How To Red Bull's Joey Mod Complete **PICTURES & Instructions**

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phxsteele
What is the general consensus about paint for the joey mod? I am ready to do this but want to make sure I have the correct paint. I have used plasti-dip on all of the other chrome on the Mini but wanted to make sure there wouldnt be an issue with the heat.
I don't want to trell you what paint to use but I am not sure I would use Plasti dip...Dont know much but from what I hear it is more costing the sufrace....properly preparing the surface for paint is a mechanical bond. There is also high heat concerns with that...I will reccomend you do some real good homework prior to using that product for this application.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 PM
nysmo240
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn...modify the S14 or modify the R56...modify the S14 or modify the R56...

Thanks for the info Red Bull...it's exactly what I was looking for...

Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
Nice Job! Are you leaving the tint on the outside? I didn't tint mine on the outside because my joey mod made it seem pretty tinted as it was, as no light would be reflected from the inside, and i didn't want to deminish and light output from the xenons with a tint on it-
before:

after

red to match mirrors, calipers, S, and soon time attack on my summer wheels once they are back on and other red accents on car

Also just sprayed the turn signal bulb with the same black lightly to get rid of the amber- still blinks bright and amber!

Nice job! I enjoy following your mods,especially because its a DS/B
--getting my exhaust put on in an hour, i can't wait!!

Are those halogen? I am wondering if I can Joey those with some Xenons....haven't seen those in the xenon fashion to purchase so I guess a mod is next!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
Are those halogen? I am wondering if I can Joey those with some Xenons....haven't seen those in the xenon fashion to purchase so I guess a mod is next!
the lights modded on this thread by "Redbull" are Xenons, ...I unfortunately ordered Halogens as I didn't understand the difference at the time when I ordered my car ...it's my only regret on my car. I can't find Xenons anywhere except from overseas and w/the exchange rates it's way too expensive. I haven't asked my dealer ...yet I am guessing it's going to be around $1k for the upgrade? (even though it was only a $500 upgrade at time of order). arghhh.
I'd love to see some Joey modded halogen's.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c

Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
the lights modded on this thread by "Redbull" are Xenons, ...I unfortunately ordered Halogens as I didn't understand the difference at the time when I ordered my car ...it's my only regret on my car. I can't find Xenons anywhere except from overseas and w/the exchange rates it's way too expensive. I haven't asked my dealer ...yet I am guessing it's going to be around $1k for the upgrade? (even though it was only a $500 upgrade at time of order). arghhh.

Mexico....everything is cheaper in Mexico They have Mini's there so I bet they have cheaper xenon packs than Europe.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
There are a few joey mod pics in my gallery if you're still looking for pics.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
thanks for the photos Oxybluecoop and Toolazyforalogin ...also like the idea of ordering from Mexico ..i'll check into that. Next question, -it as simple as just swapping out the Halogens for Xenons ...meanign just unbolt the halogens and replace w/ xenons? -nothing needed for the computer or anything?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eR1c:

Look at it all carefully. it takea a lot of parts and a lot of work, including some time on the dealer's programming machine. There is even a leveling component that must be installed in the rear of the car, and there are major changes to the wiring harness (like almost a new harness). Ever watch the xenons power up? They kinda level themselves each time -- that's a legal requirement, and a complicated gadget to install.

I looked into it, but the whole thing ran somewhere north of $2500 just for parts. Too high for an old retired guy. My favorite service guy told me that if they did the work, count on something like $4200. Geesh!

I didn't forget the xenons, I just found a leftover 09 that I could get a good price on and I accepted the fact that it didn't have 'em thinking that I could sit down with the parts catalog and make my own. Mucho wrong. I saved $3000 buying the 09, but it would cost way more than that to bring it up to what I would have ordered. Wrong decision on my part -- I should have ordered exactly what I wanted, including the xenons. But -- its mine now so......

Old 04-08-2010, 06:31 AM
willjv
2nd Gear
Hey guys,

I'm trying to use this tutorial but for some reason I am not able to see the pictures that were originally posted.

Do anyone still have them?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 AM
willjv
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Oxybluecoop
This is what i'm looking to do since I do not have the Xenons myself. Did you follow this guy or have a link to a DIY i could use?

thank you,

Old 11-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts
Any tips on remove the chrome globe around the xenon bulb? I havent done an R56 set in years to memory is a little sketchy. I have the light apart with the lens and lower chrome portion ready to paint. Cant remember how you release the globe? Any clues?