H Stock Tires for Slush Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:02 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for Slush Series

Hey guys - new member here from up in the Great White North! I am moving classes this year as I will no longer be auto x'ing with our BMW. That's what the Mini is for now.

I was just looking for opinions on what tires other people run over the winter. We can get snow on the course and temps can also get down to freezing as well. Basically we have a nice mixed bag of weather over the winter.

I had a separate set of summer tires and snow tires for the BMW but i would like to run an all season over the winter on the Mini as I was not happy with the snow tires performance. This will be only my second season racing, so I am still learning.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're confusing me, the Slush Season is what we call the winter autocrosses down here. (I've never seen slush or rain, it was cold once.) Usually when the best weather is.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
You're confusing me, the Slush Season is what we call the winter autocrosses down here. (I've never seen slush or rain, it was cold once.) Usually when the best weather is.
I live in Canada, so we get slush sometimes on our courses, lots of rain, and some icy days.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
i really like the contintental DWS if you don't need a dedicated winter setup. still one of the top all seasons as far as handling the snow, really impressed with them

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Alex at TireRack should be able to give you a better educated guess on autocrossing with a cold weather tire. You are the first I ever heard of running in slush or snow.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
i really like the contintental DWS if you don't need a dedicated winter setup. still one of the top all seasons as far as handling the snow, really impressed with them
That is one of the tires I was looking at. The DW is also supposed to be a good rain tire but it isn't an all season.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both the Conti DW and DWS are very good tires, we used them as our street tires. I've used the DW as our wet autocross tires as well. If it were wet and less than 40°F I'd put the DWS on for autocross. I've used the DWS down to about freezing in the dry (as cold as it ever gets here) on the street, and they worked well, never seen snow. The DWS are supposed to be pretty good in snow.

If its dry and above 40°F I'd use our regular Dunlop ZII for autocross.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the replies guys! Looks like the wife wants snow tires on the car for trips up to the ski hill. So I guess I will start looking for a 2nd set of rims for some winter tires and just wear out the tires on the car now and get a dedicated set of tires for auto x in the spring.