General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership issue, out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Kaane
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership issue, out of warranty

I just picked up a 2008 Cooper S. Car had a few issues but number 1 problem was starting issue and misfire at idle. Scanner showed misfire on all 4 cylinders. It would run ok at higher rpms, but at idle it would stumble and die and was hard to restart.

I put new plugs, did walnut blasting. Tested low pressure fuel pump. I used a scanner to watch high pressure fuel pump pressure, it was all over the place at idle, would not keep consistent pressure and it would drop as low as 500psi.

Armed with this information I drove it to the local dealer, barely getting it there due to the engine stalling like 20 times. I told the service adviser all the issues and they said it would be a few days. I also tell them that the fuel pump should still be under the extended warranty.

Car sits there almost 2 weeks before anyone looks at it. They call me friday and tell me the tech looked at the car and that it has broken chain guide and that the tech saw broken pieces with the scope. They say it needs all new timing chain and it will be $3000.

I tell them they are on crack, due to the car not having any chain noise at all, but I ask them to pull the valve cover and verify.

They call me back few hours later and say that they did take the valve cover off and magically the timing chain guides are perfectly fine, but the timing is way off. Tech claims one of the cams is not aligned and that is causing the issue. I am not convinced, but since there is no way to call them on it, I come to pick up the car.

I have the car towed home, buy the timing chain tool kit.

I put the car on my lift, take it apart, put the crank pin in place, put the lock bars on the cams and behold, car is perfectly timed, zero slack anywhere. So now i am beyond furious, if i was less savvy, I would pay them $3,000 for a repair the car did not need.

I am still convinced the fuel pump is bad.

What would you guys do in my position?

Old 12-03-2017, 05:32 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I know what I wouldn't do is take it back to the same idiots. From your description, it does sound like the HPFP. Is probably under warranty, I would call MINI America and see what they say after you tell them your story.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:46 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Yep, sounds like the HPFP. I know Mini extended the warranty on them, but I couldn't tell you the specifics. I'm sure someone will chime in. Agree that you should find a new dealer.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Nix on a dealership. Their service doctrine is to throw new parts and a problem and hope that fixes it. Find a BMW/MINI independent shop in your area who will trouble shoot a problem then FIX it. Example: Mine once went in to limp mode (took me 2 hrs on back roads to make a 40 minute trip). My main wrench dug in and found a broken wire in the steering gear cable run and FIXED it. Dealership would have probably replaced the whole steering assembly.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:25 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds liked a classic case of the dealership trying to avoid warranty work, (much lower labor rate). They want to sell you the higher "out of pocket" guesswork before doing anything covered under warranty. Find another reputable dealership.