North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Hawaii MINI Motoring Club (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/hawaii-mini-motoring-club-78/)
-   -   [Hawaii] HMMC DIY (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/hawaii-mini-motoring-club/62892-hawaii-hmmc-diy.html)

DaKineMINI 03-06-2006 04:22 PM

[Hawaii] HMMC DIY

Originally Posted by bgrpph
Told Keiki DIY at my place on Sunday 3/26 from 9am -noon was fine. Coolant fluids allowed so we can change your coolant.

Sign-up for the next DIY 03/26/06 @ bgrpph's place, Hawaii Kai - 9am ~ noon. Sign up here :

1) bgrpph (Barry)
2) dakinemini (Dirk)
3) kbseto (Kyle)
4) eastsidemini (Andrew)
5) feedback (Peter)
6) blown-lone-star (Casey)
7) pyratio (Keith) --- if it doesn't sprinkle :lol: :wink:
8) cwlouis (Louis)

Anyone else?

[Edit : remember to get all the goodies you need before the DIY!]

pyratio 03-06-2006 04:52 PM

brake fluid after superlap???

--The superlap is on the 25th right? Should I change my brake fluid back to yellow afterwards? Just wondering. I promise I won't get any on the grass. :)

--pyratio

Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
Sign-up for the next DIY 03/26/06 @ bgrpph's place, Hawaii Kai - 9am ~ noon. Sign up here :

1) bgrpph
2) dakinemini

Anyone else?

DaKineMINI 03-06-2006 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by pyratio
--The superlap is on the 25th right? Should I change my brake fluid back to yellow afterwards? Just wondering. I promise I won't get any on the grass. :)

--pyratio

No, no, it'll be good for few more Super Laps. Just have to remember to bleed every so often. Anyways, not sure if brake fluid is on Barry's approved "fluid" list. :lol: So you coming Keith?

DaKineMINI 03-06-2006 10:48 PM

1) bgrpph
2) dakinemini

Anyone else?

1) bgrpph
2) dakinemini
3) keikilee

Also making a list of what you folks might want to do at the DIY. Keiki has suggested iPOD adaptor install, brake pad replacement, and brake light mod. We may also do radiator flush. Anything else?

No own insterested? :confused:

kbseto 03-06-2006 11:37 PM

i shall be there...i'd like to do the 180 thermostat swap, and hopefully do a radiator flush at the same time.

ipod adaptor would be cool, if it'd work with my mini ipod...anybody know if that'd work?

DaKineMINI 03-07-2006 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by kbseto
i shall be there...i'd like to do the 180 thermostat swap, and hopefully do a radiator flush at the same time.

ipod adaptor would be cool, if it'd work with my mini ipod...anybody know if that'd work?

1) bgrpph
2) dakinemini
3) keikilee
4) kbseto
5) eastsidemini

Kyle,

Try plugging your iPOD MINI into one of our adaptors. My iPOD connection is used by my daughter's iPOD NANO (I don't personally have an iPOD :roll: ).

kbseto 03-07-2006 01:37 AM

Kyle,

Try plugging your iPOD MINI into one of our adaptors. My iPOD connection is used by my daughter's iPOD NANO (I don't personally have an iPOD :roll: ).[/quote]

perfect idea...only thing now is i gotta actually download some songs onto my mini ipod before this diy.

FeedBack 03-07-2006 01:43 AM

1) bgrpph
2) dakinemini
3) keikilee
4) kbseto
5) eastsidemini
6) Feedback

Though "one legged", I'm in for Strut Tower Plates and possibly brake pads.

Blown-Lone-Star 03-07-2006 05:48 AM

i should have that weekend off so if i do i will be there. I dont think im gonna do any mods though. I will help and check out all the cool goodies everyone else will have. and if need be i can be the pizza errand boy too:grin: :grin:

pyratio 03-07-2006 10:32 AM

More?

