General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving MINI Coast to Coast Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 AM
N666BK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving MINI Coast to Coast Advice Sought

I am starting big journey right after Christmas. This time from NYC to Yakima, WA. My Mellow Yellow Justa is three years young with 55K and she's been some funny places. However I never drove that far during winter time.

Seasoned drivers please share your tips and how-tos. I've already abandoned idea of Route 90 and taking 80 instead to Salt Lake City then north to Yakima.

Name:  NYC-Yakima.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  249.9 KB

If YOU go where would you overnight? I have a lot of time but not much money for touristy things. How many hours would you drive daily? Would you sleep in the car at least once? Any advice appreciated.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 PM
ViperNL
4th Gear
First off, get some good winter tires, you will need them, I run Blizzaks.

If you go non RFT get some stuff to fix your tires.

Get some basic survival stuff in your car, some water, blanket / sleeping bag, maybe a couple candles (and something to light them ) etc. just to be sure.

Be comfortable to work on your mini in case you need it and/or get a AAA membership.

Don't drive interstates if you can help it, you will see so much more. Maybe try to find a lonely planet for the USA, it has tons of info in it, even though it's often the popular stuff, it is popular for a reason

I'll post some other stuff if I can think of it

FWIW I drove from Anchorage to San Diego to El Paso to Salt Lake in an old Subaru Outback in three months time

Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ViperNL
First off, get some good winter tires, you will need them, I run Blizzaks.

If you go non RFT get some stuff to fix your tires.

Get some basic survival stuff in your car, some water, blanket / sleeping bag, maybe a couple candles (and something to light them ) etc. just to be sure.

Be comfortable to work on your mini in case you need it and/or get a AAA membership.

Don't drive interstates if you can help it, you will see so much more. Maybe try to find a lonely planet for the USA, it has tons of info in it, even though it's often the popular stuff, it is popular for a reason

I'll post some other stuff if I can think of it

FWIW I drove from Anchorage to San Diego to El Paso to Salt Lake in an old Subaru Outback in three months time

Thanks Viper. Good stuff! I just flipped my stock tires they are brand new and will take the beating. Please post more tricks. As you can see I already got candles and matches

Name:  candles.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  359.9 KB

Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Winter on I-80

You will be following the main truck transport route (I-80) across the country. So the odds are the roads will be plowed in the event of snow. Be very cautious starting about 3pm when wet roads freeze and you can get black ice - which is treacherous! Expect to see sections of snowpacked roads. Just slow down. If it snows your best bet is to stick to the Interstates - they get plowed first.

Once you hit Nebraska the traffic shouldn't be nearly as heavy. If you hit a big storm find a hotel and hunker down for a day. Hotels will fill up very quickly along I-80 in bad weather.

Odds are you will have no problems and the roads will be dry. But be prepared! Pay attention to the weather reports. Look out for the advisory signs that advise you to tune to certain radio channels in the event of weather. Public radio (NPR) generally transmits on the lower end of the FM radio dial.

Very common for the snowplows to also lay down sand. If you don't want your front end and windshield sandblasted stay well back behind trucks. Those delineator (reflector) post along the highway are usually 100 yards apart. That's a bit over 3 seconds at 60mph. I typically stay 2 posts behind until I see a good opportunity to pass. Then make your move and get it done - don't creep around at +1mph. If you start to hit fresh snow or slush let a big truck "break trail" for you. You're better off going 45mph and keep moving than find yourself in the ditch competing for a towtruck.

It will be too cold to sleep in your car. But you should have a sleeping bag, candles, warm clothes, winter boots, warm gloves, winter cap, quart of oil, water, snack bars, charged cellphone. Check your coolant and ensure it is good to -30F. From Nebraska on ALWAYS make sure you have AT LEAST a half tank of fuel in case you get stopped or have to turn around due to weather.

Nebraska fuel and motel stops: Lincoln, Grand island, North Platt.

In Wyoming gas stations can be 100 miles apart. Good places for fuel and hotels will be Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs and Evanston. I-80 between Laramie and Rawlins is usually the most "iffy" in the winter. If the weather is BAD the old route US30/US287 is safer and only about 20 minutes longer (exception to my earlier comment about sticking to interstates).

Utah: You will likely bypass Salt Lake City and take I-84 to Ogden. Utah uses lots of salt on their roads. Get it washed off as soon as you can. There is a MINI dealer in Salt Lake City (Mini of Murray).

The major truck stops are always a good place to stop and get updated road information.

Know your limits. If you're getting nervous then it's time to let the snowplows do their job. Do NOT use cruise control on icy roads.

By the way I get along fine with all-season tires. But I also have almost a half-century of experience with the roads and weather in the Rocky Mountain States. Slow down and give yourself space regarding traffic around you.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
#1 - Jealous of the title alone...
#2 - 55K and you're MINI has been to half the country??? Jealous again!

You're going to have a great trip - please keep this thread active with pics if you can. If it were me, I would bending south more. Just to try and stay away from the snow and get on less interstates. Good weather - more scenic. Bad weather - more interstates. If time isn't too much of a factor, of course.

