GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Replacement windshield for my GP

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:02 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacement windshield for my GP

I am getting my windshield replaced with an OEM windshield due to a large crack right up the middle. Did our GP's come with a rain sensor?

Have any of you replaced yours and is there anything I should know? I am thinking in context of the reported loud sound that sounds like a bearing going out and starts when you get over 115mph but you can push on the windshield by the mirror and it stops...at least it used to do this. I had heard it was something to do with the seal. What say your GP'ers?

Old 10-08-2010, 05:45 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I am not sure, but I would guess that your windshield and top gasket is same as a R53.

Most windshield replacement companies have a huge roll of this upper gasket material which is generic. We in the club here have always steered clear of this generic strip and buy the one MINI sells over the counter if an outside company performs the install.

Other than that, just go with a reputable company, preferably one recommended by your MINI Service Dept. if possible. There are a few fly by night companies out there and hopefully this route will keep you clear of any post install issues our cars have.

Things got so bad out this way, our MINI dealer in RI now performs this service in house. And the good thing about that is as clips break off removing the moldings (they always do) the parts dept counter is just a few feet away, so all trim pieces go back on nice and tight.

When other windshield replacement companies do it in your drive way ect, the MINI trim pieces are put back on the best they can and end up not being very tight due to lack of clips here and there......Ultimately in a few days parts can start to fly off while going down the freeway.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
No rain sensing on GP. And echo the advice to get a good installer!

Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
Thanks gents!

I know he is good and reccomended. Also does the MINI's at my dealer. I'll ask about the OEM gasket. Any idea what a dealer charges for that part?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also suggest having the replacement done at the dealer because of broken clips and the gasket/seal but it is expensive. I have seen a coulple people loose there A-Pillar cover after a windshield replacement because a non-dealer installer did not gat the cover on probably (probably broke a clip and did not have a replacement clip).

I have not had the windshield replaced on my GP but I did on my 03 MCS. My insurance company paid for the replacement under comprehensive. As I recall it was about $800 and it took overnight to let it cure probably.

My GP had the windshield squeal which I believe is related to the gasket/seal because after pushing on the windshield a few times it has not made the noise for many year and many trips over 115.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 AM
GP Steve
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my windshield replaced at a national chain windshield replacement company down the road from where i live just before the Dragon this year. I have had no problems, no squeaks, no leaks and no pillar trim damage. The installer even let me know that the pillar trim is tricky and if damaged during the switching of the windshield that they would replace the part, since he had done some MINIs before. My insurance covered all but $50 of the windshield and install.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
I got my GP back with my new OEM windshield. My deductible was $100. The installer used OEM materials and seemed to do a great job! Thanks you guys for the great advice!