Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

[Hawaii] Status of HMMC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:24 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Hawaii] Status of HMMC?

With the departure of Pres. Keiki, can we get an update on the club? Who are the officers now? Just wondering.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:01 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
With the departure of Pres. Keiki, can we get an update on the club? Who are the officers now? Just wondering.
Kohu has all the HMMC documents and will make an announcement shortly.
Are you nominating yourself for any office???

We are fixin to pick up the flag and carry on.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:51 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
Amen to that brother! Rock and Roll!

Wish I could join you folks this weekend unfortunately I have to follow the Miss China Town court through China Town all day Saturday and take pictures!

Have a good autocross event!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 01-27-2005, 12:15 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
uhhhmmmm...i think i'd rather follow the miss chinatown court and take pics all day too.

unfortunately, i've got a keiki luau saturday at that chinese mandarin restaurant across old stadium park. maybe the court will parade thru moilili too?

Old 01-27-2005, 10:14 AM
JCW04
4th Gear
It was a hard choice. One of the few times my MINI lost out!

Aloha folks!

JCW04

Old 01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
i can't wait to hear what's going on with HMMC. I've been without a computer for two weeks now (my MAC is broken, and I'm too lazy to drop it off to get fixed) and feel pretty isolated from the MINI world.

I think whatever changes are being made will be good for the members.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:01 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
What's the latest?

It's been a while since this topic has come up so what's the latest and the greatest?

Old 06-12-2005, 09:40 AM
minihune
It's been a while since this topic has come up so what's the latest and the greatest?
We will be discussing this at the Pearl Car Show today- Join us- All day long, free and lots of actitivities. At least four MINIs to enter the show.

First on the list is an election- we have at least four people for officers and JCW04 will be events coordinator. Next, the formal vote- via in person meeting or email.

Lots of summer actitivies already on the calendar- more to come.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
I think an actual meeting needs to be called where these items are discussed and a vote actually takes place. All members should be invited and encouraged to attend. Those who are unable to make it, should receive the minutes and have an opportunity to vote via mail.

If the club is unable to get things straight by end of June, I propose we stop accepting new members and phase out the club. We can still have HMMC and activities, but if we can't provide our members with $20 value, we need to stop accepting their money.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:23 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
I still say merge with the BMW car club of Hawaii- if they're still willing.

They have officers, meetings, events, track days and are enthusiastic about their cars. You also get a copy of Roundel which is worth the membership price alone and does have MINI items.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
We will be discussing this at the Pearl Car Show today- Join us- All day long, free and lots of actitivities. At least four MINIs to enter the show.

First on the list is an election- we have at least four people for officers and JCW04 will be events coordinator. Next, the formal vote- via in person meeting or email.

Lots of summer actitivies already on the calendar- more to come.
minihune,

Who are the "we" you are referencing? You mean you have four people for the four officer positions and you are eventually going to have a "formal" vote on that? You mean a "yay" or "nay" kind of vote?

I am surprised that no one else is wondering what is going on with the club. I think I posted this thread in January and you posted that an announcement would be made shortly. Did I miss the announcement or is the "meeting" you had today in preparation for the announcement?

Originally Posted by keikilee
I think an actual meeting needs to be called where these items are discussed and a vote actually takes place. All members should be invited and encouraged to attend. Those who are unable to make it, should receive the minutes and have an opportunity to vote via mail.

If the club is unable to get things straight by end of June, I propose we stop accepting new members and phase out the club. We can still have HMMC and activities, but if we can't provide our members with $20 value, we need to stop accepting their money.
keikilee,

I agree with what you are saying wholeheartedly. Why don't you rise once again and run the club? :smile: Seems your renewed involvement has awakened the website again and even the small events you bring-up are a welcome sign that the club still has a pulse.

I am really surprised that none of the other club members (total of 70 right?) aren't wondering what happened to the club; once again, maybe it's only me who is lost though.

Dirk M.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:33 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
bgrpph - There was talk at one point for the MINIs to join BMWCCH, however, no invitation was ever made from their side. That is definately an option, but personally, we're like a totally different breed of people. HMMC members seem to expect different things out of a club...they want to socialize and do community events and I'm not sure BMWCCH would be able to provide the kind of experience they are looking for. There are many members, including yourself, that are perfect fits for BMWCCH because of the type of events they put out (endless summer tours and driving school events). If/When HMMC calls a members meeting, I'll definitely bring it up and see what kind of response we get. I would love to join a club that's established so that we could all just sit back and relax!

dakineMINI - Part of me is sick for ever leaving the club in the first place, but I was 15 minutes from burning out. I had just so many things going on with work and personal life that I couldn't handle the responsibility of the club. things have since changed, however, I haven't been asked to come back and run the club again. STILL, though, whether or not I am running the club, as the founder, I took on the responsibility of seeing this club succeed. If the club fails, that is a reflection on me and I WILL NOT let that happen. If I have to shut this club down and create something FREE and informal, I will and have the power to do so. The current problem is NOT the people who are currently sitting on the board, but the fact that we are all busy and have yet to find the best way to deal with and delegate responsibility. oh, and, if I rise again, I'm bringing you with me!

