General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Station Preference

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:35 PM
2017JCWerks
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas Station Preference

Does anyone have any preferences in gas stations? I know this is probably opening a can of worms here but I'm curious. My previous ecobox cars I didn't really care what went into them, as long as it was cheap and burned, but this car I do. I live in GA and have 93 octane gas here and most well known brands. I've only put gas in the car twice and went with the newest Shell station local to my house. What's your thoughts?

Old 08-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I avoid Shell since they up the price here substantially over the competition because of the supposed extra chemicals in the gas.

I use Chevron, 76 or Costco. Runs the same on all of them.

btw - own stock in Shell, Chevron & 76.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I go to COSTCO.....93 octane in GA... put in gas yesterday $2.59
A few weeks ago I was paying $2.10

Old 08-08-2017, 02:06 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I had been using Cumberland Farms due to the price efficiency over other local stations, but recently switched to Sunoco - they are the “Official” NASCAR gas, after all. For some reason, I’m getting better power and fuel economy since switching, so I might stick with them.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:11 PM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My MCS is a year old and he only eats Shell 93 octane. There's a Shell station a block from our subdivision which makes it convenient. FYI, stay away from Sam's Club and 711. Neither of those stations are top tier gas.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
GEN2 MINIs as you may have heard had problems with valve deposit build up (N14 engine as I recall)

This was eventually attributed to the use of 'inferior fuels' and use of 'top tier fuels' was recommended.

You may see a mention of this in your owner's manual.

You can Google 'top tier fuel' to learn more and see what brands qualify. BTW, higher octane is NOT a qualifier for 'top tier'.

Is this a valid point? Consumer Reports said YES .... 'top tier' did make a difference. Top tier is mostly about the 'cleaners' in the gas and these DO make a difference ....

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

the 'supposed extra chemicals in the gas' MATTER!!!!!!

on the other hand

the difference between regular and high octane is

3 or 4 HP at full throttle ......

b4 you decide to pay for higher octane I recommend you understand what 'octane' means ....

paying more will NOT get you more power under normal driving

and running 'lower' octane will not hurt your engine ....

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-08-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:32 PM
2017JCWerks
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
GEN2 MINIs as you may have heard had problems with valve deposit build up (N14 engine as I recall)

This was eventually attributed to the use of 'inferior fuels' and use of 'top tier fuels' was recommended.

You may see a mention of this in your owner's manual.

You can Google 'top tier fuel' to learn more and see what brands qualify. BTW, higher octane is NOT a qualifier for 'top tier'.

Is this a valid point? Consumer Reports said YES .... 'top tier' did make a difference. Top tier is mostly about the 'cleaners' in the gas and these DO make a difference ....

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

the 'supposed extra chemicals in the gas' MATTER!!!!!!
Interesting read! Thanks for the link. Looks like all the stations around me are top tier, so I'll just pick the least expensive and go with that.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:42 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Gas stations have to pay to be able to say they are "Top Tier".
I have been putting Costco gas in my MINI since before it was rated "Top Tier", the detergents added to Costco gas hasn't changed, they just paid off the "Top Tier" ad people.

"Top Tier" gas won't affect carbon build up on direct injected MINIs, but it is better for fuel injectors than gas without detergent additives.

Mini's blaming carbon buildup on inferior gas was a smokescreen, counting on people's ignorance of the real cause of carbon build up on the intake valves, a poorly designed PVC system.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:53 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
My MCS would idle rough once in a while. Pueblo gas (Phillips 66 and Sam's Club) is what I was using. Not consistent. Talked to my MA and he suggested Shell, what BMW uses in testing. Been using Shell and it runs perfect-all the time, never a rough idle and better (noticeable) mileage.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:57 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I have a couple issues with the cheap filling stations based on my 230K miles of MINI Motoring/being a moderator here/working at a MINI Dealership.

1) Problem with non Top Tier stations is where / how they get their fuel. My brother owns/operates a large hazmat company on the coast of MA. Besides oil spills off the coast/docks, often times one of their tasks is to remove in ground fuel tanks at filling stations. Usually due to leaks. Leaks also allow water/debris into the tanks....aside from performing soil boring tests, testing for water in the fuel is part of how they find rusted tanks.

Before removal of these tanks they are pumped out and that fuel goes to auction or bought back from original seller at pennies on the dollar. This fuel is resold to places like Sams, BJ's and alike. That is one reason for their cheap prices.

That said, I would never pump that resold crap in any of my cars.

2) Never knew anyone in my club, at a MINI event who had fuel issues after filling up at Top Tier filling stations. But I can think of at least a dozen cases, especially for specially tuned MINI's and Turbo models where they purchased fuel at no-name/cheap filling station that ended up with problems. Sometimes folks do it while in regions not familiar to them during a MINI event or on similar trip, sometimes it's all about $. End result is the same, engine driveability issues. It's a throw of the dice as to what your pumping in from these cheapo filling stations...and never a good situation to get into when 100's of miles from home....

Because of this I always carry a can of Seafoam in my R53 wherever I go. And it's not for me since I never go cheap on gas. It's for the owner who wanted to save 5/10 cents a gallon during a MINI run and needs to get home....

"Do you feel lucky !"

On a trip or in unfamiliar territory and looking for a Gulf, Sunoco, Mobil station....Use Waze application in your cell phone....works great for finding a Dunkin or Starbucks too.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Gas stations have to pay to be able to say they are "Top Tier".
I have been putting Costco gas in my MINI since before it was rated "Top Tier", the detergents added to Costco gas hasn't changed, they just paid off the "Top Tier" ad people.

"Top Tier" gas won't affect carbon build up on direct injected MINIs, but it is better for fuel injectors than gas without detergent additives.

Mini's blaming carbon buildup on inferior gas was a smokescreen, counting on people's ignorance of the real cause of carbon build up on the intake valves, a poorly designed PVC system.
Poor fuel, lower octane in S model is spoke in the wheel. Has to do with temperatures and burn rate as contributor to this problem.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by SFMCS
My MCS would idle rough once in a while. Pueblo gas (Phillips 66 and Sam's Club) is what I was using. Not consistent. Talked to my MA and he suggested Shell, what BMW uses in testing. Been using Shell and it runs perfect-all the time, never a rough idle and better (noticeable) mileage.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer QT, but as long as it's listed as top tier you're good:
http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Old 08-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wait. What!?! Nobody here uses BRITISH PETROLEUM (BP)?!?

I kid. I kid. Although, I've never had a problem with their fuel.

I try to take both my cars (the other is a WRX) to either BP or Shell.

At Shell I can use my Kroger fuel points to get $0.10 off per gallon.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
another hint

use a place that pumps a LOT of fuel .....

you don't want a mom and pop that gets the tank filled once a month .... especially if you are unlucky enuf to go in when their tank is near empty. THEN you get all the crud that settled in the tank.

FRESH 7-11 fuel is better than bottom of the tank old stuff.

editorial:

My 79 needs 90+ octane .... anything less and it knocks like crazy and diesels (runs after the ignition is off)

When I have tried using 'off brand' stations I've had problems several times ... the pump SAID it was 90+ but the engine said otherwise. Particularly annoying was when I paid $$ for 'no ethanol' 95 octane at a 'small place' and the car ran like crap.

I went back to a top tier station (with ethanol), filled with 92 all was well. I typically use SHELL in the 79 and have never had another problem . . .

Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM
MiniJDB
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shell 93, always

Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj

false news

Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
false news
Alternative facts

Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
91 octane toptier fuel for since day one. No problems

Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Arco 91 (top tier) for the last 15k miles and no problems. Wish they had 93 here in Cali though :(