Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

[Hawaii] HMMC DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 AM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just woke up, here in metro, it just stopped raining for about 20 min now....it's 7:50

Old 03-26-2006, 10:00 AM
NT2SML
1st Gear
Raining here - darn!

It's continuing to rain pretty constantly here in Aina Haina - just a "piece down the road from Hawaii Kai"....I just PM's Dirk to see if he's heard from Barry.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:53 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
8:50 and it's still coming down in niu valley...i guess we can maybe watch and learn the diy today, like how to do the thermo install and the radiator fluid change, with one or two minis in the garage. then do it ourselves at home later.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:59 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
just talked to eastsidemini...he's already in hi kai heading over to barry's. and he's pretty sure dirk is busy at the moment p/u some breakfast stuff at the market.

so...it sounds like it's still on!

Old 03-26-2006, 11:02 AM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
It's still raining at my place in Hawaii Kai.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Hope you were still able to have your DIY event albeit in the wet.

It's been raining all day in my area. Flash flood warning for the whole island until 930am when I woke this morning.

Yesterday I was driving my MINI around in Kaimuki and Waialae and was hit by some sudden heavy showers which flooded a few roads. Not the best conditions for motoring with a lowered MINI. Today I'll be driving something to handle the standing water better.

More ran forecast through next wednesday.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
DIY or DDFY

--It was raining like Noah's arksville today but a whole bunch of us made it out today. I got up a little late and saw Casey just as he was leaving Hawaii Kai. He liked my NOOB sticker.

We got to see a demo of the M7 thermostat install thanks to Andrew for teaching and Barry for being the guinea pig.

Louis demo'ed the Ipod interface install. Sounds great!

Dirk installed Peter's green stuff pads and fixed Louis's exhaust leak.

Even Keiki got dirty! We've got pictures to prove it! I think I've got some idea for a HMMC calendar.

Thanks to andrew for talking to me about his AGS Air Gain system. Man that thing sounds beautiful. I got goosebumps!

Thanks to everyone who brought water, beer, poke, gatorade, danishes, cream puffs and most importantly starbucks coffee!

Oh yeah thanks Barry for hosting.

It was a pretty good event. It rained like armageddon getting there but it only drizzled a little at Barry's house. Good event, good turnout. Thanks everyone who demo'ed stuff and got dirty.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
I checked mail and stuff really early this morning and then went offline so sorry I didn't get to respond to this post and the PM asking if the DIY was going to happen.

I was a GREAT get together. It was fun too. Met a few new folks and got to BS with old folks.....can't beat that!

Keith, you worked your okole off today - thanks! I thought you were only good for wiping down the underneath of you car! I learn something new about you evertime buddy!

Louis, I'm glad Keith solved your missing bolt. Sorry it fell off man! Sorry we didn't get around to your gauge pod too - that's mean another DIY for your gauges. BTW, thanks for taking apart your dash to show what the iPOD adaptor install is like.

Casey, sorry I forgot the brake light stuff - I was going to stop by Radio Shack after SL yesterday but the DEET wiped me out and I just wanted to get home and take a bath and knock-out.

Peter, hope the trip home was not so bad and you brakes worked like a charm. It was raining a lot from the airport on for me.

Andrew, good job with the termostat DIY. Now hurry up and join HMMC!

Keiki, thanks for stopping by when it was your son's day. And your banging away at the wheel too!

Thanks to all for bringing the goodies (food and drinks) to the DIY. Thanks to Barry (and Dobie) for allowing us to take over their garage.

Now who's ready for another one?!

Originally Posted by pyratio
--It was raining like Noah's arksville today but a whole bunch of us made it out today. I got up a little late and saw Casey just as he was leaving Hawaii Kai. He liked my NOOB sticker.

We got to see a demo of the M7 thermostat install thanks to Andrew for teaching and Barry for being the guinea pig.

Louis demo'ed the Ipod interface install. Sounds great!

Dirk installed Peter's green stuff pads and fixed Louis's exhaust leak.

Even Keiki got dirty! We've got pictures to prove it! I think I've got some idea for a HMMC calendar.

Thanks to andrew for talking to me about his AGS Air Gain system. Man that thing sounds beautiful. I got goosebumps!

Thanks to everyone who brought water, beer, poke, gatorade, danishes, cream puffs and most importantly starbucks coffee!

Oh yeah thanks Barry for hosting.

It was a pretty good event. It rained like armageddon getting there but it only drizzled a little at Barry's house. Good event, good turnout. Thanks everyone who demo'ed stuff and got dirty.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Diy

We had a good turn out today even with the bad rain Thanks for all the great spirit and meet some new friends.

Much mahalo to:
Barry- host, tools and supplies.
Feedback- starbuck and goodies.
Dakine- cream puff I can eat that all day.
Casper- lighting person and a great assistance.
Pratio- great support and very knowledgeable.
Louis- techno guy
and everyone who made it happened.
Lets do it again

Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Blown-Lone-Star
3rd Gear
I wish i could of stayed for the whole thing, I will next time granted someone does not break in to my girlfriends car!!!! I hope everyone had some poke. It sounds like the DIY was a true winner. I hope to see all the new guys, i didnt get a chance to chat with at the next MINI event. Barry, I will get in touch with you about the cooler. Dirk, on the waipio MINI meet up maybe we can do the taillight mod then. see yall next time.
casey.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
I forgot to thank Andrew and Barry for getting rid of my inferior wheel stud bolts - thanks guys! Barry - thanks for lending me your bolts (I have them off now and put aside in a bag).

