General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Buyers Guide/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Noob Buyers Guide/Questions

Hi guys. Skipping into section and just jumping in. Just sold my e46 and am looking for something a little roomier in the back for the dogs. Being in Chicago, mini fits the bill perfectly. Moving from community to community is pretty difficult. Been into BMW's for about a decade and know my way around pretty well. Moving to MINI is definitely a change.

I'm looking for a buyers guide/PPI checklist. I've read the motoringfile guide but it doesn't really give any insight. Through a bunch of searching I found the list at the bottom of this post, put there to keep post more readable.

Now it's not my first rodeo checking out a car and am *somewhat* competent, but I'm looking for some more common/living-with-the-car issues. I'm assuming there's at least SOME overlap with standard BMW issues, but need some more insight.

I think I read superchargers are typically good for around 100k before they need servicing? Is that a safe timeframe?
Do Minis have any subframe issues ripping out like most bimmer's?
Do headliners/pillar covers have sagging/peeling issues?
I know expansion tank is a problem area, how about the rest of the cooling system? Does it need to be replaced every ~60k like I'm used to? What's the typical timeline for expansion tank failure?
Same goes for control arm assemblies - failure rate every ~60k or so?
Any over-engineered parts to keep an eye on like VANOS or oil separator issues?
Power steering lines tend to seep and need to be replaced?

I think that's all. Any help is appreciated!

List I found on NAM
-- Lower control arm bushings (make sure they haven't stated to dry out and crack)
-- Strut towers (check for any mushrooming)
-- Door sills (the rubber door gasket is easily pulled up from the door frames and you can check for any signs of rust under there)
-- Crankshaft seal and the crack sensor O-ring seal (mentioned in the MF article; I just replaced the O-ring on my '05)
-- Power steering pump cooling fan (make sure the bearing isn't full of debris and the fan turns freely; consider getting a cover for the fan if it doesn't already have one. Here is one source <--link )
-- Battery (see if it still has the original; if so, consider a replacement)
-- Accessory drive belt (it will occasionally throw a tooth as it ages; usually can hear an extra tapping noise if this has happened)
-- Check the maintenance records to see if the oxygen sensor has been replaced (MINI has extended the warranty on this item to 10 years/100K miles recognizing some premature failures)

Old 02-10-2017, 08:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Here is a great overview and DIY: It goes over everything for a high mileage MINI, if you get a lower mileage MINI you might not have to do most of these.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-service.html

Get the inspection and check it out before you buy.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-11-2017, 01:46 PM
whippa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch the clutch if you go manual...not really designed for the upper HP of the tuned MCs..Some people go through multiple replacements on here..

Old 02-11-2017, 03:12 PM
streqicity
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so this is kinda petty but something I wish I knew about ... the factory halogen lamps are terrible and no amount of buying a brighter h7 bulb or polishing fixes that I would try to find one with the factory xenon projectors if you intend on doing any night driving outside the city

Last edited by streqicity; 02-11-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added polishing