General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking bout buying a Mini....

Old 05-27-2017, 06:06 AM
Dadmandude
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking bout buying a Mini....

I have been "researching" the purchase of a mini this fall. However, I have a few questions:
1-- I have heard that oil changes cost $150 to $200 each time. Is this true? Why?
2-- what are the top 3 usual maintenance items on a mini (2015 thru 2017)
3-- is there that much of a difference in power and performance between the Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S?

Thanks for your answers and additional thoughts.
Dadmandude, Indiana

Old 05-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dadmandude
I have been "researching" the purchase of a mini this fall. However, I have a few questions:
1-- I have heard that oil changes cost $150 to $200 each time. Is this true? Why?
3-- is there that much of a difference in power and performance between the Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S?

Dadmandude, Indiana
We charge $79.95 for a full synthetic oil change here at Princeton. $150 is thievery.

In regards to maintenance - the biggest expense will be brakes, at around $1200 for a full brake service (rotors, pads). After that, long-term, you'd be looking at tires, and then maybe the front suspension bushings.

Performance wise, you'll see a sizeable difference between the S and the Non-S (57 horsepower, 42 lb-ft of torque, better handling, better braking), however, the difference between the two is less now than it used to be. I honestly have grown to prefer the non-S, as I really enjoy the character and efficiency of the turbocharged three-cylinder engine.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:39 AM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A OEM MINI filter is around 10.00 on Ebay and A jug of Mobil 1 at walmart is 25.00.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:54 PM
lbovenzi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dadmandude

Dadmandude, Indiana
I think I can help a bit here. I get my mini's oil changed out via Mini dealership just so it helps bump the value and plus, its pretty darn cheap. Here in Austin I pay 60 bucks for the whole nine yards plus a free wash inside and out. Sure beats my e46 m3...

For question two, can't answer. R56 is the name of the game for me and I highly recommend the same to you if you plan on buying used/private (which I also HIGHLY recommend).

However, for number three theres a clear winner. You will be much happier with the S, trust me... Not only resale or value in general, but overall drivability, fun factor, noise, aftermarket capabilities and so on. Whenever I see a Mini non "s" I just feel bad for them. The one advantage for them is really MPG, and honestly, its not much better. I average like 35 with spirited driving in the city. I mean, the non S looks kinda like a boring city car, when the S looks like an actual performer. Just my .2 cents!

Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by lbovenzi
However, for number three theres a clear winner. You will be much happier with the S, trust me... Not only resale or value in general, but overall drivability, fun factor, noise, aftermarket capabilities and so on. Whenever I see a Mini non "s" I just feel bad for them. The one advantage for them is really MPG, and honestly, its not much better. I average like 35 with spirited driving in the city. I mean, the non S looks kinda like a boring city car, when the S looks like an actual performer. Just my .2 cents!
You can't compare R series to F series cars. I take it you are talking about R56 vs R56S.

F56 is different so don't be feeling bad for someone driving a basic F. They are getting better gas mileage and having just as much fun. I drive both and it is hard to choose which I like better.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:34 PM
lbovenzi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
You can't compare R series to F series cars. I take it you are talking about R56 vs R56S.

F56 is different so don't be feeling bad for someone driving a basic F. They are getting better gas mileage and having just as much fun. I drive both and it is hard to choose which I like better.
No intentions to spread the wrong emotions, just giving my .2 cents as stated. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. You must admit though that the body of the S does look miles better?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 AM
mransr
Neutral
no not really The rear for the F56 S looks OK, but IMHO the front end, specifically the lower grill area is too busy and a bit awkward looking. I much prefer the look of the base over the S. But that is why they make more than one flavor of ice cream.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I enjoy both the S and non-S cars - they're both a ton of fun to drive.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:49 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
S is Best!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:20 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
...and Red is the fastest color.

Motor On!

