat just cooked it.

Name:  20130914_135457_zps394cda55.jpg
Views: 6084
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  20130914_135503_zps73c2a611.jpg
Views: 6042
Size:  155.5 KB

Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Congrats on the fix and welcome to NAM! Glad the write-up was helpful!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
Just an FYI for anyone considering attempting, it's really not very difficult. I ordered the part off of ebay and even with buying a knock off belt tool and an inexpensive impact gun from Harbor Freight, I only have around $200 in the job...a fraction of replacing the compressor.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
While this thread is fresh let me ask this related question: With this method of compressor access is it also possible to completely remove the compressor? In other words, is it possible to reach and disconnect the refrigerant lines running from and to the compressor? TIA.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:51 PM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JAB 67
While this thread is fresh let me ask this related question: With this method of compressor access is it also possible to completely remove the compressor? In other words, is it possible to reach and disconnect the refrigerant lines running from and to the compressor? TIA.
Yes, if you want to remove the compressor, you can use this same process.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:13 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
WingZombie: By 'process' you mean the 'remove an engine mount attach a strap approach', rather than disassembling the entire front end, correct?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 AM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JAB 67
WingZombie: By 'process' you mean the 'remove an engine mount attach a strap approach', rather than disassembling the entire front end, correct?
Correct. If you follow the write up to the point where the compressor is loose/dropped, you'll then be able to disconnect the lines and pull the compressor out completely.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Dirkdaddy
1st Gear
I have a video which isnt really quite all inclusive as this excellent writeup but if someone wants to see it

The car isn't mine but I get into once in a while to fix things.

Cheers,
DD

Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm way outta time here, haven't been on in over a year. A/C clutch coil went bad, I replaced it with an ebay coil part. But I don't think it has the diode in it. The a/c control circuit is relay controlled, wouldn't this relay keep the voltage spikes of a discharging coil from the computer? I know voltage spikes can kill computers.

I found the delphi coil/pulley assembly on amazon.uk, so i can get the proper part if i had too.

Last summer I ran months with the ebay coil and had no issues, no pops in the speakers or any indication of voltage spikes. Wouldn't it have killed the computer if it was an issue?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Did the eBay unit die already, or are you just concerned that it might cause other problems?

If it was working well before, I tend to think it will keep working well. Any reason why you think it doesn't have that diode in it?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The ebay coil was working before winter. It was installed in mid July and worked until a/c wasn't needed in Oct or Nov. I'd guess it still works now, haven't tested it. Electromagnetic coils are very reliable, I'm just concerned with electrical feedback hurting the computer.

The ebay coil didn't have the small black box with the diode in it on the back like the oem coil does. Seems odd from a manufacturing stand point if the diode was inside the coil housing.

I'll probably buy the Delphi part from Amazon UK, just to minimize risk of voltage spikes hurting anything.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Might be worth asking the seller if they know whether there's a diode in there or not. I agree, if it isn't there, switching to the Delphi unit would be safer for the other electronics in the car.

Or, you could always install a diode yourself. I don't know enough about circuits to point you in the right direction.

Your mention of the diode reminds me of the cooling fan resistor - there's a diode there too which I've never thought much about. I haven't heard anything bad from people who have put in their own resistor without a matching diode too...

Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM
minishaker
Neutral
Hello from New Zealand. I completed this repair on the weekend. No problems. Although getting to the bolt on the top left of the compressor was not easy. With no extension the socket would not reach and with a 3" extension there was not enough room. I suspect a 13mm long socket would work OK. I ended up using a 3/8 to 1/2 converter linked with a 1/2 to 3/8th's, which gave just the right clearance.

Thanks for the write up.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone knows where to order a clutch coil with the diode. I found one on ebay but there is no diode included, according to the seller.
I'd like to do this repair myself as my mechanic is pushing for a new compressor even after diagnosing the clutch as the issue. He says it's equally expensive to replace the clutch as the whole compressor…Having priced compressors I know this can't be true.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Did you swap out the coil for the Delphi one? If not, is everything still functioning?

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Stanislaus
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone knows where to order a clutch coil with the diode. I found one on ebay but there is no diode included, according to the seller.
I'd like to do this repair myself as my mechanic is pushing for a new compressor even after diagnosing the clutch as the issue. He says it's equally expensive to replace the clutch as the whole compressor…Having priced compressors I know this can't be true.
Delphi one is OEM and has the diode. Amazon UK has it, and I'm pretty sure they will ship to the states.

Delphi 0165006/0 Air Conditioning Compressor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike Delphi 0165006/0 Air Conditioning Compressor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Replacing the clutch is way cheaper than replacing the compressor. Not only is the compressor about 3x as much as the clutch coil, but you also have to evacuate/recharge the system, and usually replace the drier and expansion valve too.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Thanks for the reply! We met in person at Ways when you did your transmission swap.
I'll go hunting for the Delphi part on UK ebay. Earlier I looked on a Delphi parts site and found only complete compressors. Any chance the old coil can be repaired, especially if the issue is frayed wiring, or do the coils typically simply burn up beyond usefulness?

Last edited by Stanislaus; 07-11-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
I think I remember - we thought the limo was picking you up, right? Good to cross paths again!

Amazon UK is the place. Here is the link again:
Delphi 0165006/0 Air Conditioning Compressor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike Delphi 0165006/0 Air Conditioning Compressor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Just priced it and was $123.57 with shipping. I think that's about what I paid for mine a few years ago from Rockauto.

I don't think you'd be able to repair the old coil or add the old diode back in. When I took my old one apart, it was hard to tell exactly which part had failed. There is a chance you just have corrosion on the connector wire, but once you've gotten far enough to inspect it, you might as well just replace the whole clutch coil.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
That's me! As luck would have it, I'm still no closer today to rolling in a limo than I was a few years ago.
I just saw your link so I'm going to check it out. Funny it didn't turn up when I searched for it directly.
Nice to hear from you, too and thanks again for the help. I'm facing an hour-long daily commute coming up and I live in Georgia, so the AC is going to have to happen one way or another.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
One more quick question: That Delphi coil looks like the one for sale in the states- no little black diode box visible. Does it appear to be the same one you ordered? I'll check with the seller to be sure but just curious.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
I don't think you'd be able to see the diode box from the picture they have posted of it. As long as it's the Delphi one, it will have the diode.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Okay, thanks!

Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed a random one off of ebay and it worked fine. The seller probably doesn't know so he said 'No' instead of 'I don't know'.
We paid about USD95.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
By the way here's a detailed howto video I made of the install (mechanic's eye view)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Heating and Air Conditioning :: Replacing the A/C Compressor Clutch Coil