General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opposite and Equal Reaction

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:15 AM
contented
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Opposite and Equal Reaction

As a first time Mini owner w/ 25k miles on a 2017 MC S convertible that we bought new, I recently upgraded to ST coilovers and NM GT rear sway bar. Handling improvement is amazing and its hard to wipe away the smile. But I'm reminded of Newton's third law of motion - "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction". The suspension upgrades gave me a lowered stance and great handling but at the expense of a a firmer ride and added road noise. Objectionable? No, but noticeable none the less.

Now, to tires and wheels. I've followed several threads here, one recently, where the original poster was looking to improve his ride and the general consensus was to go from 17" wheels/tires back to 16" to gain sidewall height and thereby improve ride. I'm thinking of doing just the opposite, 16" loop spoke wheels to a 17x7.5 or 8" w/ 205x45x17 Michelin Pilot Sports. All w/ the supposed purpose of improving handling. I spent the morning pulling off a wheel, measuring backspace, offset, clearance to struts and brakes, then generally pondering all of this. Perhaps even starting to rethink new wheels and tires.

Will I get improved handling w/ above the wheel/tire changes? No doubt. But will there be an opposite and equal reaction? Ride and noise? Will I be completing the process of turning my car into a glorious handling go kart that is noisier and and rides rougher than when it was new?

Any thought would be appreciated.

Contented

Old 07-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Old English sports car guys call that 'road feel'. It all depends on your motive. Another way to think of your equal and opposite formual is this: For every thing you gain, you have to give something up so keep what you give up in case you want it back. You've got THE best grin machine of the lot.

The following users liked this post:
contented (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
A MINI in stock form is a very good handling vehicle and I do mean any MINI. The main question is what are you trying to obtain with the car. A member made a recent post thanking me for a thread I had on the Tail of the Dragon, the Back of the Dragon and the Snake. He hit the Back of the Dragon on his way back to PA from FLA. He said he had never had so much fun going 45 MPH.

You want to take a Sunday drive, buy a Cadillac. Want to take some twisties, buy a MINI. Want to take some twisties and get some real good G's, modify the suspension on the MINI but don't plan on taking the significant other out for a Sunday drive in it.

The following users liked this post:
contented (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 04:41 AM
contented
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm a cross between "having my cake and wanting to eat it too" and knowing the answer before I ask the question. I do love this little car.