General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My story..... so far

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:11 PM
rebonz
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My story..... so far

Back in the middle of July I became the proud owner of a 2010 MINI. Purchased from my local MINI dealer. It had a little over 83000 well maintained miles with full documentation. It was purchased with a 30 day 1000 mile warranty. Fast forward to Labor day. I am enjoying the beautiful weather and a nice ride when the car starts to idle really rough and feels like it will stall. It did this on and off for about an hours worth of driving. I stop for gas and when I start the car it is running incredibly rough with a tap. In less than a minute it smooth's back out and I proceed the one mile to my house. As soon as I pull up the driveway my yellow engine light comes on. I proceed to bring it back to my dealer the next morning. Thankfully they are not even ten minutes away. After about an hour they tell me they are reading a misfire on cylinder one. They give me a 2016 Clubman S as a loaner. My service advisor kept me informed all the while about what was being done. First they swapped the coils around to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. The next thing they did was swap plugs. That wasn't it either. They then swapped injectors and said the misfire followed the bad injector. Ten days latter they say my car is ready. My car was two weeks out of warranty so I still had a bill. They did help me out and I was able to enjoy the Clubman at no charge. The sad thing is two days after getting the car back it's doing the same thing again. Back to the dealer I go once again on Monday.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:48 PM
rebonz
2nd Gear
The car went back to MINI this morning. I was very upset when they informed me they had no loaner cars available. They gave me a ride back home. Thankfully I don't work Mondays. They did call me a little while ago and informed me that someone will pick me up at four and bring me to Enterprise rentals. MINI will pay for my rental until my car is ready or until they have a loaner available. Same issue misfire in cylinder 1.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
No idea where you're from so plug in your location into the below link to find a reliable independent MINI shop.
Since you are out of warranty, an indie will be less expensive and more than likely very interested in keeping you a happy customer by solving problems the first time. Eight years with my main wrench and there's never been a re-do.
http://www.minirepairshops.com/

Old 09-20-2016, 02:18 PM
rebonz
2nd Gear
Thanks Fly. In the future I will take it to an independent. That link was very helpful and I found a shop only a couple miles from work. The dealer has been very kind since I purchased the car from them. They are also highly rated for customer satisfaction.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Please keep us posted, and feel free to ask any questions of our tech expert along the way.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 PM
rebonz
2nd Gear
Dropped off the rental at my MINI dealer yesterday because they had a loaner to give me. I am now driving a loaded all4 Countryman S with only four hundred miles on it. Not a bad ride but nowhere near as polished or fun to drive as the Clubman was. I got a call late this afternoon that they found what they feel is the problem. They left me voice mail late today telling me the rings in cylinder one need replacement and will be doing a full ring replacement at absolutely no cost to me. They will have my car for at least another week. I will speak to my service advisor on Monday when he is back in because this conclusion sort of puzzles me. I have the Countryman to drive until my car is ready and I am pleasantly surprised all this work will be done at no charge. The story continues......

Old 09-24-2016, 04:13 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm happy to hear that they will be fixing the rings for no cost!