General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trucks or vans using high beams or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:08 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trucks or vans using high beams or not?

I've never driven a car as low as my MINI and am wondering if this is a quirk that you get with the car. When people are behind me, the headlights are freaking BRIGHT to the point that it nearly blinds me. I have no idea if they foolishly left their high beams on because this happens when the vehicle is a van, pickup or SUV. Do you have to flip the glare **** on your mirror when any of those kinds of vehicles is behind your MINI?

I'm not sure if this minor irritation is just the driving position in the car or people being careless and rude. Where I live, a LOT of people are mean drivers and think that nobody else's safety is their concern. They'll shove, fight, speed, cut you off everywhere you drive, run stop signs (yes, quite a few don't believe in stop signs!). One guy even passed me illegally on the highway by driving along the emergency lane, rolled down the window and screamed obscenities at me. Wait a minute moron, YOU were breaking the law the way you passed everyone. Don't diagonal white stripes mean you can NOT drive over them?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Not just your area I promise........

Been said some 60% of all people are on some sort of psych drug, especially the way the doctors and pharmaceutical companies like to push their pills these days....so bad now that even the vet's are prescribing these type of pills for dogs and cats for behavior issues.....

I tinted my rear window....seems to help the auto dim rear view mirror.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my windows tinted and it doesn't bother me now unless they are coming at me from the front.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I think the fact the MINI sits so low, it sits in beam pattern that is desging to light the road...so it looks much worse...I notice it SO much more in my MINI than my other vehicles!!
That having been said, I think about 20% of the jerks on the road just don't know any better, and are using ONLY their hi beams....IMO just as bad as the NITWITS that think they have automatic headlights, that drive around with their 60% intensity daytime running lights glowing, AND ZERO TAIL LIGHTS!!
Just for folks who don't know, Daytime running lights will run the headlights (usually) on reduced power (voltage), BUT DOES NOT TURN ON ANY OTHER LIGHTS!!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It gets worse when you lower your car.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:10 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
While on drive yesterday and remembering this thread, realized there are more folks these days attempting to re-adjust their own headlights...not a good idea w/o a HD board infront of the vehicle.

I suspect this also includes truck owners who also have a tendency to sport cheap HID kits in their original Halogen equipped headlight housings.....as if it were not bad enough before.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Psquared
2nd Gear
I have a bone-stock 06 Tundra and will routinely get told I'm "#1" when I pull up behind a MINI-sized car at a stop light.
I don't intentionally aim my headlights in the mirror or anything, it must be just the perfect height to **** people off.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Scamp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Psquared
I have a bone-stock 06 Tundra and will routinely get told I'm "#1" when I pull up behind a MINI-sized car at a stop light.
I don't intentionally aim my headlights in the mirror or anything, it must be just the perfect height to **** people off.
Yup, nothing like throwing a single digit salute at some ignoramus hitting you with their brights only to have them really flick on their brights. Ouch.

Not that that's ever happened to me personally of course...

Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 AM
BigCanoe
2nd Gear
I was thinking the same thing today. Since its dark and I commute on the highway, its unbearable. I am eating headlights the whole way. I want to install a flip up mirror that covers the rear hatch, would that be legal

Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
mona5255
2nd Gear
Dotto the headlight irritation. Maybe a digital banner in the rear window saying "back off ass_ _ _!#\&$@#!!!! Or a paint ball gun aimed @ those trucks! LOL we can dream can't we?!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 10-23-2013, 07:22 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mona5255
Dotto the headlight irritation. Maybe a digital banner in the rear window saying "back off ass_ _ _!#\&$@#!!!! Or a paint ball gun aimed @ those trucks! LOL we can dream can't we?!

Before 2005 (think the part changed in 2004) gen1 cars had a rear washer sprayer that could be turned to spray the car behind the out....was a very popular thing to do...

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM
mona5255
2nd Gear
Never heard that - now thats funny