General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the tire inflation system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:13 PM
ooglyboogly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the tire inflation system?

I just bought a 2016 Hardtop with 18k miles. Very clean and solid. When buying it at the dealer I noticed the tires weren't run flats, and I couldn't find any means of inflating a flat tire anywhere. The manual says it should be under the cargo area but the cargo floor is a thin piece of carpeted board that sits right on the sheetmetal floor. There is a jack recessed into the floor but no space for anything else. I left the dealer after business hours on Saturday, so the salesman said the service department will confirm the tires aren't run-flats on Monday. If they aren't the dealer said he will buy me whatever inflation kit belongs with the car.
My question is, where is it supposed to go? Under the rear floor mat there's no extra room... is it possible that this car originally had run flats and someone replaced them with regular tires? If so what are my options? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:40 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
It definitely came with runflats, and they were replaced. I've seen threads about people adding the OEM spare under the car - don't know if that's an option for you. (Doesn't apply for S models.)
Most carry one or more of:
Patch kit (Dynaplug is good)
Compressor
'Fix-a-flat' type liquid sealant

I'd be impressed if the dealer buys a 'mobility kit' for you, that's good service.
Welcome to Motoring!

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Ye, if they can throw you in a mobility kit that would work. I have one for both my MINIs.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-18-2018, 05:47 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
In some models like the R60 I believe the recess to store the compressor was under the passenger seat. Maybe at least take a look there.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
This is a new product, mine is the old one with a hole plug kit. This one looks to be easier to use though. Also, their detailing products are excellent.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/12v+tire+inflator+repair+system.do?sortby=ourPicks Ascend&from=fn

Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of us get rid of the run-flats as soon as they wear out, and use non-run-flats, which cost less, ride better, handle better, and wear longer. You can buy a spacesaver spare mounted on a wheel cheaply enough, then put it in the back seat footwell behind the front passenger seat. Your front passenger will lose about 1" of legroom, but that's really no big deal, IMO. The front seat itself will lock the tire into position so that it doesn't roll around or fly up in an accident. I've used this system on my '07 and my current '15. Get a set of tire irons and a jack. I personally also travel with an air compressor, a bottle of Slime, and a tire punch repair kit, because I live in a relatively rural part of Arkansas and I frequently travel with my MINI. So far I haven't had occasion to change a tire on either car, though (knocking wood now), but I have what I need just in case. BTW, if you carry people in the back seat, this might not work for you, but my rugrat days are long over.