General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damage at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 AM
celestialarrows
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damage at the dealer

So I took my car to the dealer(none MINI) for a wash(came with the purchase) and one of the porters ran it into a bimmer. The damage is minimul. Looks like a scratch but its more of a crease in the bumper and the lower light assembly is being replaced. The dealer is taking care of it and even threw in a free oil change which is well and dandy and they said they would be using all stock MINI parts but Im worried about a possible devalue on the car because of it going through body work. If I sell the car will it show up as an accident or at all. Its been two days now and Im stuck in this sad little civiv they set me up in and I dont know how this all work and was wondering if anyone had been througha similar experience.

2012 Coupe S

Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I could be wrong but if they dont claim it on your insurance then it doesnt get reported so it wont show up on CarFax or anything like that.

Just ask them exactly what you posted.

Also, never get a car wash from the dealerships. I work at one and the car washes are really damaging to cars.

Last edited by Mini_Vinnie; 03-18-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
It won't be reported as an accident unless they are stupid enough to enter it as one in the Carfax reporting system. Surely they aren't going to call insurance company, but ask about that as well. Make sure they don't and make them pay for a Carfax report six months after fix to make sure it doesn't appear. Ask for more than a free oil change for the issue. I'd want 10 oil changes or something else.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Unless it shows up on the Carfax, don't worry about it.

They're fixing it on their dime, you should be good - they're doing the right thing.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If the dealer or you turns it on insurance it likely can show up on a Carfax. So you need to make sure the dealer is just paying for it out of pocket and not insurance which would be the better option for them anyway as the cost is likely less than their deductible.

As for these dealer "free" car washes. I always advise customers to NEVER let them wash your car. I worked at a dealer for years and the kids they hire to wash cars often just don't care. They could drop the towel on the dirty ground and pick it right back up to scratch your paint and not even notice or care. Our biggest battle was these kids always laying the seats back and turning on some rap station for the 15min they were in the car going through the car wash so it's not worth the risk as the mentality we have to care for our car isn't there.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Free & worth every penny paid. It's a great way to screw up your paint. Guess you've learned a tough lesson.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 AM
druzmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hang something or post a sticky next time for them to not wash the car. I do it whenever I get an inspection on my Corvette. Telling them is useless it's a nice perk for those that don't care as much as some of us do for our cars but stressful for the ones that do!