GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Buying a MCS JCW w/ GP Kit Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:34 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qwertmoneky
I just cant believe that its only a few ponies over stock JCW and still bearly over 30k. I have a 2005 MCSa w/o JCW and it was over 30k. I dont have the nav or chrono pack. Nothing fancy.
I priced up a similar specced JCW and it was going to cost me a few thousand more than the GP.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LMB
Well I beg to differ, I think 400 cars for the whole of the united states is pretty damn rare. But I am not foolish enough to think I will actually make money from this car, however I bet over a stock JCW when time comes to sell I will loose less.
Blasphemer, planning on seeling your MINI. (My flame suit is on, I'm a fanatic) I just can veiw these wonderful works of art and engineering marvels as mere investments, there is far more to it than that.

Much has to do with the another manufacturers commercial, "At what point does a car become more than just a car?"

Old 05-05-2006, 07:16 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LMB
Well I beg to differ, I think 400 cars for the whole of the united states is pretty damn rare. But I am not foolish enough to think I will actually make money from this car, however I bet over a stock JCW when time comes to sell I will loose less.
Its all a matter of perspective. Just watch Barret-Jackson sometime and you will see rare (albeit garage queesns as someone pointed out) cars. Retain value over a "stock" JCW? Hard to tell. That depends on whether or not they actually sell vice sitting in lots. If anyone can substantiate huge lines of depositors waiting for a car, then maybe. Just dont see that happening yet.

Time will tell. I wish you best in your new acquisiton

Old 05-05-2006, 07:16 PM
sideburns
1st Gear
No one has really addressed potenial dealer mark-up on the GP. If it's true that each U.S. dealer will get only two GP's, the mark-up could be BIG. I talked to one dealer in Southern California and I suggested a possible $5,000 mark-up. The salesman laughed and said, "A lot more than that". I said $10,000? and he said, "That sounds about right"!!! In the USA, "capitalism" rears it's ugle head - "whatever the market will bear".

Old 05-05-2006, 07:19 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sideburns
No one has really addressed potenial dealer mark-up on the GP. If it's true that each U.S. dealer will get only two GP's,
Try 5. 420/80 dealers. See motoringfile.com for more details. Lots of info there

Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Retain value over a "stock" JCW? Hard to tell. That depends on whether or not they actually sell vice sitting in lots. If anyone can substantiate huge lines of depositors waiting for a car, then maybe. Just dont see that happening yet.
My dealer have sold all their allocation as have four other dealerships in my area. If that's anything to go by take up has been good.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
I second that! But of course with no back seat, I can't claim much! The GP is certainly controversial, and hey if it lights your fire, then nothing should stop you from owning a really cool car! After all it's still a MINI.

FWIW, I saw a very sweet pearl white MINI this weekend--the Cosworth/M7 MINI. That thing sounded and looked awesome--and was only $60K plus or minus something ......

Richard

Originally Posted by Bar10girl
Good for you!!! Now the question is: Who's GP is it? Yours or your wife's? Or are both the MINIs yours?? LOL. I can't wait till you get it. (I'm calling shot-gun right NOW!!)

Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 PM
MJO MINI
2nd Gear
Wow $60k! That is more than I can afford. As for the MJO MINI that will always be OUR car together (thus the MJO in the name) but the GP will be my car and I don't plan on doing any mods on it at all. I did all my modding to cars when I was younger and it can be fun but also very expensive, time consuming and not to mention the voiding of the warranty. So I view this as a rare opportunity to buy a great car, with wonderful brand loyalty (this will be our second MINI in less than 1 year) and with top of the line rarity and horsepower that keeps the factory warranty. No car is ever an investment financially but it is a car I could keep for a decade or longer. I have a 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo that I had modded and placed in Sport Compact Car Magazine back in 1999. I love the small displacement, forced induction, hatchback cars that handle well and deliver the power to weight ratio that turns heads. The GP will definately be a great driver's car for me.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:36 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
well I dont think anybody is going to buy that car in hopes of the price goes up and they sell for profit. I think its the fact that out of thousands of mini, they are part of the 415 Club and the more that crash and some will unfortunatly, the more rare they become.

Having said that, we cannot determin the value now. When normal cars like the cuda and a 69 Shelby Stang were made, they werent produced with the idea of "hey, this car is gonna be worth $50k in mind condition in 2006". It was more just the car of its time that grew on people for X reasons.

Its like the original Mini's are selling more now then when they were 1st made but nobody made them 40 years ago with the mind set of "hey, were making a collectors item"

Old 05-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Jayde
3rd Gear
The dealer in Oklahoma will be getting 3, it all depends on how many cars you push out... Some will get up to 7, some will get less than 3...