Peter - I have your bike swivel-head ratchet in my tool bag. Sorry I walked off with it. I'll get it to you the next time I see you (maybe the Saturday meet?).

Old 03-27-2006, 11:31 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
good job, dirk! thanks for all of your hard work planning the event. thanks to barry for hosting. thanks to everyone for showing up!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Group buy for DIY

For those who ordered the SRP group buy two weeks ago, the back order shipment will arrive on 4/12 next week I will contact you.

Kyle, caspermini, groove67.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 AM
pyratio
Next DIY?

--Any diy in April? I've got requests but I'll go last and wrench everyone elses projects first.

--M7 strut tower brace install
--oil (I'll be faster I promise! only cuz I raced her)
--brake fluid change (back to yellow)

Anyone else? Please. please. please.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
IF we don't do an HMMC DIY, you can come over and we can tackle those any time Keith. Only thing is, I don't think you need to change the Super Blue with just one race - but we can bleed the system for you. Let me know when is good for you. erik808 (Erik T.) is coming over on Friday and we are doing his wife's brakes.

--Any diy in April? I've got requests but I'll go last and wrench everyone elses projects first.

--M7 strut tower brace install
--oil (I'll be faster I promise! only cuz I raced her)
--brake fluid change (back to yellow)

Anyone else? Please. please. please.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Latka
5th Gear
I think I really need to join the club. I know I've got a classic Mini, but I hope at least that I can play along in the MINI reindeer games.

What about a Classic DIY session? It's sorta self-serving I know, but at the same time there are folks in the club with WAY more "old car" experience than I have. Would love to tap into that knowledge. I have all the manuals, so the "how to do" shouldn't be a problem.

-Andy

Old 04-12-2006, 08:04 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
i would love to see work being done on a classic.

hey dirk, i can help anyone who wants to install the OEM aux gauge. i figure on our next DIY, i can install that M7 temp thingy...looks great on my desk as a Sci-Fi space station...

Old 04-12-2006, 08:34 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cwlouis
i would love to see work being done on a classic.

hey dirk, i can help anyone who wants to install the OEM aux gauge. i figure on our next DIY, i can install that M7 temp thingy...looks great on my desk as a Sci-Fi space station...
What was the part number of your OEM gauge set? I'll have to check it out at night to see how it looks.

You are becoming the electrical DIY guy yeah? Lucky there's no soldering involved!

You mean thermo thingy right?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
SRP arrived

The back order SRP has arrived. For those who ordered, please contact me asap so we can take care of business. There will be free shipping for the delay. Thanks for being so understanding and patience.

Kyle, Groove67 please contact me asap. (not yet pay)
Caspermini, I need to get the part to you. (paid)

Thank you again.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
What was the part number of your OEM gauge set?

i think it's Part # 82 94 0 393 994

Old 04-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Blown-Lone-Star
3rd Gear
i would like to see the classic mini up close too.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Latka
5th Gear
When is the next HMMC event, Dirk? As long as it's a Saturday I can bring at least the '71...and possibly the '66 Cooper S as well.

(edit) Looks like the Arthitis walk. I'll have to check my schedule - I think our annual certification falls that week, and if I does I get no days off. :( However, if I'm off I would like to be there. My Pop has the beginning stages of rhumatoid (sp?) arthritis.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:51 AM
pyratio
DaKineMINI for President!!!

--You rock DaKineMINI!!! I'd vote for you for President anyday (so long as you'll still be my racing coach). Move over George W.!!!!

This weekend is kinda crazy for me and unfortunately I'm federal so I don't get this Friday off. How do the 22nd, 23rd, 29th, and or 30th look?

Latka? Input on days?

Yeah I think I can hold off of brakes cuz I've still got 6k miles before dealer servicing. I'd just like my "raced oil" out of my Lil'Marie before too long.

Thanks for the offer of a private diy. DKMINI for PRESIDENT!!! Heeheehee! j/k.

Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
IF we don't do an HMMC DIY, you can come over and we can tackle those any time Keith. Only thing is, I don't think you need to change the Super Blue with just one race - but we can bleed the system for you. Let me know when is good for you. erik808 (Erik T.) is coming over on Friday and we are doing his wife's brakes.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:04 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Hmmmmm, you think I can take W? Ah shucks, I wasn't born on U.S. soil so no-can be President.

29th & 30th are not good for me as my daughter has choir performances (Ward & Pearl Ridge). The 23rd I have to golf but 22nd will work for me.

--You rock DaKineMINI!!! I'd vote for you for President anyday (so long as you'll still be my racing coach). Move over George W.!!!!

This weekend is kinda crazy for me and unfortunately I'm federal so I don't get this Friday off. How do the 22nd, 23rd, 29th, and or 30th look?

Latka? Input on days?

Yeah I think I can hold off of brakes cuz I've still got 6k miles before dealer servicing. I'd just like my "raced oil" out of my Lil'Marie before too long.

Thanks for the offer of a private diy. DKMINI for PRESIDENT!!! Heeheehee! j/k.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:26 AM
Latka
5th Gear
I'd be available on the 22nd and 29th. No sundays for me though... I work :(

I'd love to see some of the new MINI DIY stuff too - when we had our car we kept it bone stock - after seeing Dirk and Andrew's MINIs at the track - looks like the parts scene has really taken off!

Quick Reply: [Hawaii] HMMC DIY