Have fun and motor safely!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Thanks Beedeejay your suggestions are very valuable. I had bad experience with a snowplow already in Maine. Chipped windshield.

Name:  VT5.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 12-22-2012, 03:58 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy

....snip

You're going to have a great trip - please keep this thread active with pics if you can.

.....snip

Will do

Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Driven cross country

Points of interest driving 80
1. Stay in Park City Utah - beautiful
2. Bonneville Salt Flats

FWIW - on 5.1.2010 I woke in Park City with 8 inches of fresh snow - IYES IN MAY - do not be in a hurry - 80 is tough to travel this time of year

Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=N666BK;3646290]Thanks Viper. Good stuff! I just flipped my stock tires they are brand new and will take the beating. Please post more tricks. As you can see I already got candles and matches

Having lived in the midwest for ten plus years and traveled quite a bit during the winter, I would suggest the fat type candle along with matches in a zip lock bag,blanket, dry snacks, shovel, heavy gloves, hooded coat, extra socks along with the typical emergency mechanical supplies. One of the most important item is letting someone know your route and stick to it.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
JoeM56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just joined here

If you are who I think you are from your screen name I'm looking forward to your trip write-up. Is the RV still down for maintenance?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:38 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good smartphone to look for a hotel and then call ahead and get a reservation. Some days we'd quite early and some days late. Trying to make it to the next stop was too stressful. We've always made last minute reservations and never been without a room, yet.

BTW, I been through all 48 lower states, a coast to coast trip, a border to border trip, and Route 66 on a two wheeler. The cage has gone on further trips. The trick is to enjoy the journey, take plenty of photos and have phun!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
BeeDeeJay - that is some of the best advice. Good post.

Here is my 2 cents:
Get a ScanGage so you know what is going on with your engine. I think you can get one at Advance Auto and they are an easy hookup.
Buy a spare serpentine belt. Or have yours replaced before you go.
RFT tires...I would have them, but not necessary. I have them for the winter as I don't want to have to change a tire in the cold.
Little car air compressor...the all metal one from Harbor Freight is really good for the price.
A battery recharge pack for your cell phone.
A little snow shovel.
Check your oil every morning before you start out.

In Utah, go to Antelope Island in the great Salt Lake.

Most of all - have fun, be safe and let us know how it goes.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:46 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JoeM56
If you are who I think you are from your screen name I'm looking forward to your trip write-up. Is the RV still down for maintenance?
That's probably me if you can read screen name . The RV is in top shape flown yesterday and will stay untouched for couple months. PM me. Did we meet before somewhere in VA?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:50 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
[quote=Short Wait;3646368]
Originally Posted by N666BK

Having lived in the midwest for ten plus years and traveled quite a bit during the winter, I would suggest the fat type candle along with matches in a zip lock bag,blanket, dry snacks, shovel, heavy gloves, hooded coat, extra socks along with the typical emergency mechanical supplies. One of the most important item is letting someone know your route and stick to it.
Any reason for fat type candle?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S

...snip

A battery recharge pack for your cell phone.
A little snow shovel.
Check your oil every morning before you start out.

In Utah, go to Antelope Island in the great Salt Lake.

Most of all - have fun, be safe and let us know how it goes.
Is it possible to drive through Antelope Island?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 148 Posts
I used to live in KS and travelled in industrial sales. The weather can be brutal in a heartbeat. Used to carry candles, two coffee cans, snacks, blanket and spare warm clothes, boots, gloves, etc. One candle can put out a fair amount of heat. Why two coffee cans? One to melt snow in with the candles for water. The other to relieve yourself in. P.S.: Don't mix up the cans!

Old 12-22-2012, 06:21 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Get lots of audio books from your favorite authors! Really makes the miles fly!

Also, good comfortable sunglasses, something clean to wipe your inner windshield, cans of fix a flat, tire pressure gauge, flashlight and batteries, maybe a knife for self defense (heaven forbid), gum, red bull, ice scraper with a big brush on the other side, some extra oil for your engine, and a hat if you have a sunroof

And of course, sounds like your about ready for a tune up, plugs, oil, belt, alignment check, air filter, cabin air filter.

Last edited by astroBlackMetallic_Mini; 12-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Some more thoughts.

On I-80 the weather typically moves from west to east. So pay attention to the oncoming traffic. If it is still light out but they all have their lights on you are probably about to hit bad weather. Especially if their front is covered with ice.

Wyoming: If you go to this website you can get real time road condition information and see webcams the state has set along major highways. There are also links to comparable websites for surrounding states.

http://www.wyoroad.info/

Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by N666BK
Is it possible to drive through Antelope Island?
I believe it is on and off by the same causeway:
http://www.utah.com/stateparks/antelope_island.htm

I did get to within 20' of a group of buffalo (stayed in the car) and saw a wolf. Neat place to see if you have the time.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:17 PM
ViperNL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S

I believe it is on and off by the same causeway:
http://www.utah.com/stateparks/antelope_island.htm

I did get to within 20' of a group of buffalo (stayed in the car) and saw a wolf. Neat place to see if you have the time.
Was there Friday, and there's only 1 way in and out. You can drive around a bit. It's quite pretty there, but don't go in spring, there's biting gnats and a lot if them…

Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 AM
N666BK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by beedeejay
Some more thoughts.

