Looking into purchasing GP2...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Exclamation Looking into purchasing GP2...

Found a low mileage JCW GP2 several hundred miles away and I'm currently researching the car, which is being sold by an Audi dealership.

It's missing a few of the decals (roof, ring around hood scoop, and side decals) and I've already told the dealer about this, but the car otherwise seems intact and clean, and as it should be for only having ~3200 miles. Stock Kumho V700s have been replaced with Advan Neova AD08s, which is a plus in my book, and it appears to have OE Mini carbon fiber mirror caps, which I like as well.

Is there anything I should look out for in particular? I'm actually looking to trade/sell my 2013 GTI and jump into the GP2 if the fates align properly. I'm going to be having a friend of mine thoroughly check the car out in person for any apparent bodywork or defects later this week.

I've also already reached out to see if there's any service history on the car whatsoever, and the Carfax checks out, too.

I appreciate any advice or pointers that can be given. I'm already familiar with the quirks of Mini ownership, so no need to warn me on those.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:43 PM
TimB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the quality of the motor oil. You'd be surprised if the car was run hard how quickly the oil will begin to break down. I'm willing to bet you'll be looking at the factory oil.

You may quickly realize that many GP2 owners, myself included, have ditched a lot of the decals for a cleaner look. New delivery GP2's came with an extra set or two of numbers but no extra roof, hood or side decals. I removed my door and roof decals after about three months.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Thanks, Tim.

With 3397 miles, I'd expect factory fill still. Just had dealer check, and OE red mirror caps and extra decals are included in the car, actually.

The decals don't actually mean a lot to me, but it's my negotiation stance I've taken as a 'Mini Aficionado.'

I'd actually take them off, too.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd check the coil overs to see if they have been lowered. Not saying that is a bad sign, but would be worthwhile having a look. Also just worthwhile having a look to make sure they are clean and not leaking at all.

Also look underneath the front splitter to see if that has a lot of gravel rash. It is really easy to scrape that. Also look at the front undertray for any damage.

Have a look at the front brake pads. If they are tracked with the oem pads they wear quite quickly.

Otherwise it is just like any other mini really!

EDIT : check to see that the 2x adjusting spanners for the coilovers are in the tool kit in the back. Also there should be a specific GP user manual in addition to the standard ones

Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Robbo, you mean the tool/jack kit under the cargo floor in the rear? Good point, I knew the car came with spanners for the coilovers, but good reminder to double-check.

I might have a nearby Mini dealer do a PPI for me if the dealership can get to where I want to be on pricing. Also have a fellow car-guy buddy of mine in the area where the car's being sold who can put some eyeball on it for me. I'll have him check those areas.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Stiv
2nd Gear
Ppi will give you peace of mind and perhaps better negotiation if things are found. If you can get a mini dealer to do it even better. Replacing the front spoiler is $520 in oz land so robbo is right in checking it's not damaged or anything else under the car. If you get it you will love it, best of luck.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:22 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The GP2 is the best of the breed. Look it over and drive it, should be like new with those miles. Pricing on these cars doesn't make sense to me, but I hope the stars align for you. I do think you'll miss the GTI though, superior interior and all.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Well, car's located 600 miles away from me, so it's tough for me to do a test drive. Luckily I have a trusted accomplice in this.

I might miss the superior interior, but dem Recaros, doe. Also, I can always come back to the GTI, but the GP is a once-in-a-lifetime ownership opportunity.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
You're right. I prefer the R56 to the new Mini, and rarity makes the GP2 even more appealing. I just can't stomach the premium over the S models.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Stiv
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zrickety
You're right. I prefer the R56 to the new Mini, and rarity makes the GP2 even more appealing. I just can't stomach the premium over the S models.

The golf gti for everyday use is fantastic and a better all rounder. You will miss some of the creature comforts, some of the time. The gp is the most exciting drive out of all the cars I've ever driven, it makes you feel alive each and everytime you drive it with bucket loads of laughs. I still need to try a Porsche cayman s. The second best car I've driven is a jcw. All minis are fantastic, if money isn't an issue then the gp is the best drive of them all.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 PM
TunedGP
2nd Gear
Mine is for sale with 10k miles. Asking $32k.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Zillon, good luck in your search and hope it works out. We have a lot of GP owners in the area (I'm not far from you) if you have any questions

You can get service history from any of the local MINI dealers. Just get the VIN (last 7 digits) and politely ask one of the service advisors to look it up. At a minimum the car should have had an oil change earlier this year. The cars were built in January 2013 and were one year old by January 2014 and due for a free change under the Maintenance Plan. If it wasn't done, no biggie you can always have it done by a MINI dealer when you receive the car.

I assume the unique roof # sticker is in the car when you said they found some vinyl. Doubt that it is the full graphics package sitting in there.

Also, the GP2 comes with unique floor mats - black with a red border. And a supplemental GP2 owners manual.

The rest has already been covered. Hope this helps.

in my opinion, you won't miss any of the creature comforts. The GP (2006 and 2013) makes up for that in so many other ways.

Last edited by JackMac; 06-24-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
The only creature comfort I'd miss from the GTI would be heated seats and bluetooth, and the GP already has both, so I'm good.

Appreciate the tips and well wishes. Still in negotiation with the dealer as of tonight; if they can hit my numbers tonight, I'll be putting a deposit down.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Still in negotiations, but ever so close.

I did have a contact at a local Mini dealer pull the service history, and aside from the original purchase, it was nonexistant.

So, that's good... no warranty work, at least. Will be getting an oil change ASAP upon arriving home, though, should I get it.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Stiv
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
Still in negotiations, but ever so close.

I did have a contact at a local Mini dealer pull the service history, and aside from the original purchase, it was nonexistant.

So, that's good... no warranty work, at least. Will be getting an oil change ASAP upon arriving home, though, should I get it.

I'm not sure if I understand your statement or question? Your getting an oil change upon arriving home, but asking if you should get it? You know your getting it. Enjoy it

Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM
etl330
2nd Gear
Mini of Southampton had one with less than 1000 miles about a month ago. Not sure if they still have it. Ask to speak to Mark Wyatt.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by stevena
I'm not sure if I understand your statement or question? Your getting an oil change upon arriving home, but asking if you should get it? You know your getting it. Enjoy it

No no, I mean, should I buy the car, and bring it home, it'll be getting fresh fill up of the slippery viscous stuff.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Let's just say that the dealer's set the car aside, just waiting to hear back from the bank right now.

I'll be heading out there next weekend to pick her up as long as all goes smoothly from here.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Awesome, hope you get it and bring back some pics.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zrickety
Awesome, hope you get it and bring back some pics.
Don't worry, it'll be a roadtrip of epic proportion with full photo documentation.

I'm so incredibly excited to do this next week, getting through the 4-day workweek is going to be horrible.

Oh, I put a deposit down today.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Just got off the phone with the dealer, we're all set. Had a couple 'snafus' earlier, but everything's all smoothed out now.

GP #0173, soon to be mine. Time to go sell some GTI parts.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats the GP2 is great, I love mine.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Damon114
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats also I have had mine for about 3 weeks and absolutely love my GP!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Congrats the GP2 is great, I love mine.
Originally Posted by Damon114
Congrats also I have had mine for about 3 weeks and absolutely love my GP!
Thanks guys.

Really excited about picking this up and joining the owner's club at last.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Stiv
2nd Gear
Congrats dude, your very lucky as yours is run in too. I still have 1500km till I can drive it like I stole it.

Quick Reply: Looking into purchasing GP2...