General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a "car show" question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:30 PM
53ryder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with a "car show" question...

Just brought my newly purchased 2005 Convertible (R52) home. Was just wondering if one were to it enter at a local car show would it be at home at a 'British' car show? Or would it be better received at a 'German' car show? Or both?

I acknowledge that Mini's were made in England originally starting in 1959. I also know that BMW has the rights to build cars using the Mini name. So I'm just curious which way is most accepted? Or does it matter? Is there a consensus on this forum?

Please accept my apologies if this is a tender subject for some Mini owners. Just buying one I am ignorant of many things Mini. The only way I'll lean is to ask questions!

Glenn

Old 04-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Opinion .. not consensus ...

I bought my first MINI in 2002 and my Mini in 2004

I started participating in Car shows shortly after getting the Mini - but was prompted to do so when someone approached me in my MINI and invited me to participate in a British Car Show.

All British shows I attend these days tend to have a class for NEW MINI or MINI, separate from the class for Mini or classic Mini .....

I can't recall ever seeing a listing for a "German" car show (I'm sure they happen, I just don't see them listed on the places I watch for car show announcements .... I don't see Italian car shows either). LBC's are very popular (Little British Cars) while almost all other makes tend to get bunched as "imports". That said, most car shows also just bunch Mini under imports. I can go to a car show every weekend, but only 2 or 3 ALL BRIT shows a year .... but BRIT LBC is the only "special" show I've seen.

IMO MINI is a Brit car .... but I have local that would be MORE than happy to go to fists on this point! He's a Mini fanatic and the MINI BMW connection will TOTALLY set him off . . .

History for a new owner of a MINI

BMW bought the 'name' but in the beginning all the MINIs were built in ENGLAND. BMW dealers won't work on MINIs (unless something has changed recently) but BMW dealers were offered the opportunity to establish the first US MINI dealerships ... as separate entities ... NO MINI DEALER will work on my Mini!!!!!!!!

When in the UK port of Southampton recently I saw MANY MANY MINI stacked up in garages, waiting to be loaded on to ships. The original hard-top is built in England .... new models???

I have a buddy with a 2003 MINI S and we 'car show' together. We go to many generic car shows and park his MINI next to my Mini and that generates a lot of discussions .. .

Old 04-12-2016, 03:19 PM
53ryder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Capt!

Thanks for the scoop about what happens around your neck of the woods. I've never owned a Mini of any kind before. Never owned a British made car or a German made car before either. Something new for me to watch for. Appreciate your response.

Glenn