--Hey are there MORE superlaps after this month? I thought this month was the last one? :confused:

Kewel! But yeah I'll be there at the DIY. If I can't get dirty helping out I'll just stoopervise. :lol:

--pyratio

No, no, it'll be good for few more Super Laps. Just have to remember to bleed every so often. Anyways, not sure if brake fluid is on Barry's approved "fluid" list. :lol: So you coming Keith?

Eastsidemini 03-07-2006 10:34 AM

parts

OK diy gang, the SRP and the thermostat are in stock and ready to ship. But I really need the count before ordering it.

This is the deal for the group buy(minimum of 5)
SRP- $100 and will split the shipping cost 5 ways or......:wink:
Thermostat- $40 free shipping (minimum of 5):wink:

Plus state tax of couse:lol:

I can still order the products if we don't meet the group buy minimum but the discount will not be apply.:sad:

cwlouis 03-07-2006 04:08 PM

i'll be there..:thumbsup:

DaKineMINI 03-07-2006 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by cwlouis
i'll be there..:thumbsup:

Hey, you changed your post. :lol: :wink:

DaKineMINI 03-07-2006 04:15 PM

Attention Barry!

1) bgrpph (Barry)
2) dakinemini (Dirk)
3) keikilee (Keiki)
4) kbseto (Kyle)
5) eastsidemini (Andrew)
6) feedback (Peter)
7) blown-lone-star (Casey)
8) pyratio (Keith) --- if it doesn't sprinkle :lol: :wink:
9) cwlouis (Louis)

Anyone else?

[Edit : remember to get all the goodies you need before the DIY!]

Barry,

Are you set on the 9 ~ 12 time? If so, we better start assigning time slots or else we ain't gonna finish. :sly: Unless you are willing to extend 'til like 3PM.

Blown-Lone-Star 03-07-2006 04:35 PM

i have a few questions for yall...... 1. what is so bad about the mushrooming thing? its only like a quarter of an inch or so right? and why does the plate thingy cost so much?

2. tell me more about this thermostat? does it strictly replace the old one?

Warning!:eek2: your answers might sway my thinking on joining in on the group buy!!:nod:

cwlouis 03-07-2006 04:49 PM

Hey, you changed your post. :lol: :wink:

yeah i saw the post later (with pricing)...but is the thermo stuff really needed? and does this mean we also need to do a complete coolent flush as well?:nod:

pyratio 03-07-2006 06:30 PM

thermostat 4 pyratio

--Put me down for 1 thermostat. I may not install it yet (warranty) but I want one. :)

--pyratio

Originally Posted by Eastsidemini
OK diy gang, the SRP and the thermostat are in stock and ready to ship. But I really need the count before ordering it.

This is the deal for the group buy(minimum of 5)
SRP- $100 and will split the shipping cost 5 ways or......:wink:
Thermostat- $40 free shipping (minimum of 5):wink:

Plus state tax of couse:lol:

I can still order the products if we don't meet the group buy minimum but the discount will not be apply.:sad:

pyratio 03-07-2006 06:33 PM

grease monkey extraordinaire

--I'm not coming to install anything I'm just coming to help out and check out Barry's garage. :nod:

--And HEY! I JUST caught that one about the "if it doesn't sprinkle" bit. Haha! You wait Dirk! :mad: j/k. :cool:

--pyratio

Barry,

Are you set on the 9 ~ 12 time? If so, we better start assigning time slots or else we ain't gonna finish. :sly: Unless you are willing to extend 'til like 3PM.

bgrpph 03-07-2006 10:26 PM

We can have the DIY from from 9 till 2pm. My place is just outside Kalama Valley.

Lets start a list on specifics that plan to get done- everyone chime in on what you specifically want to do to your car. we'll then see that we can get all done. No more installs for Kbseto since he's always in the water and never at any track events!! :)
Please bring containers to take your old fluid/coolant home in and enough fresh fluid (don't forget distilled water for coolant changes). Brake bleed are fine-bring container to take the old fluid home in and your own new fluid. I'd prefer no oil changes.
I have 2 jacks, 1 set jack stands, one ramp set, some basic tools, MINI belt tensioner tool, bentley manual, software to read and clear fault codes. Dirk will bring Brian's compressor & some air tools.
NAPA store is in Costco shopping center if we need anything.

