How To Interior/Exterior :: Bonnet Stripes (Wet Application)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Interior/Exterior :: Bonnet Stripes (Wet Application)

Bonnet Stripes (SPORT STRIPES) Install Instructions. This can be used for any Mini or regular Bonnet Stripes.

Suggestion for place to purchase:Good Quality, AFFORDABLE and quick Delivery.
https://www.rockymountaingraphics.com

Things you will need:
1. Spray Bottle full of water with a few drops of Baby Shampoo, not too much, just enough to make it soapy and slick.
2. Application Squeegee (I used a RUBBER Squeegee from LOWES with a plastic handle) do not use a hard plastic squeegee as it could scratch the vinyl
3. Ruler
4. Rubbing Alcohol
5. Clean Rag
6. Hobby Knife or razor blade
7. Phillips Head Screw Driver
8. Plenty of time and patience
9. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUSH, you have plenty of time to work with the vinyl while it is wet.

Instructions

WASH YOUR CAR and dry well
NOTE: TAKE EXTRA TIME TO CLEAN UNDER THE BELT LINE AND UNDER AND AROUND THE WIPERS ON THE BOOT AS THIS AREA TENDS TO COLLECT A LOT OF DIRT, SAND AND GRIME. IF YOU DON'T CLEAN REALLY WELL, YOU CAN GET GRIT UNDER THE VINYL
Remove the Bonnet Scoop being careful not to break any tabs. (remove 1 phillips head screw, squeeze the gray tab that is behind the screw you just removed with a set of needle nose pliers. While squeezing…push up with needle nose pliers just enough to dislodge the gray tab. You should be able to pull gently on the bonnet scoop starting in the middle and working your way to the right and around until it is free from the bonnet. DON’T JERK, pull gently.

Remove the upper grill trim that is attached to the Bonnet (remove the 4 screws, start at one end from the underside and slide and push each tab, you will see the trim raising up off of the Bonnet. Work your way across the bonnet and it will come off.

Place parts in an area where you will NOT damage them.

Starting with the Bonnet it is in 4 pieces (2 stripes, 2 pieces die cut around MINI LOGO)

You will be applying the 2 die cut pieces around the LOGO first
Clean the area around the logo with Rubbing Alcohol and a soft cloth. Allow to dry
DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS, they leave lint!!
Remove the first die cut piece from the backing
Lay it on a flat CLEAN, DRY counter with the Adhesive side UP
Spray it well with the Soapy Water Solution.
Spray the area on the bonnet in which you are going to apply this piece
Position the die-cut vinyl on the applied area, now you can move and slide it around until you get it where you want it. (they should fit snuggly around the logo)
I suggest getting both pieces around the logo on at the same time so you can get it centered and exactly the way you want it.
Once it is in place you can GENTLY use the squeegee to push out the water from under the decal. Once you hit it once with the squeegee, you will see it adhere itself to the bonnet. YES you can still lift it off if needed. Just re wet it and re apply.

NOTE: be VERY careful around the LOGO area with your squeegee, ALWAYS squeegee towards the LOGO, if you go the other way it can fold up the little pieces.

NOTE: The top of the vinyl will extend under the SCOOP area and the bottom will extend UNDER the molding area.

NOTE: I actually used a clean dry rag to get all the water out of the tight areas. Just keep rubbing and pushing down GENTLY with the rag on the edges and they will start to adhere. This is where PATIENCE COMES IN!!

At the is point you should have both small pieces on the bonnet adhered…I can tell, there is a smile of accomplishment and WOW that looks pretty damn good!!

NEXT, the stripes
Measure the INSIDE dimensions between the two pieces you just adhered. This is how wide to set the stripes apart.
There is a hole where the Bonnet scoop gray tab goes into, use this as your center point. It was center on my clubman.
Find the center at the belt line as well. I use a piece of string to get the center.
Clean the area with Rubbing Alcohol and a soft cloth. Allow to dry
DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS, they leave lint!!
Remove the first stripe from the backing
Lay it on a flat CLEAN, DRY counter with the Adhesive side UP
Spray it well with the Soapy Water Solution.
Spray the area on the bonnet in which you are going to apply this piece
Position the die-cut vinyl on the applied area, now you can move and slide it around until you get it where you want it.
I suggest getting both stripes on at the same time so you can get it centered and exactly the way you want it. Stand back and check how straight it is.
Once it is in place you can GENTLY use the squeegee to push out the water from under the decal. Once you hit it once with the squeegee, you will see it adhere itself to the bonnet. YES you can still lift it off if needed. Just re wet it and re apply.
The toughest part is around the belt line, keep using your rag to get rub the water out.
You will have to trim with the razor flush up against the rubber seal on the belt line.
Once trimmed, push more water out and try to get it to lay flat and adhere, again…PATIENCE HERE.

BOOT
The boot is applied the same way,
Start around the wipers

POST YOUR AFTER PICS WHEN DONE!!!!!

Last edited by slimjimtell; 05-10-2016 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wcrjr (10-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
j_wilk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just used these instructions and my install went perfectly! Thanks!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Torri91
3rd Gear
Good to know once I install my stripes

Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
CoolantGuy
3rd Gear
Thumbs up I Agree

Originally Posted by Torri91
Good to know once I install my stripes
Thanks for taking the time to post

Old 05-15-2016, 04:51 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
UPDATE:
New stripes!

GREAT PRICE RIGHT NOW!
R56 - 17.99 for bonnet stripes
R56 - 14.99 for the boot
R55 - 29.99 for the boot and th bonnet (viper style stripes)

I did Silver Grey and add my own double pin stripes from Advance auto! 6.99

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Bonnet Stripes (Wet Application)-image.jpeg  
Old 05-15-2016, 04:52 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Another shot...

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Bonnet Stripes (Wet Application)-image.jpeg  
Old 05-15-2016, 04:53 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
From the boot!