General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane?

First, I apologize for starting a thread on a topic that I'm sure has been beaten to death, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do a topic search.

O.K. here is the question -- owners manual says 91 octane, MA said 89 is just fine. He says that's what they use when they fill the car up for delivery. So, to the assembled wisdom here at NAM, what should I use?

Old 08-04-2012, 04:44 PM
jonabad
2nd Gear
On my 08 and 11s, it's been 91 but i think it's 89 when you absolutely positively can't find 91.
The gas filler door will be the last word.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd trust the engineers who dictated what is written in the manual and on the door cap over the guy who's only job is to sell you the car.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Do not use less then 91. By using anything less the computer will retarding timing to avoid detontation. Its not a good thing. If you use anything less ad an additive to boost octane.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM
SouperBuddha
1st Gear
93 all day! I usually fill at Costco so choices are only 89 or 93. Even at other gas stations i choose 93, in the end the only difference is a few dollars per fill, so why not use the best for the best?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
91 is west of the Mississippi. Us east coasters have that jungle juice 93. Try to stay with 91 and above because you run the risk of detonation which will fry your engine.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?
Find out what it costs to replace the O sensor then decide if you want to save a couple of bucks at the pump.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of you that want to learn a little more about the octane rating and what why it's important to the engine, please read this in its entirety ...

http://www.turborx7.com/fuel.htm

It's rather long but well worth the time spent!

Last edited by mbu; 08-04-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
eppyphotog
Neutral
Stopped by the dealer today to ask the octane question. My MA said to avoid Costco gas and only put Premium (91) Shell, Chevron or QuickTrip (in Arizona). He said Costco gets the bottom of the barrel as far as blends and additives goes. Also suggested that I put Techron in every 3K miles to keep system clean and avoid carbon build up. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
mini rocket
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have worked in the refining/pipeline group for a Top Tier company and all gas from every refiner is mixed together in the pipeline unless the company has its own local terminal to supply the company owned stations. The difference is in the "additive packages" that each refiner designates. You have EPA & CARB minimum specs that all stations must meet. In essence the top tiers add more volume in an additive pack versus a lower tier gas, but all pipeline gas is generic..

Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
People on car forums often recommend gas listed at www.toptiergas.com. Supposedly, they all have additives/detergents that help prevent deposit build-up. Among those listed are 76, Chevron, Conoco, Exxon, Mobil, Phillips 66, Shell, and Texaco, but there are others.

I used to use Techron (a detergent additive) occasionally until I discovered that it was already in the gas I was buying. Many gas companies apparently add that or its equivalent.

A petroleum chemist once posted a long description of the different fuel additives used by the various companies. He rotated every three tankfuls among three fuel brands in the top tier list to insure that his engines worked through all the desirable additives over time. No, I don't remember which brands were in his rotation because I didn't plan to be that compulsive. I do use top tier brands, however. Hope I don't find it's all a myth on Scopes.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
kidziti
3rd Gear
Wish I could remember the results of my organic chem lab years ago in which we took samples from gas stations and actually tested the octane - but I seem to remember some measured ratings being less than advertised.

But let's say that the difference between 91 and 89 is 20 cents. That means a ten gallon fill-up would cost $2 more to ensure the higher octane edge. That's insuring your investment for what you would spend on a donut and a cup of coffee - and perhaps only once a week. A no-brainer - I'll skip the apple fritter. I never go for less than the top octane at any pump.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM
razz
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eppyphotog
My MA said to avoid Costco...He said Costco gets the bottom of the barrel as far as blends and additives goes.
Wow...your MA must have access to some deep source information from within Costco. But I doubt it.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Andrew_C
2nd Gear
I wish there were top tier gas stations within 100 miles of where I live so I have to live with the 93 that flows from whatever station I can find.

I usually fill up with BP since it's recommended in the owner's manual(which is odd since it's not a top tier gas provider). Then again, I've only put two tanks of gas into my car. lol

I don't understand why someone would skimp on octane to save money then turn around and buy a bottle of booster. Unless someone changed the rules of math; $.20 x 13 gallons is cheaper than a $5 bottle of octane booster per tank.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
If you buy it by the gallon on Amazon.com, it is cost effective (.60/15 gal) but you either have to put it into small bottles or use it when you get home. It would be pretty good if you couldn't find 91 octane and were too cheap to buy 93.

I'm still looking for stations that sell 91, until then I'll be using 93 unless I'm just topping off in which case mixing in some 89 will still keep the gas in the tank at the 91 minimum.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Oops! My bad, the Lucas octane boost is $6.00, the fuel treatment is much cheaper.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Andrew: BP is British Petroleum, so it's an appropriate fuel for the MINI.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Retired Rev
MA said 89 is just fine. He says that's what they use when they fill the car up for delivery.
They are being cheap and they shouldn't do that. MINIUSA wouldn't be happy about it if they knew.

BMW/MINI engineers tuned the engine based on 91 octane. The engine will self adjust to lower octane gas, but there may be some loss in performance or mileage.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM
OhBe1
2nd Gear
My gas cap says 89 minimum, and to use fuel additive regularly. No specification on what additive.
OM says 89 AKI minimum, but recommends 91AKI, and recommends 93 AKI for JCW.

Last edited by OhBe1; 08-23-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Andrew_C
...BP since it's recommended in the owner's manual(which is odd since it's not a top tier gas provider).
BP used to be a Top Tier gas.

BP let that lapse shortly after Deepwater Horizon. I guess they had more important expenses to address rather than maintaining the Top Tier designation. No doubt, their gas formulation is the same or better than it was when they were listed as Top Tier.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:01 AM
epeel
2nd Gear
The Federal Trade Commission's take on octane:

"Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.

Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

Regular octane is recommended for most cars. However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, need mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock."

The posting goes on to say that each state has it's own definition of what constitutes "premium" and, obviously, the best solution is to actually look at the octane number and not the word description to make your selection.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut12.shtm

Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by epeel
Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

Regular octane is recommended for most cars. However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, need mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock."
MINI manuals say 91 is "highly recommended".

Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Retired Rev
First, I apologize for starting a thread on a topic that I'm sure has been beaten to death, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do a topic search.

O.K. here is the question -- owners manual says 91 octane, MA said 89 is just fine. He says that's what they use when they fill the car up for delivery. So, to the assembled wisdom here at NAM, what should I use?
I use 93. Rather be safe and spend the extra 10c/gallon....

Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
All we have locally is 91 so when we travel and have a chance to get 93, the li'l guy just trips out.

Quick Reply: Octane?