General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand Perception - Does MINI Top or Flop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
DrivingMyMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand Perception - Does MINI Top or Flop?

The results from Consumer Reports' 2013 Car Brand Perception Survey are in. How did MINI do in this survey that measures 7 key factors that go into car purchasing decisions? Check out the story.

Thanks!

John Lindauer
Driving My MINI
www.DrivingMyMINI.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/DrivingMyMINI
@DrivingMyMINI

Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM
jimmyd1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrivingMyMini
The results from Consumer Reports' 2013 Car Brand Perception Survey are in. How did MINI do in this survey that measures 7 key factors that go into car purchasing decisions? Check out the story.

Thanks!

John Lindauer
Driving My MINI
@DrivingMyMINI
I don't care what they say! I LOVE MY MINI!!!??

Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where I live a MINI is a very popular car. My son says all the kids in his school love MINI's and if your parents own one you're cool.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
R60All4
2nd Gear
In September 2012, I bought my first MINI. A Countryman S ALL4, it is a good car, from what I've owned it is not my favorite, but not my least favorite.
4 months and 15,000 miles later, I feel differently in my heart and mind about my purchase.
I bought the R60 because of 3 things, AWD, Xenon headlights, and turbo. in the 30k price, I went over by 1500$. My other options were a CX5, Tiquan, Juke, X1.
X1- options added up
CX5- no turbo
Tiquan- no HIDs/xenons except on top tier and Ive no need for those things
Juke- Hate CVT, No HIDs or even projector headlights.

I have found in my numerous down times and trips to the dealer, a severe lack of knowledge of the car and the MINI product as well.
No straight answers, no future insight, and the oddest issues with my own MINI.

~Perks
1- easy on insurance
2- it has the 3 required features
3- custom ordering is done right with MINI, no last minute "we added this ___ to your order" (Mitsubishi kept ordering Evo's with sunroofs until I took back my $$ and bought a wrx)

~Issuses with mine
1- last radio button does not work (the return to previous screen button/info)
2- driver door will not lock when other doors lock when I put it in drive.
3- Comfort Access button on driver door is useless, I have to use remote or button on passenger door
4- Key not recognized made me take a vacation day because car did not recognize the key, had to be towed.

~Complaints
1- WEAK AC (no I do not have a sunroof)
2- squeak, rattle, noise
3- useless sun visors
4- hand brake (i knew it going in) but on road trips with more than 1 persons belongings, its obnoxious and in the way
5- road noise, its nearly as bad as my straight pipe drone on my wrx

Overall, it works, but doesnt thrill me, I know negativity is not smiled on here, but Ive not had any issues with my other cars that I did not cause through mods/tampering/abuse. I do not regret my choice, but I have learned from it and I'll keep visiting the dealer until they fix it.

Happy motoring

Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like that Toyota takes the top and bottom spots of that list. I'm so tired of hearing about that stupid brand.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM
minibx
5th Gear
How the scores were calculated
The Consumer Reports National Research Center conducted a random, nationwide telephone survey of 2,034 adults from Dec. 6-16, 2012, and collected survey data from 1,764 adults in households that had at least one car.

I didn't get a phone call!!!!! Toyota is a great brand but I hate them

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM
seabeast
2nd Gear
I think these results are interesting, but only useful to marketing departments.

I mean, for Porsche to not make the top 5 in either performance or design is just crazy talk. As Consumer Reports says, "While the scores reflect a brand’s image in consumers’ minds, they do not reflect the actual qualities of any brand’s vehicles."

Not sure why there's so much Toyota hate here. I've owned a few over the years and they were fine. A bit dull, but practical and completely reliable.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
minibx
5th Gear
I agree they are one of the best in reliability so are Honda and Nissan but not many Toyotas are fun to drive at least not the ones that I had. I will agree that MINI has a long way to go in terms of reliability but the are so damn fun!!!!!! Is addictive

Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Location: Perth West Australia in an industrial unit with my numerous cars.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno what you people do to/with your MINI's to upset them. Our 3 have in excess of 375k km between them and have only had minor (fixed in less than 1 day) problems.
ie damaged wires, cracked thermostat housing, dead battery.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
It may be that everyone thinks because Mini's are made by BMW its a perfect car ?

Cars without some problems is just not possible; I guess it all comes down to the day of the week it was made no matter what brand it happens to be.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
No probs with either MINI I've owned. there was a small annoying rattle in the driver's door on one of them, but I've seldom been in a car where there were no rattles.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
DrivingMyMini
2nd Gear
I didn'g get a call either!

Originally Posted by minibx
How the scores were calculated
The Consumer Reports National Research Center conducted a random, nationwide telephone survey of 2,034 adults from Dec. 6-16, 2012, and collected survey data from 1,764 adults in households that had at least one car.

I didn't get a phone call!!!!! Toyota is a great brand but I hate them
I would have liked to be part of the survey too! It also seems like a pretty small sample of people. Also, they surveyed people that had at least one car in the family, I wonder if MINIs - because of their size - are more popular with two-car families.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
DrivingMyMini
2nd Gear
Good Cars...Not Fun To Drive

Originally Posted by minibx
I agree they are one of the best in reliability so are Honda and Nissan but not many Toyotas are fun to drive at least not the ones that I had. I will agree that MINI has a long way to go in terms of reliability but the are so damn fun!!!!!! Is addictive
Totally agree with you! I had a toyota as a rental car just before Thanksgiving. It was a good rental but it wasn't "fun" to drive. There is nothing passionate about driving it. Check out the short review I wrote.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM
DrivingMyMini
2nd Gear
Electrical Gremlins

Originally Posted by MINIFatherFigure
I dunno what you people do to/with your MINI's to upset them. Our 3 have in excess of 375k km between them and have only had minor (fixed in less than 1 day) problems.
ie damaged wires, cracked thermostat housing, dead battery.
I've had good luck with my MINIs as well. I've had an '08 and an '11 with no major problems at all. I have experienced the usual electrical gremlins (passenger window goes down when I click the drivers side control Up, and other small things like that), but nothing major. (so far!)

John
DrivingMyMINI
@DrivingMyMINI