General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Spyderdog
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a Cooper S

hello!

I am considering purchasing a 2013 Cooper S hard top.

Everything seems to be in line with my needs, but honestly I'm a little freaked out by the reliability horror stories that are seemingly all over the internet.

Are these things as unreliable as it appears?

Also, I live in Arizona, how do Minis cope with the heat?

Does the A/C hold up?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:03 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi Spyderdog,
There are horror stories on most makes and Models. The bigest problems with Mini Coopers are the crap CVT automatic transmisions in the gen 1 cars and poor engines in some of the gen two cars. I am here to tell you, I sell Mini Coopers and have had very few serious issues with them. poor maintenance seems to lead to more problems than anything else. Full synthetic oils are a must, radiator service and inspection is a must, timely air filter replacement is a must, brake service is a must and all of this is true of most cars on the road.
Make sure to get a car that has been maintained well and is in good order. You really don't want to buy other past owners mistakes. Having some mechanical skills will save you dollars in maintaining a MIni.
Again, start with a good car first. You can tell abuse and neglect. Stay away from them.
With that being said, I have two personal Mini S models and get a rush every time I drive them (almost every day).
If you don't know what to look for in a used car, get help from someone who does.
We hope you score a nice Mini S and find the joys that we have found with these cars, that drive like they are on rails and scoot through the curves like nothing else you have ever driven.
Best of luck!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Minis in good order, will nave no issues in Az. There are many there doing their daily job. Which is driving, that makes the old young and the young feel real life!

The AC kicks ***, when it is properly maintained.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
We have a 2012 MCS and live in Phoenix. No problem with the heat, AC does a good job keeping up.

Just keep in mind, Minis are a a European sports car. They are expensive to maintain and repair, think BMW, Porsche, etc..

Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Spyderdog
Neutral
ive owned a jaguar for the last 5 years. cant imagine maintenance is much more than that.......

Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Spyderdog
Neutral
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi Spyderdog,
The bigest problems with Mini Coopers are the crap CVT automatic transmisions in the gen 1 cars and poor engines in some of the gen two cars.
is there a big difference in reliability between the gen 2 and gen 3 cars?

Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had 3 R56's. Reliability hasn't really been an issue with any of them. Small parts break here and there but nothing has really been that expensive so far (knock on wood).

Old 03-02-2017, 12:28 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a '13 base model (justa). It is naturally aspirated while the S and JCW are forced induction. The base model is more reliable. My car has been 100% fool proof since new.

Also, I live in Tucson and the car is great even in the summer months. Good A/C.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:23 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I have heard that most of the Justa's (Gen 1-3) have been very reliable (aside from CVT and the N14 engine).

Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want near bullet proof reliability buy a Corolla. You'll be bored to death driving it around, but it'll be reliable. Mini's can be very reliable... see above comments, and 2013 or newer should be fine if it has been maintained. That's the key. One of the most fun cars you can experience and they are totally smile inducing.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Spyderdog
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
If you want near bullet proof reliability buy a Corolla. You'll be bored to death driving it around, but it'll be reliable. Mini's can be very reliable... see above comments, and 2013 or newer should be fine if it has been maintained. That's the key. One of the most fun cars you can experience and they are totally smile inducing.
after owning a jaguar for 5 years, the virtues of maintenance are not lost on me.

interesting that you mention Toyota. ive had 2 of them and they were both unbelievably awful. my first one caught on fire in my driveway for no apparent reason and my second dropped a tranny at 80k had never ending electrical issues and burned through a set of brakes about every 18 months. i will never own another toyota. my jag has been infinitely more reliable

Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Spyderdog
Neutral
Originally Posted by whaap

I live in Tucson and the car is great even in the summer months. Good A/C.
good info!

thanks!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Spyderdog
hello!

I am considering purchasing a 2013 Cooper S hard top.

Everything seems to be in line with my needs, but honestly I'm a little freaked out by the reliability horror stories that are seemingly all over the internet.

Are these things as unreliable as it appears?

Also, I live in Arizona, how do Minis cope with the heat?

Does the A/C hold up?

Thanks!
The 2013 should be the best of the gen2 hatchbacks so find one that has been maintained more than factory recommendation (minimum engine oil every 5-7k and auto tranny oil drain/fill every 10-15k), and has had the oil solenoid replaced. Low mileage is better, of course, as there are other items that might give issues after 30k.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:33 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Received 504 Likes on 352 Posts
Spyderdog,

Since you're in AZ, I'll assume local or within reasonable driving distance to Phoenix and surrounding areas? With your stated concerns, I suggest buying Certified PreOwned (CPO) from an authorized MINI dealer. After not finding what I was looking for private party on Craigslist, I bought mine from MINI N Scottsdale last May as CPO with 17k miles (nearly 19k now since its not my daily driver). Although an end of series 1st gen MCS is what I originally sought, instead I bought a primo end of series 2nd gen MCS. Those eligible for CPO extended warranty are quickly disappearing, however I see the mentioned dealer has (3) low mileage 2013 MCS hardtops in inventory. I won't post links to them but a few mouse clicks will get you there...

Old 03-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Spyderdog
Neutral
Originally Posted by MCS4FUN
Spyderdog,

Since you're in AZ, I'll assume local or within reasonable driving distance to Phoenix and surrounding areas? With your stated concerns, I suggest buying Certified PreOwned (CPO) from an authorized MINI dealer. After not finding what I was looking for private party on Craigslist, I bought mine from MINI N Scottsdale last May as CPO with 17k miles (nearly 19k now since its not my daily driver). Although an end of series 1st gen MCS is what I originally sought, instead I bought a primo end of series 2nd gen MCS. Those eligible for CPO extended warranty are quickly disappearing, however I see the mentioned dealer has (3) low mileage 2013 MCS hardtops in inventory. I won't post links to them but a few mouse clicks will get you there...

im not looking anywhere but CPO. Ive been very happy with both mini NS and mini of tempe during my now frequent visits there. both seem to be excellent dealerships

thx!