Old 06-01-2017, 11:57 AM
jYO
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To piggy back on this conversation, what about the difference between a JCW and an S? Worth it? Is the JCS a more expensive car around maintenance with the higher performing parts?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
...and Red is the fastest color.

Motor On!
Yep, my Scarlet is very fast...too fast, had to buy a Radar/Laser detector.....

Old 06-01-2017, 12:47 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Go with the JCW if you can. You will not regret it. The maintenance is about the same. One thing is you have to change the spark plugs more often. And if you have the BBK package you will have more expensive pads sometimes.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-10-2017, 04:37 PM
bhmini
1st Gear
I believe the JCW requires 93 octane while the "s" will do with 91. Not a big deal down here on Florida as 93 is the normal premium. I do not know of a station that sells 91 in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:35 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
bhmini I don't think that's the case, otherwise every California JCW would be handicapped from the start since we only have 91 here.

JCW isn't much more expensive to maintain. Probably the brakes and plugs like ECS says, but for stuff like oil changes, brake fluid, they follow the same recommendations as the S. Even then, an extra set of plugs is about $45 so not a real deal breaker.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:50 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Red makes a car go fatter and stripes on red, then you are just flying.

You can chew through tires. I put Falken's (Non-Run Flat) on Lucy this last time and they have been the best for traction and life I have ever had. I am just clearing 40K on them and still have 4/32's on them. On any of the Mini OEM tires or sold by the dealership I have rarely been over 20K. The all wheel drive leaves the wear extremely even where with my Clubman I would tear up the front tires.

I only drive floor-clutch-floor-clutch all of the time. At a light turning left I can hit third gear before I complete the corner. It is an immensely fun car to drive.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:53 AM
ptiller
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a '13 R56 for my 16 year old twins. I enjoy driving it so much I'm looking for an older S model for myself.

I want the S, or JCW at the right price, for more power. Older so I can mod the car without too much complaining from the wife.

I've owned Alfa's most of my life so parts cost is not a big jump.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:34 AM
bhmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
bhmini I don't think that's the case, otherwise every California JCW would be handicapped from the start since we only have 91 here.

JCW isn't much more expensive to maintain. Probably the brakes and plugs like ECS says, but for stuff like oil changes, brake fluid, they follow the same recommendations as the S. Even then, an extra set of plugs is about $45 so not a real deal breaker.

My mistake. The manual calls for 91, and even suggests the S and JCW can tolerate 89. Here in South Florida I could alternate fillups (at the half tank) between 87 (Regular) and 93 (Premium) and "net" 90. I don't plan to do this even though it would save, on average, about 15 cents a gallon. (Woohoo)!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:24 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
$30-40, do your own oil change. Yes get a JCW.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:43 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use OEM oil, so if I change it myself, it costs us around $65. The dealer in OKC normally charges $80, but they often run specials for $60 or $70. So, paying $5-$15 to get the oil changed isn't bad for us.

I think the most expensive maintenance is the alignment. It pretty much has to be done at the dealer. I've tried other places, but the alignment never sticks. It's cheaper to go to the dealer and have it done right. An alignment runs around $120 unless they're running a special. We've paid as little as $80 for an alignment at the dealer.

You also need to keep the tranny fluid changed, and it's much cheaper to do this yourself. I buy the fluid at he dealer. It costs around $50 for the fluid for our manual R53. (I've been doing this for 11 years, and the tranny is solid.) I haven't changed the Countryman's yet, but I'm assuming it will be the same. I change the tranny fluid every 30K.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2015 F56s. I do oil changes every 5k miles, so with the 3-year free maintenance I pay $85 every other time.

I'm almost at 20k miles and already have had to get new tires. The OEM tires are crap. Swapped out my Dunlop RTFs for regular Michelin pilot sport A/S3. WheelWorks had a special on alignments, $169 one time fee with free alignments after, anytime I think I need them, plus free tire rotation. Can't beat that. So far, I have about 2k miles on the new tires and alignment, no issues or complaints.

Search this Thread