Old 06-12-2005, 11:30 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
yeah, that's the kine enthusiasm i like to hear/see! nothing against the bmw folks, but i agree that most of the mini owners are seeking a different kind of club experience than that offerred by the bmwcch. but at the same time, if things do go downhill, that is something that we may hafta consider to stay alive. as far as the dues issue, that's a tough one. but i also agree if there's no real benefit for club members to pay annual dues, it's gonna be hard to justify it. and certainly a free and informal club where we just cruise and meet up occasionally is better than nothing.

keiki, you might gotta infuse some enthusiasm into our club. keep coming up with ideas and events and stuff. you have all of my support to help our club stay around.

so....when's the next event/gathering? 4th of july? how's about a hike?

Old 06-13-2005, 01:32 AM
keikilee
5th Gear
hey thanks kbseto! Yah, I'd like to plan a casual meet, probably the same weekend as the pulley party. We gotta do something fun for those who aren't going to be spending all of their money on upgrades.

a hike has been brought up many times, but since I don't know anything about leading a hike I have to wait for someone to volunteer to help choose a trail and lead us. Would you be able to help? If so, I'll get the word out. Just let me know!!!

Old 06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
minihune
minihune,

Who are the "we" you are referencing?
The "latest and greatest" was brought up yesterday at the Pearl car show (quite a few cars there). Everyone was invited to attend. "We" is all those who were in attendance- I would have enjoyed seeing more members- yourself, kbseto, bgrpph, southseasadie (on a trip?), JCW04 (in Wash DC for a meeting), and others.

As it were, it was Kohu and full family, me, and Keikilee and son. I did get to talk to Barry "tweety" and a few more MINI owners about the upcoming events this summer.

The club needs YOUR help- will you volunteer? About the vote. I thought the vote was going to happen at the end of 2004. It didn't, so now it needs to be done. This weekend is the Home and Garden Show (weekend of the 20th), what about June 26th sunday? Lets have a meeting- you name the location and lets vote. Online voting can be done the week before and ending on June 26th. Kohu has the names of those who agreed to volunteer so far. There is much to be done.

About not having HMMC more visible- my bad. Although I was able to talk to people we should have had a banner, brochures, applications as such right out there. That's why your help is "invited and needed".

Our last informal "post event" meeting was in May after the Arthritis Foundation walk. About 12 of us got together for breakfast at Anna Millers to discuss ideas about HMMC. Ideas included: community service, supporting charities, summer events, MINI at the Moana in August, DIY, needing to vote for officers, doing a trip to the outer islands using the super ferry in 2006, and going for a hike at Diamond head crater this summer.

So if you want to see more done please do contact Keikilee so she knows that you are ready, willing, and able to assist.

So how does a vote on Sunday June 26th look? Location(Kakaako park)? Time? 10am or 11am?

Last edited by minihune; 06-13-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:07 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
The "latest and greatest" was brought up yesterday at the Pearl car show (quite a few cars there). Everyone was invited to attend. "We" is all those who were in attendance- I would have enjoyed seeing more members- yourself, kbseto, bgrpph, southseasadie (on a trip?), JCW04 (in Wash DC for a meeting), and others.
Yeah we know the event was an 'open' event and all were invited but I think more would have attended had we known it was going to be an HMMC event where the future of the club was going to be discussed. If you really want concerned folks to show-up, you HAVE to give us more than a few hours notice for us to plan, at least for me. You posted the following at 6:40 am on the day of the event! >>>
So will you be posting what was discussed/brought-up? Or were you only privy to the information if you attended the event? Seriously Brad, I am not trying to cause any problems or be a pain in the okole - I am still just wondering what is going on (as I was when I posed the question on Jan. 25th.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:56 PM
minihune
Yeah we know the event was an 'open' event and all were invited but I think more would have attended had we known it was going to be an HMMC event where the future of the club was going to be discussed. If you really want concerned folks to show-up, you HAVE to give us more than a few hours notice for us to plan, at least for me. You posted the following at 6:40 am on the day of the event! >>>

So will you be posting what was discussed/brought-up? Or were you only privy to the information if you attended the event? Seriously Brad, I am not trying to cause any problems or be a pain in the okole - I am still just wondering what is going on (as I was when I posed the question on Jan. 25th.
On the short notice- sorry. Will try to do better. Been very busy the last month.
Maybe the HMMC site is a good place to also check on possible events for the future.
If more of us were able to go to the Petwalk we could have met there as well and probably I would have recommended that had we not had two events at the same time.

Main thing for now is-
All those that want to volunteer to help need to offer their assistance to the club-
I propose a June 26th vote deadline for deciding on officers so that we can go forward.
Are there any other suggestions on date, time, or location so that HMMC members can attend?

Old 06-13-2005, 08:53 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
Sorry...June 26th is VERY bad for me as I'll be ending my camping trip that day (and my boss, i mean son, will NOT let me flake out on this trip). How about July 2nd - Brown Bag Lunch at Tantalus or Kakaako? Or maybe the dealership will allow us to use their space after-hours for a meeting.

