General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sway bar hitting coilover springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Rear sway bar hitting coilover springs

I have a potential clearance problem I noticed when I was test fitting my new wheels yesterday. I was wondering if anyone has actually had this problem occur.

I installed Megan Racing Euro II coilovers and a 22mm ALTA rear sway bar. I didn't notice until yesterday that the rear springs on these coilovers aren't just one consistent diameter like most coilover springs are in the rear. The diameter of the spring is larger in the middle of it. With the fatter rear sway bar, there is probably 1mm of clearance between it and the springs.

I imagine that when the spring compresses it gets even larger in the middle, which I am thinking would hit the sway bar.

Has anyone had this issue? I haven't driven the car yet but I'm guessing it will be a problem. The only solution I have is either a smaller sway bar or a different set of coilovers...

Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 AM
Haag75
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know with my TC Klein Koni's that I can purchase multiple spring rates for my coilovers. You may check with Megan racing or even check the diameter and see if the springs at TC Klein will fit. I know their springs are consistent in diameter across the length of the spring.
But if you go that route make sure you pick the correct spring rate. If you don't get the right one it can throw out the handling.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Stupid question, is the sway bar installed correctly? There is a thread on here (i think) about a person installing their sway bar upside down

Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes lol, I just had to double check this morning though.

Different springs would work if I can find them. I drove it up and down the street a few times last night and didn't hear anything. I have my fingers crossed that everything will be fine.