General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Rentals

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Kdelder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tool Rentals

So here I am scouting around the interwebs looking to buy a Belt Tensioning Tool, and it occurs to me that maybe I could rent one from someone. The problem I am finding is that I can't seem to find anyone who would rent the special tools for our cars. So then the idea occurs to me that I could purchase the special tools for all the models and then rent them out as people need them.

It would make a readily available stock of tools without the need to purchase a tool that you might only ever need once (I mean really how many times are you going to change that supercharger pulley). Wouldn't you rather spend $5 or $10 dollars on a tool rather than $50 or $100.

Anyway I just wanted to see if there was actually a need for a service like this so if you are interested then please respond accordingly. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM
w35773
2nd Gear
I thought about doing something similar but the reward didn't seem to justify the risk. From the overwhelming response you received, I guess there's not much demand for such a service.

Anyway, best of luck to you!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is a great idea but may be difficult to get going. Although.....this would be wonderful if you were part of a motoring club. You may find a few local DIY motorers.....ask around. I wish you luck. It's a great idea

Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Someone in the community (WayMotors/helix/Craven etc...) would be smart to do this..

Parts place for VWs and German Auto Parts does it for all types of pullers, tools,etc.

Also check your local Autozone for generic tool rentals.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdelder
So here I am scouting around the interwebs looking to buy a Belt Tensioning Tool, and it occurs to me that maybe I could rent one from someone. The problem I am finding is that I can't seem to find anyone who would rent the special tools for our cars. So then the idea occurs to me that I could purchase the special tools for all the models and then rent them out as people need them.

It would make a readily available stock of tools without the need to purchase a tool that you might only ever need once (I mean really how many times are you going to change that supercharger pulley). Wouldn't you rather spend $5 or $10 dollars on a tool rather than $50 or $100.

Anyway I just wanted to see if there was actually a need for a service like this so if you are interested then please respond accordingly. Thanks.
FWIW - Autozone does tool rentals, though most of those are generic to all cars (spring compressors, brake caliper compression tools, AC refilling, etc). Either way, it's something: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ino...latLanding.jsp

May local BMW chapters also have free loaner tool programs. Their toolbox is unlikely to have a lot of custom MINI tools, but if you ask, they may be willing to expand the catalog.

Lastly - belt tensioning tool is something you are likely to need more than once. As in every 60K miles or so. I had mine replaced when my '08 MCS had its timing chain job done under warrant at 36K miles. It was already looking haggard, and I was happy to pay for the part. Labor was free as removing it was part of the timing chain job.

a

Old 06-12-2015, 05:56 AM
Kdelder
2nd Gear
Tools for rent

I now have available the following special tools for rent:

Time-Sert Spark Plug Thread Repair Kit for M14x1.25 thread.
$210 deposit. Will refund $180 upon return of the tool in good condition.

Front Control Arm Bushing Removal and Installation Press for R50/52/53.
Allows for removal and installation of bushing in car without dropping the subframe.
$105 deposit. Will refund $85 upon return of the tool in good condition.

Renter pays return shipping for tool. Tracking will be utilized in both directions.

Contact me through PM here for further details.