I really don't have any other suggestions on time/place...but what we NEED to do is send an announcement via email AND regular mail to the membership well in advance. We also need to allow for those who are NOT able to attend the scheduled meeting to read the minutes and vote via mail.

With that said, agenda items must be collected and an agenda sent out before the meeting.

We also need to remember that NAM is a resource for the members, but only a very small fraction of them read the threads regularly. I would say less than 10%. If we are to post an invitation for official club business, it needs to be done through email and regular mail (many members do not have email).

minihune - get in touch with the people who said they are willing to volunteer and see if they can meet on 7/1 or 7/2 or 7/3....if not, find a good day for them. Please also let us know what it is that they said they are willing to do to support the club.

I appreciate everyone's efforts in trying to keep the club up and running. I also appreciate DaKineMINIs concerns and its healthy for the club that they are voiced openly.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:05 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
bgrpph - There was talk at one point for the MINIs to join BMWCCH, however, no invitation was ever made from their side. That is definately an option, but personally, we're like a totally different breed of people. HMMC members seem to expect different things out of a club...they want to socialize and do community events and I'm not sure BMWCCH would be able to provide the kind of experience they are looking for. There are many members, including yourself, that are perfect fits for BMWCCH because of the type of events they put out (endless summer tours and driving school events). If/When HMMC calls a members meeting, I'll definitely bring it up and see what kind of response we get. I would love to join a club that's established so that we could all just sit back and relax!
If anyone with a MINI wants to join BMWCCH, they are free to join. Actually, car ownership is not a pre-requisite of BMWCCA or BMWCCH. You are right about our types of events. We are more geared towards track and driving events. We also have an emphasis on DIYs where we are modding or repairing cars.

HOWEVER, as a result of input from other club members, we are doing more social gatherings. These are typically at Outrigger Canoe Club as the guest of one of our members.

There will be a club dinner in July and a last minute event popped up last week. There will be a beer tasting with heavy pupus at OCC on June 22. To do so, you would have to RSVP to Laurel or Charlie Schuster @ 732-6770 by tomorrow night. For more info, go to www.bmwccahawaii.com.

If any of you do decide to join BMWCCH, your input in the social/community events would be appreciated. In the past I did a Food Bank Drive, but our current President opted not continue it.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 AM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
On the short notice- sorry. Will try to do better. Been very busy the last month.
Maybe the HMMC site is a good place to also check on possible events for the future.
If more of us were able to go to the Petwalk we could have met there as well and probably I would have recommended that had we not had two events at the same time.

Main thing for now is-
All those that want to volunteer to help need to offer their assistance to the club-
I propose a June 26th vote deadline for deciding on officers so that we can go forward.
Are there any other suggestions on date, time, or location so that HMMC members can attend?
Since June 26th is bad for Keiki, I can do July 2 or 3d. We really need to get together so that you all could see who wished to be active, especially as volunteers, in the club, so that we know how much support we'll have in coordinating events.

I know I told you all this before, I'm willing to help out in any way possible! I've looked forward to owing a MINI for SO long, and the HMMC is the best way to get togethe with people who have the same passion! I don't think we should merge with the BMW group, though, because we don't own BMWs

Old 06-14-2005, 12:16 PM
minihune
Finding a good date!

OK we have some bad dates so far-
June 26th is out- Bad for Keikilee
July 3 is out- SCCA solo II day

I suggest that Saturday July 2nd about lunchtime- bring your own
and Have a vote for officers. Roundtop park or Kakaako are both good sites-
More space at Kakaako (passing showers likely) and more view and fair amount of space with a nice drive down at Roundtop.

Keikilee-
Thanks for your comments.

Everyone else-
Keep the ideas and comments flowing- lets hear from you- and see you at the next meeting for the vote! Great job everyone.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:08 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
Aloha folks!-

I'm in Emmitsburg right now. 90-degrees and 85% humidity, it bites!

The July dates look good. I'm just happy for the opportunity to get together and talk club issues.

Oh by the way, just a note on the "value" of club membership. In the last year I have saved more than $200.00 on parts and accessory's from MoH by flashing my club card and getting the discount.

HMMC is the best investment I have made in long time with a GREAT return value!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 06-14-2005, 09:45 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW04
Oh by the way, just a note on the "value" of club membership. In the last year I have saved more than $200.00 on parts and accessory's from MoH by flashing my club card and getting the discount.

HMMC is the best investment I have made in long time with a GREAT return value!
Ohhhh...i'm so glad to hear it!

Old 06-14-2005, 09:48 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
Ok, July 2nd during lunch is fine. Brown-bag (bring your own) at Kaka`ako. I will send out an email to the membership.

Please post your agenda items here.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 06-14-2005, 10:53 PM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
Ok, July 2nd during lunch is fine. Brown-bag (bring your own) at Kaka`ako. I will send out an email to the membership.

Please post your agenda items here.

THANKS EVERYONE!
i have an agenda item Let's look into a mod that consists of an alarm to alert OTHER cars that there's a MINI in the vicinity...so they don;t hit us...or better yet, how about a forcefield machine thingie...

edited to add - where is this park??

Quick Reply: [Hawaii] Status of HMMC?