On I-80 the weather typically moves from west to east. So pay attention to the oncoming traffic. If it is still light out but they all have their lights on you are probably about to hit bad weather. Especially if their front is covered with ice.

Wyoming: If you go to this website you can get real time road condition information and see webcams the state has set along major highways. There are also links to comparable websites for surrounding states.

http://www.wyoroad.info/

Thanks again. I read about "chain law" did you use chains and where to get them if needed?

Wyoming Chain Law 31-5-956(e) Effective 07-01-09

31-5-956 (e) Tires, restriction of travel under hazardous conditions; penalties

When the chain law is in effect due to snow, ice or other conditions, travel on a highway may be restricted to use only by motor vehicles utilizing adequate snow tires or tire chains, motor vehicles that are all-wheel drive or necessary emergency vehicles, including snow plows. In extremely hazardous conditions, travel may be resticted to use only by necessary emergency vehicles, including snow plows, and those vehicles utilizing tire chains or to all-wheel drive vehicles utilizing adequate snow tires with a mud and snow or all-weather rating from the manufacturer having a tread of sufficient abrasive or skid-resistant design or composition and depth to provide adequate traction under existing driving conditions. The prohibition or restriction of use shall be effective when signs, including temporary or electronic signs, giving notice thereof are erected upon that protion of the highway, and it shall be unlawful to proceed in violation of the notice.

The operator of a commercial vehicle shall affix tire chains to at least two (2) of the drive wheels of the vehicle at opposite ends of the same drive axle when the vehicle is required to utilize tire chains under this subsection......

31-5-956 (j) -Penalties - Any person who operates a motor vehicle in violation of these restrictions under subsection (e) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a penalty of not more than $250.00. Any person who operates a motor vehicle, where the results of the violation is an incident that causes the closure of all lanes in one (1) or both directions of travel of that highway, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a penalty of not more than $750.00.

31-5-956 (k) - As used in this section, "tire chains" means metal chains which consist of two (2) circular metal loops, one (1) on each side of the tire, connected by not less than nine (9) evenly spaced chains across the tire tread and any other traction devices differing from metal chains in construction, material or design but capable of providing traction equal to or exceeding that of metal chains under similar conditions.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Chain Law

No, I don't use use chains.

My suggestion is to just give yourself extra time. If a "chain law" goes into effect it will only be for a short period of time. Usually only a few hours. If it's that crappy you probably shouldn't be on the road anyway. Pull into a safe location (like a truck stop) and wait for the storm to pass. Then the snowplows will be able to get back out and the chain law will be lifted.

I-80 is a major heavy truck transportation route. Lots effort goes into keeping it open. And truck drivers hate having to put on chains.

Worst case scenario is that you hit a full scale blizzard, get stuck, your engine quits, and a window is broken. No heat, exposed to the outside temperatures. Definitely life threatening. Likelihood of this happening - not very high. But always have that scenario as a possibility in the back of your mind.

I have lived on the east coast and I'm aware of the different mindset of drivers from that area. Patience does not seem to be a common virtue.

Be prepared to exercise a little patience if necessary.

And don't outdrive your headlights. If you can not easily stop within the visibility of your headlights you are going too fast. It is not uncommon for wildlife to be on the highway. A MINI is not an ideal vehicle to take on deer with. At night I will often fall in about 4 reflector posts behind a big truck or SUV and let them assist in "clearing the road". Stay far enough behind so you don't irritate them with your lights. A vehicle that taps its brakes (or flashes it's headlights) may be trying to warn you of animals on the road.

PM me and we can exchange phone numbers. If I know when you're heading through WY and UT I could watch the road reports and webcams and text or call you with any important road information.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 AM
ViperNL
4th Gear
Of you ever get bored and want to do some off-highway driving, check out this site: http://www.motorcycleroads.us . But be aware some might be closed during winter, or a little more tricky.

What we're sort if missing here is whether this is a fun trip for which you have a month or two or if you're gonna start a new job and you have to be there by January 2nd. If it were me I would not be driving I-80 if I could avoid it, because you won't see as much and experience as much. There are gonna be spots where you can't avoid it though, but still. If you want to take a fun detour from Colorado to Utah, drive US-40 which starts west of Denver and meets I-80 at Park City. It's got great mountain scenery and you're not blasting by it at 80 mph. But that is if it were me of I had the time .

Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Cellphones

Much of western Nebraska and Wyoming are covered by regional cellphone companies.

Verizon has decent coverage along the interstates.

ATT and T-Mobile (and likely other GSM services) use the regional carriers through reciprocity agreements in much of this area. That is probably a non-issue since they will utilize roam mode.

However, if you are on a pre-paid plan quite often those plans ONLY allow access to THEIR network towers - they don't allow roaming. If that's the case for you Cheyenne will be your only Wyoming access point.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Where did you get you cool sig pic? I want one so I can do my MINI and myself.

Quick Reply: Driving MINI Coast to Coast Advice Sought