GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

NEW GP Intercooler Diverter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
NEW GP Intercooler Diverter

You may have already seen this, but thought I'd post it here so you could respond if needed.

Way Motor Works
has again partnered up with DDMworks to develop another fantastic part for your MINI.

MINI Cooper S GP Intercooler Diverter

Got a MINI Cooper S GP JCW R53? Or just a GP intercooler on your R53? Now we finally have a better intercooler diverter for you. The stock GP intercooler diverter is pretty sad, it actually covers the additional 2 rows and doesn't catch air very well. So seeing this problem and that the stock cover costs over $200 Way Motor Works combined forces with DDMworks to design a larger diverter that would catch more air, be more efficent, look better and cost less. So after months of work here it is.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
And just in time for my appointment tomorrow.....!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 PM
It Works
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might end up being my first GP mod!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 AM
GP0297
1st Gear
SWEET!!! is this the only GP diverter available....

do we have other options, i seen others but i dont think it will fit the GP intercooler.....

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Sexay!!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Yes this is the only aftermarket diverter that will fit the GP intercooler.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey I was wondering what the size of the gp IC is vs the alta classic ? The gp is slightly smaller correct ?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Yes the GP intercooler is thinner than the Alta, and almost as wide but the GP is much lighter.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I am sure its better. I just asked because I have an alta without a diverter. I was just wondering if I could make this fit onto it with a lil cutting and etc.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
Thanks, Wayland and team, for bringing this to market. I am really looking forward to getting it installed on my GP next week!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 PM
mrwilson
2nd Gear
This looks pretty awesome...good on ya for keeping the $ down. Now on my to do list.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Way
Thanks for helping to bring this to market. Could you please give us some data on what the performance benefit would be from this diverter vs stock. I'm sure that a dyno would not show any difference, but their are various means of doing comparisons on the real road.
Thanks for sharing, Steve

Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
I'm going to just say it, we have no back to back data. Testing a part like a diverter is hard to log info. What needs to be done on the say day same driving conditions is to take a drive on a specific route with the stock diverter, then take the same route with our big diverter and log the intake temps, and how long it took them to get to their min temp. Also have to log boost and outside temps because those will be variables. In reality this all takes time and we've been more focused on building the product than telling you how good it works. I've got it on my car and I've noticed a good improvement in temp recovery from stop to go.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 AM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
Just visually comparing the new versus stock, it sure seems like it will make an improvement. Anything to improve temperature management underneath the bonnet of our little cars is a good thing. I am picking up my GP today from the shop (a bunch of various maintenance items and work, including some nice bits 'n pieces from Way Motor Works), and they tell me the GP is scampering like a scalded cat (well, they didn't use that phrase, but that is how I interpreted their positive report over the phone).

Old 12-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Madpoodle
2nd Gear
Any installed pictures?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GP Intercooler diverter

I got one of these, and it's great, but it's rubbing on my bonnet. It makes an awful clunking/rattling sound in high torque situations where the engine is rocking forward slightly.
Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggested solutions?

I removed the plastic hood scoop liner under the bonnet and it's better, but still clunking, not to mention that it no longer seals properly with the bonnet underside.

The two rear corners are digging into the bonnet liner as well.

PS: Did I mention how great a part it is from a performance perspective? Absolutely will do a better job of directing the air where it needs to go. (If I can figure out this rattle problem)

Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have some data that shows the part is great from a performance perspective? It seems like a good part but it is expensive and I am not sure it is worth the cost so I am on the fence.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Not yet. It is winter, so the stock intercooler doesn't suffer from heat soak much. I am running a 17% pulley so I consider this 'insurance' more than anything else. Because it has 18% more area (13 vanes instead of 11), the 17% pulley + GP intercooler should deliver similar cooling performance to a 0% pulley + stock intercooler.

So I would suspect this part to give 10-18% gain in cooling performance just from its increased size.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by choro-q
I got one of these, and it's great, but it's rubbing on my bonnet. It makes an awful clunking/rattling sound in high torque situations where the engine is rocking forward slightly.
Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggested solutions?

I removed the plastic hood scoop liner under the bonnet and it's better, but still clunking, not to mention that it no longer seals properly with the bonnet underside.

The two rear corners are digging into the bonnet liner as well.

PS: Did I mention how great a part it is from a performance perspective? Absolutely will do a better job of directing the air where it needs to go. (If I can figure out this rattle problem)
Please email me a picture of the rubbing so we can let DDM know to keep this from happening.

info@waymotorworks.com

WAY

Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Please email that. I am interested in one of these but want any design issues worked out before I buy.

Sorry, not putting any problems on you but I have been the guinea pig for performance parts far too many times in my life.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Sorry for late reply.

I got this picture from the Internet.
The place where the diverter is rubbing is right where the main body of the diverter cover merges with the two diagonal screw points at the bottom.
I filed off the plastic ridges, but the parts still touch each other under a high torque situation such as starting out from first gear.
The noise goes away if I put some foam here but that's a kludge.

I also found that the extra pressure on the bonnet underside cover (in this picture) was pressing on the bonnet metal in a few places. I put small pieces of felt to prevent noise or potential bonnet indentation.

Also - I identified a different source of clunking when the under-bonnet plastic cover is removed. So when this part is removed, there is no clunking (but also no seal between the bonnet and the diverter).

Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Yea you were not suppose to keep that panel in conjunction with the DDM part. You need to remove the OEM plastic / foam diverter panel.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Are you sure? the parts mate up really well except for that rubbing. With that part removed, there are huge gaps all around (not just on top but on the front as well) which would totally compromise efficiency.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Take it off....it's not supposed to be there

The gap is probably from being crammed up against the plastic diverter for so long which is not supposed to be there.....perhaps you can readjust the upright sections of the IC's Diverter so it is closer to the bonnet. Do a little at a time and check it so you do not damage the hood as you dont want metal of the diverter rubbing against underside of bonnet.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty much any diverter is going to need some adjusting. With all the different scoops, there is no way one could work for all.

Quick Reply: NEW GP Intercooler Diverter