As for the mark-up, $10k seems quite a bit high... I imagine those cars will sit on their lot for a while (recap of the MCS40)... We will be selling ours for $2500 over to residents of OK and $5k to non-residents.

My father is purchasing one, so I am very excited!!

Old 05-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Maria@Patrick
Neutral
Fantastic, you must of been one one of the first in line for the GP in your area.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Jayde
3rd Gear
Yeah, we have 2 people that are committed to the car (my dad being one of them), but a list of about 8, so we will see how that goes!! But we are also only getting 3 cars... So who knows!!

Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LMB
The Spoiler won't add much weight as it's CF.
Whoa! I didnt know that JC Whitney made CF spoilers! Jimbo the anti-GP

(moderator why is this thread in the 2007 MINI Talk section when it's a 2006 model?)

Old 05-07-2006, 07:56 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Whoa! I didnt know that JC Whitney made CF spoilers! Jimbo the anti-GP
Anti-GP? How pathetic.....

Old 05-13-2006, 11:36 AM
vazquezgordo
3rd Gear
GP Kit to Puerto Rico

I just put down the deposit for a GP in Puerto Rico. Out of the 415 that are coming to USA, 3 will come down here. It is not as expensive as other JCW because of its accesories limitations. In the end you are buying exclusivity. In the end, anyone that has a Mini should consider himself part of an elite. The GP owners could be considered like the Marines (the few, the proud).

Old 05-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Congratulations! You won't meet your car coming down the road every day!

Originally Posted by vazquezgordo
I just put down the deposit for a GP in Puerto Rico. Out of the 415 that are coming to USA, 3 will come down here. It is not as expensive as other JCW because of its accesories limitations. In the end you are buying exclusivity. In the end, anyone that has a Mini should consider himself part of an elite. The GP owners could be considered like the Marines (the few, the proud).

Old 05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
jimskater
3rd Gear
add me to the list!!!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:14 AM
MJO MINI
2nd Gear
Congrats jimskater! Welcome to the few and the proud!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:19 AM
jimskater
3rd Gear
Thanks, MJO.

BTW--MINI USA has opened up registration at www.minitakesthestates.com

Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 AM
minibot
3rd Gear
I talked to NW MINI a couple weeks ago, and they already have four of their GPs spoken for. I would like one as well, but I just got Miles in October, and the SO would probably kill me if I got another so soon.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 AM
chopper
1st Gear
This is my first post and I hope I've made the right decision in buying a 06 MCS JCW, but I'm alittle concerned when I see people get negative on someone for their purchase. I personally hope they sell every GP they offer (not at ripoff markups) as this will keep people interested in these cars. Kidding is great but lets keep in mind that we don't what people getiing a negative view of Mini owners. I'm 54 years old ond this will be my 58th automobile since I was 16. No I didn't come from a rich family, I've just spent much of my resources on cars. Unfortunately I 've let several get away from me over the year that now have outrageous prices. GP sales mean more MINIS in the USA and that will make it better for all of us. While no car is perfect, we still need stay objective. Also I actually owned a Pinto in Hawaii 30 years ago and it never left me walking, but neither did my 930 Turbo.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:03 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chopper,
Congratulations and welcome to the MINI family.
Sadly there's always a couple of people that have negative things to say - there was one (in)famous guy that used to post very critically on MotoringFile whenever sales figures were announced, complaining that his unique car was becoming too common ... never mind that more people were getting to share in the enjoyment he was experiencing.

The MINI is a fabulous car to drive; it doesn't suit everyone and it's only available in limited numbers due to the factory size - but I hope everyone that wants to drive one gets to do so!

Old 06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
newbs49
Banned
LMB
Are you getting your car in NJ at the GP outing then going to LRP for the race. This will be my third MINI and I will pick it up in NJ at the end of MINI takes the states. How many people are getting cars in NJ?

Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are any of you Lucky GP owners going to take delivery at the Monterey Races?
BTW congratulations on your purchases, I for one am Jealous....LOL
Please do post pics when you acquire them....

Old 06-20-2006, 01:38 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LMB
Anti-GP? How pathetic.....
Hey now that's the perfect one-word descriptor for GP that us anti-GP'ers have been searching for: pathetic! (as in MINI's *pathetic* attempt to come up with something unique to end gen1 with.)
Brilliant! Thanks LMB! Your buddy, 'quenz

Quick Reply: Buying a MCS JCW w/ GP Kit Car