DaKineMINI 03-07-2006 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blown-Lone-Star
i have a few questions for yall...... 1. what is so bad about the mushrooming thing? its only like a quarter of an inch or so right? and why does the plate thingy cost so much?

2. tell me more about this thermostat? does it strictly replace the old one?

Warning!:eek2: your answers might sway my thinking on joining in on the group buy!!:nod:

1. Moving everything in the supension up an inch is plenty! :eek2: If you think back to geometry, this raising and cocking of the whole suspension changes the alignment by quite a bit. Small changes (movement) throws the alignment off by a lot - you'll be surprised. It doesn't mean that with mushrooming the alignment can not be set correctly - it'll probably have to be re-set. So what this plate does is keep mushrooming to a minimum; thus, keeping the need to realign to a minimum. For Hawaii, with our POTHOLES, mushrooming can seriously happen - it has on mine. Look at the group buy thread for the price.

2. The thermostat replaces the stock one. What it basically does is start your fan earlier and help keep your engine cooler - cooler is better right? :wink:

DaKineMINI 03-07-2006 11:46 PM

ATTENDEES :
1) bgrpph (Barry) --- DIY coordinator
2) dakinemini (Dirk) --- Brake pad install demonstrator
3) kbseto (Kyle) --- ? (please list what you need to be done)
4) eastsidemini (Andrew) --- m7 Thermostat install demonstrator & Group Buy Guy
5) feedback (Peter) --- brake pads & strut plate
6) blown-lone-star (Casey) --- DIY assistant
7) pyratio (Keith) --- DIY assistant ~ if it doesn't sprinkle :lol: :wink: but really good at wiping things up :lol: :wink:
8) cwlouis (Louis) --- iPOD Adaptor install demonstrator

Thanks to Barry's offer (and Keiki's idea) we have from 9 am ~ 2 pm and we will be able to do the following kinds of things :
a) brake pads change
b) iPOD adaptor install
c) brake fluid change
d) brake light mod
e) radiator flush
f) SC belt change
g) anything else you want to tackle?

Don't forget to bring your needed parts, fluids, containers (for old fluids), etc.

Any more questions we can answer? Let's do it, have some fun, and hopefully learn a thing or two. :thumbsup:

kbseto 03-08-2006 02:13 AM

for me...i plan to have the themostat swapped out, and hopefully do the radiator flush at the same time.

possibly ipod adaptor, if my mini ipod is loaded with songs and it ends up working with a test run on somebody that already has it installed. no biggie with this one, if time is tight, and if the waves look sweet that day.

so what and how much do i need to bring, ie. distilled water and coolant, etc?

Eastsidemini 03-08-2006 02:28 AM

Good answers

Dakinemini
Thanks for answering those question:thumbsup: I couldn't have said it any better.

BTW, the regular pricing on the SRP is $109 + $22 shipping + tax, but with the group buy, the cost of shipping will be divided equally. The pricing for the thermostat is $45 + $7 shipping + tax.

Group buy price:
SRP $100 + tax + divided shipping
Thermostat $40 + tax free shipping
This only apply for the group buy of 5 each minimum.

In order to have it here before the DIY session, the dead line is this Sunday the 12th. Hope all of you will take adventage of this. Thanks.

FeedBack 03-08-2006 11:36 AM

I'm in for:

Strut Tower Plates
Greenstuff Brake pads

My biggest challenge is that I'm temporarily "crippled"... I don't want my being on crutches impeding the schedule for the day.

Also... what tools should I bring?

Blown-Lone-Star 03-08-2006 01:21 PM

im not going to install anything into my car but i want to help others install their stuff.