General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 PM
mike chua
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Problems

Hi guys,

I recently got back my mini which was sitting in a local service shop for more than a year (hard to get parts in the Philippines).

Anyway, Im having some trouble with the remote on my key. The Unlock button still works but the lock button doesn't (even the small light doesnt light up when i press it).

A replacement key is going to cost me $400++ which is what the local dealer is charging. From some reading I take it that my only issue if I replaced this outside the dealer option would be to have it programmed and since my Mini is a Gen1 02-04 MCS R53 so then brings me back to possible coughing up the 400.

My question is this, there are keys available online. Bear in mind I just need the remote part of the key. Can i just swap out the circuit board where the remote buttons are and still keep my original transponder chip to use in my car? Would that be a viable solution?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Wanderlustsrt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post