General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decals/Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:37 PM
CHILLI.T
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decals/Vinyl

I'd like to remove the hood stripes that have been on the car since 2005.
Any tried and worthwhile methods to remove them?
Not too worried about fade at this point.
Now, as to replacing them.
If I do a simple double 6" black stripe with a 1" gap from bumper over the hood and down the back skipping the black top and sunroof, I'm looking for suggestions as to where to purchase decent quality material.
I've seen stuff on eBay from China. I've been told 3 M makes decent 6mm vinyl but haven't seen it for sale as a double stripe kit.
Thoughts and suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:33 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can do it for you as I've done for many MINI owners in NC. I'm located in Winston-Salem
PM me for more info

Old 02-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Absolutjh22
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patience and a little heat

Having worked in a vinyl sign shot for 10 years, I can tell you how to remove the stripes.

You will be doing this work at your own risk. NOTE: the adhesive backed vinyl can potentially pull the paint off of the car.

Tools needed:
- Adjustable temperature heat gun, or high power blow dryer (on highest setting) and an extension cord.
- NEW flat razor knife in a holder/handle (roll one edge of the blade up by dragging it at about a 30 degree angle across a stainless or other smooth metal tube; doing so will help keep you from having the razor knife cut into the paint. remember which side is rolled up) You could even use a new plastic paint scraper.
-Isopropyl alcohol (70% minimum) to remove the left over adhesive
- A couple of clean rags

You will be removing small sections at a time, so give yourself plenty of time to do this work.

Start in an area that will not be easily seen first. Using the heat-gun you will warm up a small section of the vinyl striping (start with a 6" x 6" area) continually moving the heat-gun; until the material is very warm (NOT HOT or bubbling). Using your fingernail or the razor knife (try your fingernail first, then use the razor knife if your nail doesn't work) pick at the edge of the vinyl, to begin to lift a corner of the vinyl. You will see that it is very well adhered to the surface, especially over the engine. The vinyl will most likely break off in small pieces and not come off without a fight. Stick to it; It will come off.

Now that you've got an edge started; repeat the process over and over and over until all of the vinyl has come off. You may be able to warm up larger sections as you go and get larger sections to come off, but you'll need patience. Pull the vinyl up, away from the paint. DO NOT try to pull the vinyl back across itself.

Once the vinyl is gone there will likely be a lot of adhesive left on the paint. This is where the towels and isopropyl alcohol comes in. Pour the alcohol on the rag, not the car. Using firm pressure, you will need to scrub off the adhesive. Keep rotating the towel to a clean section. You can try to soak the adhesive with alcohol by wetting the towel with the alcohol and setting the towel over a small section of the adhesive. This can help to soften the adhesive, but keep in mind that the alcohol will evaporate very quickly.

Once you have completed the removal you will most likely have fresh paint under where the stripes were. You can attempt to buff the paint, but it wont do much.

Next, find a reputable sign shop near you and have them make you a set of stripes. They will need to be custom cut as a straight stripe will not be straight on your car as the hood/bonnet etc is not flat.

You could ATTEMPT to install a set of 4" or wider stripes, but you'll end-up hating yourself as it will drive you crazy and they wont be straight. It really is best to pay the shop to design and install the new stripe so that it goes on just right and has a warranty.

Opt for the best quality of vinyl that they offer. Avery and 3M both make very high quality materials. The good stuff is only marginally more expensive but will last much much longer as it is thinner and has much higher UV inhibitors in the materials. The good vinyl should have a 6-8 year exterior use warranty against defects and discoloration.

The other option is to order them online http://prismvinyl.com/index.html

Ask for Brad or Stephanie.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:54 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
I just removed all the orange graphics from my MINI 2 weeks ago and the roof last weekend. The roof checkerboard had been on the car for 2+ years and did leave quite a bit of glue. The Lime Green was also installed last weekend with more to come. Please let me know how I can help. I've been installing/removing decals since 2004

Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 PM
CHILLI.T
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll be in touch!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
When you remove the decals after a long time you might get a little ghosting, but most of that can blend in with a good buff, and wax. Getting some of the 3M or Avery sticker residue will take some time.

Get good vinyl.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-11-2017, 03:38 AM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TWISTER

That is what I want on my roof (smaller matte black check), did you do it yourself or get it done? Any idea what that runs to get done?

Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
I did it with a friends help